Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: applesauce
Updating for post-covid
STATE, City
Hotel name; Operator: Dates
Details (offered, asked, invoked?)
United States
CA, San Diego
Guild Hotel, Tribute Portfolio: ; 11/21

GA, Atlanta
The Burgess, Tribute Portfolio; ; 07/23
No lounge. No breakfast. Claims exempt as a "boutique" hotel. Did not invoke.

TX, San Antonio
St Anthony Hotel; Operated by BC Lynd (?); 11/22
$15pp but does not include tax or tip. Only found out at checkout.

Mexico

Print Wikipost

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Reid
Might as well throw the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel on the list as well. They will not offer the platinum/titanium welcome benefit for the breakfast in the restaurant. Requested numerous times, escalated to manager on duty, and then escalated to corporate (case was closed by the hotel without response twice). At the end, the benefit was not honored, and the platinum guarantee compensation was not paid out. The hotel is under the impression that if the lounge is open, they do not need to offer that welcome gift option. Even a link to the terms would not sway them.
You need to contact corporate:

Arne Sorenson, CEO <[email protected]>
David Flueck, vice president of loyalty <[email protected]>
Guest Experience Supervisor Escalation <[email protected]>

I hope you've also wrote this up on Trip Advisor.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
You need to contact corporate:

Arne Sorenson, CEO <[email protected]>
David Flueck, vice president of loyalty <[email protected]>
Guest Experience Supervisor Escalation <[email protected]>

I hope you've also wrote this up on Trip Advisor.
​​​​​​​I emailed David Flueck two weeks ago, no response there either. I didn't want to email all three corporate contacts at once, but maybe that's what I should have done. I haven't written a review on TripAdvisor yet.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I emailed David Flueck two weeks ago, no response there either. I didn't want to email all three corporate contacts at once, but maybe that's what I should have done. I haven't written a review on TripAdvisor yet.
You could always send a letter via Priority Mail to get their attention. I suspect very people send written correspondence.

[Name]
Marriott International
10400 Fernwood Road
Bethesda, Maryland 20817

Alternatively, 301-380-8646 is the fax number for the CEO's office. Marriott wants us to fax hotels so you might as well fax Marriott.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The hotel is under the impression that if the lounge is open, they do not need to offer that welcome gift option. Even a link to the terms would not sway them.
Are they genuinely mistaken, or "we don't care what it says, you're not getting a restaurant breakfast." I'm guessing the latter.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:10 pm

Just clarifying that if a Renaissance has a lounge and is open, they do not have to offer free breakfast in their restaurant right?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Marriott15
Just clarifying that if a Renaissance has a lounge and is open, they do not have to offer free breakfast in their restaurant right?
that's correct.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Marriott15
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
that's correct.
If the lounge is actually serving breakfast. I've been at properties with low occupancies where the lounge remains open but isn't serving food that day. Instead, eligible guests were given coupons for the restaurant.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Gold; Marriott Platinum
JW Marriott Los Cabos... Continental breakfast in restaurant for 2 guests each day (fruit and toast/pastries, coffee, juice)... Not bad!
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pheenblat
JW Marriott Los Cabos... Continental breakfast in restaurant for 2 guests each day (fruit and toast/pastries, coffee, juice)... Not bad!
This property doesn't like elites. Period. It's too bad because it's a beautiful property.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Pheenblat
How did they handle it if you wanted a hot breakfast? Would you receive a credit or upcharge toward other breakfast options?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
The more people who complain the more likely it is that Marriott will force properties to comply.

Every lounge breakfast in North America has always had sausage or bacon, hot eggs, yogurt, oatmeal and cereal. If that's the very minimum for what's defined in the terms and conditions as a "continental breakfast" then that's what the very minimum the property should have to provide in the restaurant.
I got an apologetic email from the hotel (and 5k points) and did offer some polite ("speaking only as myself"-type) feedback along with a thank you for the response at least asking for the ability to get a credit towards the full breakfast.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:23 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Every lounge breakfast in North America has always had sausage or bacon, hot eggs, yogurt, oatmeal and cereal. If that's the very minimum for what's defined in the terms and conditions as a "continental breakfast" then that's what the very minimum the property should have to provide in the restaurant.
I'm an originalist. My interpretation is based upon a plain reading of the terms and conditions as the words are written and generally understood to mean. I don't read anything into the terms that isn't actually printed.
Originally Posted by Collins English Dictionary
A continental breakfast is breakfast that consists of food such as bread, butter, jam, and a hot drink. There is no cooked food.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dayone
A continental breakfast is breakfast that consists of food such as bread, butter, jam, and a hot drink. There is no cooked food.
There is no commonly accepted definition of a continental breakfast in North America. Marriott's standard of a continental breakfast, judging from the lounges, includes at least oatmeal, eggs and some sort of meat, all of which require cooking. But it doesn't matter because we are talking about restaurants, which are supposed to serve eligible elite status guests "breakfast" and not a "continental breakfast."
Horace likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:38 am

continental breakfast is "generally understood" to mean ... no cooked food.

In any case, you seem to be implicitly arguing that "breakfast" is the same as "non-continental breakfast" but there'e no basis for that.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Sheraton Waikiki in full compliance! They have a great lounge with hot food for breakfast, but at check-in I was offered buffet breakfast in restaurant (Kai Market) in lieu of 1000 point welcome amenity without prompting. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.