Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: applesauce
Updating for post-covid
STATE, City
Hotel name; Operator: Dates
Details (offered, asked, invoked?)
United States
CA, San Diego
Guild Hotel, Tribute Portfolio: ; 11/21

GA, Atlanta
The Burgess, Tribute Portfolio; ; 07/23
No lounge. No breakfast. Claims exempt as a "boutique" hotel. Did not invoke.

TX, San Antonio
St Anthony Hotel; Operated by BC Lynd (?); 11/22
$15pp but does not include tax or tip. Only found out at checkout.

Mexico

Print Wikipost

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I contacted the general manager, Thomas Foti, regarding the stinginess of the Platinum Elite breakfast benefit and got something better. The Marriott email address format is [email protected]
If you don’t mind being specific, what did they offer you?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Naturally the guy put out a tip jar pre-populated ten- and twenty-dollar bills
That would certainly encourage me to leave a tip - a note saying "don't expect something for nothing".
Temedar, CCIE_Flyer and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That would certainly encourage me to leave a tip - a note saying "don't expect something for nothing".
I have a huge problem with tipping at buffet restaurants, especially if all you do is refill my water and maybe bring me a coffee. Many buffets even have self-serve coffee.

But as I understand it, a tip based on the bill is supposed to be shared by both the waiter and the kitchen staff. So, the cook -- I doubt he's an actual chef, notwithstanding the silly hat they sometimes wear -- at the egg station should be sharing the tip the waitress receives.

Another scam involves the elite breakfast vouchers, which are supposed to include tip and tax. Many customers don't realize this and still tip.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I have a huge problem with tipping at buffet restaurants, especially if all you do is refill my water and maybe bring me a coffee. Many buffets even have self-serve coffee.
I think it's appropriate to tip at a buffet, but at a significantly lower rate than you would at a full service restaurant. Obviously you have to factor in the quality of service you receive, as well. I've had everything from 0 star service (Sizzler's.... 15ish years ago, one of two times in my life I've stiffed a server), to near 5 star service (Bellagio's Buffet, I have her name written down somewhere, I think it's Maria. She took care of us multiple times over a 2 year period, she was so friendly, genuinely nice, she brought us food that she thought we would enjoy, etc).
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
But as I understand it, a tip based on the bill is supposed to be shared by both the waiter and the kitchen staff. So, the cook -- I doubt he's an actual chef, notwithstanding the silly hat they sometimes wear -- at the egg station should be sharing the tip the waitress receives.
there is a term for that approach which seems fair but the term is called "class action."

if an employer is taking the tip credit for the minimum wage, tips can't be shared with the kitchen.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum

Another scam involves the elite breakfast vouchers, which are supposed to include tip and tax. Many customers don't realize this and still tip.
Yes, some vouchers do include the tip. However, I was told by one of the waitstaff that the tip amount that they received from the voucher was only $2, regardless of breakfast cost.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by arkangel
Yes, some vouchers do include the tip. However, I was told by one of the waitstaff that the tip amount that they received from the voucher was only $2, regardless of breakfast cost.
I was told that corporate sends vouchers to the property. These vouchers say "complimentary breakfast" and specifically include tip and tax. If a property isn't using these vouchers then they are deliberately not using the vouchers Marriott intends for them to use. It would be interesting if someone could confirm this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:02 am

I was told that corporate sends vouchers to the property. These vouchers say "complimentary breakfast" and specifically include tip and tax. If a property isn't using these vouchers then they are deliberately not using the vouchers Marriott intends for them to use. It would be interesting if someone could confirm this.
Interesting. The vouchers I got at Beaver Creek were KESSLER HOTEL $10 dollar vouchers. Didn't have Marriott ANYWHERE on the voucher. FWIW you couldn't even tell you were at a Marriott branded property EVERYTHING still said Kessler at the Lodge.

FWIW I pushed the subject and got Free Breakfast for the 3 nights (out of 7) not b/c they changed the $10 policy, but b/c nobody had responded to my numerous requests for help. So I can confirm $10 it is.

What stupidity when Rates are over 1K per night. I would make it a positive and charge 20 more per room (nobody would notice) and INCLUDE breakfast for everyone!!!
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by jr1202sr; Jan 2, 2019 at 7:11 am
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Add JW Marriott Cancun to the list

Continental breakfast is an option as a platinum benefit — you have to choose between continental breakfast or 1000 points, or the snack and welcome drink option.

Continental breakfast includes a yogurt, cereal, bread and coffee or tea. Upgrade to the buffet breakfast is approx $20.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by anaggie
Add JW Marriott Cancun to the list

Continental breakfast is an option as a platinum benefit — you have to choose between continental breakfast or 1000 points, or the snack and welcome drink option.

Continental breakfast includes a yogurt, cereal, bread and coffee or tea. Upgrade to the buffet breakfast is approx $20.
Did you complain? Time for a Trip Advisor review.

How do they do breakfast? Is it boxed? Do you get seated in the regular restaurant? Any pictures?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:32 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by flyguy6
When was you stay? I had a stay a couple of months ago at the Winter Haven and had a different experience. I was given a choice of points or breakfast voucher. I do remember the exact amount it was for but covered a good full breakfast. I have some other grievances about this hotel (resort fee, rooms, no upgrade, etc) but breakfast is not one of them.
Stay was two weeks ago. They said that they don't own the restaurant so they don't offer breakfast there. Interesting. Sure hope they weren't trying to discourage me out of a full breakfast!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:48 am

Renaissance Chicago Downtown does not provide breakfast, Note it was over weekend and lounge was closed
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MrMan
Renaissance Chicago Downtown does not provide breakfast, Note it was over weekend and lounge was closed
The Renaissance Chicago Downtown is one of the dozen-plus properties exempted in the terms and conditions.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi#elite
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:57 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
The Prince de Galles not offering eggs is cheap. It wouldn't cost a damn thing, especially with their margins. It's about cheap owners, period. Breakfast buffets offer huge profit margins.
So it wouldn't cost them anything, but they're ... doing it to save money?

Cultural norms are different. Your definition of "breakfast" isn't the objectively correct one.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:59 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
e.g your proclamation in the skymiles forum that shirmp and grits served at dinner was scandalous and "pathetic" (IIRC).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.