Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be Aware, All Marriotts Have an Internal System Where they can criticize you!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Marriott's privacy policy includes the ability to request all personal information.
Privacy Policy: https://www.marriott.com/about/privacy.mi

To obtain a copy of your personal data, click Privacy Rights, then click the link 'this form'.

FWIW: Thread about requesting Hilton data: Hilton personal information request
Print Wikipost

Be Aware, All Marriotts Have an Internal System Where they can criticize you!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bhrubin
It’s interesting how I’m an Ambassador guest who also requires excellent and constant air con for any hotel at which I stay—so much so that I get a guarantee in writing or identifiable manager on the phone confirming the hotel room/suite can maintain 67 F or cooler. And yet I’ve had many hotels that didn’t satisfy that requirement over the years, and I’ve always held the hotels to their guarantee.

I’ve always been firm but polite, insistent but courteous. And I’ve never had a single hotel refuse me service despite my more challenging requirement. I wonder if the same can be said for the OP.

Many if not most hotel chains/groups and even many finer restaurants have systems in place to keep track of commentary about customers.

It seems to me that only those who are disruptive, rude, or needlessly annoying should worry about any records of previous complaints. When complaints are reasonable, such a record goes to help future hotels plan accordingly to better satisfy their customers. When complaints are unreasonable, such a record goes to help future hotels perhaps avoid such customers.
I suggest that you make an effort, when next in the EU/EEA, to try to get all the info that Marriott has about you. It could be a fascinating or boring read, but we won’t know how much you mind about what’s actually in there until after you’ve actually read it all. Or do you have a (non-retail customer) business relationship with Marriott or part of Marriott that has already come with access to this kind of info?
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
It’s interesting how I’m an Ambassador guest who also requires excellent and constant air con for any hotel at which I stay—so much so that I get a guarantee in writing or identifiable manager on the phone confirming the hotel room/suite can maintain 67 F or cooler. And yet I’ve had many hotels that didn’t satisfy that requirement over the years, and I’ve always held the hotels to their guarantee.

I’ve always been firm but polite, insistent but courteous. And I’ve never had a single hotel refuse me service despite my more challenging requirement. I wonder if the same can be said for the OP.
Would you mind being more specific with your resolution process? It sounds like you're thorough enough where the process would be informative, thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
And worst of all, now with the recent data breach....China, Russia and North Korea now know that I require lavender scented bubble-bath soap and four extra pillows at all full service properties....sigh.
margarita girl and ctbarron like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:37 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I suggest that you make an effort, when next in the EU/EEA, to try to get all the info that Marriott has about you. It could be a fascinating or boring read, but we won’t know how much you mind about what’s actually in there until after you’ve actually read it all. Or do you have a (non-retail customer) business relationship with Marriott or part of Marriott that has already come with access to this kind of info?
I know this might be of interest to many, but I honestly could care less. As long as I’m getting the good service and Ambassdor recognition I typically receive, I really don’t mind.

I live my life without worrying about what anyone else might be saying about me. Good or bad. It is what it is. So I certainly am not going to care too much about what hotels may or may not say. I try to be honest about what I want and expect, and I also try to have a good time and show appreciation when someone helps us. I’m also happy to take some lumps along with the pretty impressive service experiences I’ve thus enjoyed at a host of excellent Marriott/former SPG properties.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I believe the term is 'Difficult Guest' in the hotel industry.
And it's DYKWIA on FT.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Would be interesting if one of our European members on FT would request this info and see what it says.

I'm also curious about how easy it is to access and whether the average hotel knows to look at it. One change in the recent past is that hotels no longer tell me how many points I have at check in. That was fairly standard for years,. Wonder if they've changed the amount of info available at the property or whether they just changed the checkin protocol.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Well, I, for one, knew nothing about such customer information systems, so I'm glad the OP alerted us..

It's hard to draw any conclusions, however, without seeing exactly what's in it, what the format is, etc. People have noted the problems this presents if there's a lack of context (e.g., a person with 300 stays is naturally going to have a lot more comments). But we don't know that. It seems very likely to me that it would be part of a larger profile, which would likely include statistics on all your stays. Maybe some insider will relent and give us more details on exactly how this works.

As a footnote, such things did not exist when I worked for Hyatt 30 years ago, needless to say. But when you had repeat guests, everybody got to know who the problem children were, as well as the great guests. There was a lady who came to the Austin Hyatt who was a Courtesy Card holder. Don't know if that still exists, but at the time I was told there were only about 400 of them, and they were all friends of the Pritzkers. If one were to call for a room and you were sold out, you were supposed to kick out someone to accommodate them! Never happened that I know of. But this particular woman was the best guest ever. Calm, professional, empathetic, accommodating. I loved seeing her show up (and she liked me, too!) I would imagine if you're a regular guest at a property (as the OP seems to be) they would know you well enough to determine if those comments were valid or not.

On the other hand, while we didn't have a system like this back in my day, there WERE places you could make notes on the reservation. One time a reservations agent typed "Pty is an a**hole" in the Special Request field. See, the thing was--if you followed a comment in that field with 2 asterisks, it was invisible to the guest. Otherwise, it would print out on their confirmation (back when we mailed out written confirmations). Said agent forgot the asterisks, and guest received a confirmation reading "Pty is an a**hole." Much hilarity ensued.
bhrubin, barracuda93 and Dave510 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:06 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Zelucifer
Would you mind being more specific with your resolution process? It sounds like you're thorough enough where the process would be informative, thanks!
I know I require my room to be cold so I always ask for a guarantee in writing on or before booking that they can guarantee 67 F or cooler. I also carry a personal thermometer (given to me by the Prince de Galles Paris hotel!) to measure myself and keep eveyone honest. When a hotel doesn’t measure up (the RC Dallas, most recently), I ask for an appropriate rate reduction or a comp’d night as appropriate. I always ask a hotel to fix it the air con when I arrive and discover it to be problematic; if they cannot, I ask to be moved to a different room and/or appropriate service recovery to compensate.

I complain about the following most often:

(1) air con not working as promised
(2) air con shutting off overnight despite promises
(3) butler or guest relations phone ringing and not being answered
(4) lack of blackout shades
(5) poor housekeeping/lack of turndown for appropriate luxury hotels
(6) terrible wifi
(7) slow room service or lukewarm room service

I am never passive aggressive; if something bothers me, either I call and complain to get it resolved then and there or I tend to move on. When a hotel impresses me or generously upgrades me, I tend to let a few things go before I would call to complain about something (except for air con!); to me, a gracious or generous hotel has done well by me already and therefore deserves a chance to two to make some minor mistakes.

I always try to be fair and appropriate. But I also am of the firm belief that when a hotel really screws up, it should cost the hotel in some way as compensation—or else the hotel never really learns because there was no consequence. I call it like I see it. The RC Dallas has horrible WiFi of 0.5-1.5 Mbps, so I didn’t think twice about asking for a rate reduction. That is unworthy of any luxury hotel—and they should know that. Together with the poor air con there, I thought $125 off per night wasn’t asking that much at all.

But when a hotel offers me more than I think is fair, I ALWAYS say so and try to decline offers that might be too generous. I had an unnamed luxury hotel once offer us (without any request from us) a free 2500 euro benefit as recovery for a mistake that wasn’t nearly that bad; I had to decline. The hotel insisted, and I eventually accepted—but I had made it clear that I thought the hotel was being overly and unnecessarily generous. But I’ll stay again at that hotel without a second’s hesitation.

I also try to leave tips for hotel staff at hotels that have treated me very well. I don’t always remember to do this, but I often do. Hotel teams always appreciate that. Whether or not that goes into the commentary, I don’t know. But I still don’t care. As long as those I appreciate know that I appreciate them, I’m quite happy.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:28 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
honestly carrying a personal thermometer is a bit over the top
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Depends on how you make the complaints I guess.
You seem to have missed the entire point, which is that it depends on what the hotel has written down. Which may have very little relation to what actually occurred.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:11 pm

I do not stay enough but I wonder if they put down that you are always using discount codes and taking a couple extra sugar packets

I am sure ever business has a pain in the a... Customer list just to let the service people know..

Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Well, I, for one, knew nothing about such customer information systems, so I'm glad the OP alerted us..

It's hard to draw any conclusions, however, without seeing exactly what's in it, what the format is, etc. People have noted the problems this presents if there's a lack of context (e.g., a person with 300 stays is naturally going to have a lot more comments). But we don't know that. It seems very likely to me that it would be part of a larger profile, which would likely include statistics on all your stays. Maybe some insider will relent and give us more details on exactly how this works.

As a footnote, such things did not exist when I worked for Hyatt 30 years ago, needless to say. But when you had repeat guests, everybody got to know who the problem children were, as well as the great guests. There was a lady who came to the Austin Hyatt who was a Courtesy Card holder. Don't know if that still exists, but at the time I was told there were only about 400 of them, and they were all friends of the Pritzkers. If one were to call for a room and you were sold out, you were supposed to kick out someone to accommodate them! Never happened that I know of. But this particular woman was the best guest ever. Calm, professional, empathetic, accommodating. I loved seeing her show up (and she liked me, too!) I would imagine if you're a regular guest at a property (as the OP seems to be) they would know you well enough to determine if those comments were valid or not.
I believe further information about how the entry recorded would be great.

If the entry is just simply text that anyone can edit then I agree its pretty useless.
But if the entry have record who input the said entry, and time stamp then it will be less prone to abuse.
As the one who put the notes have to be responsible for that particular notes.

When I worked at a serviced apartment company, our cms have similar function.
We can add comments about particular guest and that entry will be stamped with our name and time and its visible to all properties.

Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
I've stayed 358 nights YTD at various Marriott/SPG hotels. I didn't need to do much complaining except for the usual variables. I've requested that the shower head wasn't working be looked at. The shower draining slow. The AC not working. Request for more water to the room. Botched room service orders. They've all been helpful or if they can't fix it I'll get another room. I did run into unfriendly front desk people sometimes but I never really let it bother me. The argument that the more nights you have means more complaining is not true. I asked the front desk today to look up my record about this and they had nothing bad on me. Also I would think they would compare how many nights you've stayed vs how many complaints they had on you. I've stayed over 1000 nights in the past three years and if I get 10 or 20 bad ones on me it's only 1% - 2%. If they did it unfairly I wouldn't really care either.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And it's DYKWIA on FT.
DYKWIA is part and parcel of dealing with Marriott/Starwood hotels as a customer, even those who are rather infrequent hotel customers and not on FT. It’s gotten a lot more infrequent to check into Marriott hotels without identifying photo ID than it used to be. And when customers check in Marriott hotels are increasingly eager to not only get photo ID, they also want to know more about their customers than maybe even DYKWIA peacocks realize.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are ways to let a hotel know of an issue without coming across as a complainer or a douche. As others have said, do it in a civil manner without raising voice or coming across bad. It is very easy to say OK, no problem, then just take your business to another hotel in the same chain or not.

And to OP, just because you are lifetime status does not mean you are bound to stay at only that chain. In fact, it is an opportunity to try another chain without losing your status in the chain you have lifetime status in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.