Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be Aware, All Marriotts Have an Internal System Where they can criticize you!!

Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Marriott's privacy policy includes the ability to request all personal information.
Privacy Policy: https://www.marriott.com/about/privacy.mi

To obtain a copy of your personal data, click Privacy Rights, then click the link 'this form'.

FWIW: Thread about requesting Hilton data: Hilton personal information request
Print Wikipost

Be Aware, All Marriotts Have an Internal System Where they can criticize you!!

Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:23 pm

Every company that does business in CA will have to allow customers to retrieve all their information including those from internal systems in 2020 as a result of the new California privacy law. Many of these companies are busy deleting comments or even retiring these systems as a result.
Thunderroad and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:27 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
honestly carrying a personal thermometer is a bit over the top
Haha, I cannot deny that it is. But my natural comfort zone being so cold means I take it seriously when I genuinely check with hotels about their ability to cool rooms/suites. At home, I sleep at 65 F. I have 2 back up/redundant air con systems just in case. If a hotel cant keep it cool enough for meas does occasionally happenIm happy to stay elsewhere, but I do need an honest answer.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Kacee
a bit?
Just hope that if it breaks that its not full of mercury.

I have some devices that take room temperature amongst other things but I cant see myself carrying a dedicated thermometer to measure room temperatures. But I guess that room temperature focus and tool is one way to more effectively be difficult with a hotel that fails to deliver a comfortable enough room.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:30 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

You seem to have missed the entire point, which is that it depends on what the hotel has written down. Which may have very little relation to what actually occurred.
That can be just as true here on FlyerTalk! Just because someone writes it down doesn’t mean it is an accurate depiction or even true at all. We can’t control that, much as we much prefer otherwise. That’s life.

And yet here we are.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by mikebor
Great comment, but what constitutes abuse and how fair is it? Let's say the front desk agent is rude and rolled her eyes and talked down to guest. Guest gets upset, raises voice, calls her rude, asks to speak to supervisor who doesn't really care. Escalated to manager who apologizes but guest unhappy and tells manager they will never stay again. Manager puts in the internal database that guest was irate and yelling and cursing and abusive. Guest wasn't any of those things but manager puts it in anyways because well, he or she can. Maybe manager didn't like guest's tone, maybe manager is having a bad day, maybe manager backs staff no matter what and doesn't believe guest. Heck with this internal system you don't need a reason it seems, to access it and skew the story to fit their narrative. And 99% of the time, the guest will never know that the manager put extreme fabrications and lies into this database and that from now on if they want, basically any front desk employee can access and read these lies. Yup, real fair.
This could be a huge defamation and false light lawsuit.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
You seem to have missed the entire point, which is that it depends on what the hotel has written down. Which may have very little relation to what actually occurred.
If you create a big fuss over some honest mistake, then you deserve a negative note.

Im not missed the point and as others have wrote, if you deal with hotel staff in proper manner, then there are no reason to put negative comment.

I have experience similar issue .... checked in, room is not ready, so I let fda do the paperwork and ask them to call me when room is ready as I have other things to do.
Hotel did call me in the afternoon but I only manage to pick up the key very late (11pm or so). Went to the room and realise the mistake, I return to front desk to inform them the mistake. After checking my confirmation email, they realise the suite I booked was sold out. After long wait ... almost 2 hours, finally they assign higher category suite.
During the process I never create a big fuss or anything.

I dont see the reason for hotel to put negative notes for this issue.

And I really dont see hotel staff wrote negative notes on anyone unless the interaction with the said person is really bad.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Great comment, but what constitutes abuse and how fair is it? Let's say the front desk agent is rude and rolled her eyes and talked down to guest. Guest gets upset, raises voice, calls her rude, asks to speak to supervisor who doesn't really care. Escalated to manager who apologizes but guest unhappy and tells manager they will never stay again. Manager puts in the internal database that guest was irate and yelling and cursing and abusive. Guest wasn't any of those things but manager puts it in anyways because well, he or she can. Maybe manager didn't like guest's tone, maybe manager is having a bad day, maybe manager backs staff no matter what and doesn't believe guest. Heck with this internal system you don't need a reason it seems, to access it and skew the story to fit their narrative. And 99% of the time, the guest will never know that the manager put extreme fabrications and lies into this database and that from now on if they want, basically any front desk employee can access and read these lies. Yup, real fair.
In a vacuum, this certainly can be but isnt likely to be the problem you imply. If one manager from one property has written commentary that is negative, I doubt most properties will take that too seriously. If several different people have written commentary that is negative from several different properties, however, it looks more damningand it suggests that the guest really may be a problem.

When there is a proponderance of negative comments indicating much the same thing about a guest, either its a conspiracy against the guest or, more likely, the guest is truly the problem meriting such negative commentary.

Sometimes, a person defamed is getting their just desserts.
Newman, est-gratuite and kaizen7 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
honestly carrying a personal thermometer is a bit over the top
As I got older I found it harder and harder to sleep in warm hotel rooms. I also noticed that rooms seemed warmer than the thermostat indicated. I now travel (domestically) with an alarm clock that has a thermometer. I found that in a fair number of hotels, the room thermostat reads about much cooler than it really is. I've had this conversation with a tech sent to look at the A/C more than a few times

"The thermostat says it's 68 in here"
"It's actually 73" *points to thermometer*
"Uh, let me check the central system"

And that night the room is a lot cooler and the thermostat and the thermometer read the same temperature.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
interesting thread. Most electronic medical record systems (EMR) also have fields for staff to put notes about problem patient behaviour. If someone yells at the physician's receptionist, for instance it will usually be documented these days.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:10 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
This was news in the WSJ back in 2006. 😊

http://www.columbia.edu/~rk566/Larry...el%20(CRM).doc

Now they are going a step further: discreetly monitoring what guests do during their stays and then recording that information in computer systems that are shared by the hotel company's different properties.

What is generating the most concern is the reliance on sharp-eyed-and-eared employees to pick up on and record clues. The hotel industry calls its data-collection procedures "capturing" information, but some travelers worry they amount to snooping.

Last edited by damon88; Dec 23, 2018 at 3:55 pm
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by kaizen7

If you create a big fuss over some honest mistake, then you deserve a negative note.

Im not missed the point and as others have wrote, if you deal with hotel staff in proper manner, then there are no reason to put negative comment.

I have experience similar issue .... checked in, room is not ready, so I let fda do the paperwork and ask them to call me when room is ready as I have other things to do.
Hotel did call me in the afternoon but I only manage to pick up the key very late (11pm or so). Went to the room and realise the mistake, I return to front desk to inform them the mistake. After checking my confirmation email, they realise the suite I booked was sold out. After long wait ... almost 2 hours, finally they assign higher category suite.
During the process I never create a big fuss or anything.

I dont see the reason for hotel to put negative notes for this issue.

And I really dont see hotel staff wrote negative notes on anyone unless the interaction with the said person is really bad.
No you are missing the point. That hotel that I mentioned in my original post put in that internal system that I spit food on the floor in the lounge!! And basically implied that I didn't care and implying I did it on purpose. Most absurd, ridiculous and totally false on so many levels!! Why, because I didn't like a useless lounge attendant glaring at me because I messed up the floor? Or me telling her that I didn't appreciate her whispering about me(which I heard) to her repeat guest buddy she was sitting with. So I was slandered and false comments were put in there about me when I chocked on food and luckily I didn't die or need medical assistance. I complained to the mgmt the next day and they gave me some half-hearted apology. So they decide to lie and bad mouth me in that system for everyone to see. And we as guests have no ability to do ANYTHING about it. And like I wrote earlier, most guests don't even know about this. It's unfair and most of the time a completely 1 sided story skewed to favor the hotel and bash the person.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Bro don't take this the wrong way but just reading your comments on here, you are most likely the prime example of being written about in that internal system and not in a good way.
And yet I am treated extremely well by almost all hotels. Im upgraded all the time. I dont think my comments are as negative as you believe. And if they are, it doesnt seem to be impacting my stays at all.

Theres a big difference between being high maintenance with air con and confirming in good faith before booking to be sure hotels can accommodate my air con requirements. I do the latter.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sunil
Every company that does business in CA will have to allow customers to retrieve all their information including those from internal systems in 2020 as a result of the new California privacy law. Many of these companies are busy deleting comments or even retiring these systems as a result.
I welcome such data privacy/disclosure laws.

Retiring the systems doesnt mean the data is necessarily gone from being retrievable by the company. But it could mean the data is gone, depending on what is done when retiring the systems.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by bhrubin

And yet I am treated extremely well by almost all hotels. Im upgraded all the time. I dont think my comments are as negative as you believe. And if they are, it doesnt seem to be impacting my stays at all.

Theres a big difference between being high maintenance with air con and confirming in good faith before booking to be sure hotels can accommodate my air con requirements. I do the latter.
Okay and I'm treated well with the vast majority of Marriotts I stay at as well. But because of that system which doesn't allow us to dispute anything that's entered, and the fact that I stay 300+ nights a year for like 5 years now, there are just more opportunities for myself to have some challenges. And because of that, I get some vindictive and straight out lying staff to lie about me or the situation in question. And it is now affecting my ability(although rarely as of now) to even check into a property. Hence the recent Residence Inn example I gave. Instead of that temp GM researching how to disable the motion sensor in the room, she researched me from that internal database and told me I wasn't welcome to check in. It's wrong on so many levels.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Um don't take this the wrong way but just reading your comments on here, you are most likely the prime example of being written about in that internal system and not in a good way.
Which is worth noting. Despite the fact that some might describe BHR as very high maintenance, he hasn't been uninvited and continues to be treated as he expects.

As we think about the quadrant with level of maintenance on one part and level of return on another part, seems like some customers might be considered high maintenance/high return.

Frankly, I doubt the typical hotel even looks at this info unless there is an issue. Considering they don't always recognize status or pre-upgrade guests, it seems unlikely they are paying any attention to this in most cases.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.