Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be Aware, All Marriotts Have an Internal System Where they can criticize you!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Marriott's privacy policy includes the ability to request all personal information.
Privacy Policy: https://www.marriott.com/about/privacy.mi

To obtain a copy of your personal data, click Privacy Rights, then click the link 'this form'.

FWIW: Thread about requesting Hilton data: Hilton personal information request
Print Wikipost

Be Aware, All Marriotts Have an Internal System Where they can criticize you!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Even Mastro’s and Fleming’s steakhouses have such customer management systems to keep track of guest details and preferences—and complaints. I’ve seen my list at one of those—it was hilarious to me. Reminded me of all the complaints and issues I most commonly have at restaurants: timing is critical, always medium rare and warm red center, don’t overpour glasses from purchased or BYO bottles of wine, allergies, always serve my Manhattans up, don’t bump into my chairs/booth, seat me with some decent space, I am demanding, I am fun, I have a twisted sense of humor, I can be loud, etc.

Similarly, these hotel and restaurant customer management systems are really only a problem if you’re a problem customer who either often complains, often is rude, and/or never has anything good to say or said about you.

In fairness ... seems you like you may identify issues (note I didn't say complain ) more than average but that's different than being rude or not having anything good to say.

But despite identifying issues of concern to you, you're not being uninvited from Marriott properties, Mastro's, or Fleming.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:24 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
In fairness ... seems you like you may identify issues (note I didn't say complain ) more than average but that's different than being rude or not having anything good to say.

But despite identifying issues of concern to you, you're not being uninvited from Marriott properties, Mastro's, or Fleming.
Indeed. And thanks.

My Ambassador and many different hotel and restaurant GMs, hotel front office managers, and hotel guest relations managers have shared that while I may be demanding and high maintenance, I also am a pretty fair, fun, and constructive guest in terms of my criticisms. The things I don’t like tend to be the problems about which complaints are justified to their minds. I have always taken that sentiment to be the highest of compliments.

I also try to criticize by not attacking the staff but by highlighting the failure. I give credit where credit is due. I am fair and honest.

I also praise (and tip) quite often. I identify employees who have really impressed us. Who have gone out of their way to help us. Who have made a difference to us. That adds to my quotient of fairness when I do criticize, I’m sure.

Some people ONLY criticize. ONLY have negative things to say. ONLY are mean. ONLY look to get something for free. ONLY look to get ahead by putting down others. They thankfully get their comeuppance eventually with systems such as these.
C17PSGR, damon88, Newman and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:51 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Indeed. And thanks.

My Ambassador and many different hotel and restaurant GMs, hotel front office managers, and hotel guest relations managers have shared that while I may be demanding and high maintenance, I also am a pretty fair, fun, and constructive guest in terms of my criticisms. The things I don’t like tend to be the problems about which complaints are justified to their minds. I have always taken that sentiment to be the highest of compliments.

I also try to criticize by not attacking the staff but by highlighting the failure. I give credit where credit is due. I am fair and honest.

I also praise (and tip) quite often. I identify employees who have really impressed us. Who have gone out of their way to help us. Who have made a difference to us. That adds to my quotient of fairness when I do criticize, I’m sure.

Some people ONLY criticize. ONLY have negative things to say. ONLY are mean. ONLY look to get something for free. ONLY look to get ahead by putting down others. They thankfully get their comeuppance eventually with systems such as these.

I think you nailed the difference. I bet as a business owner who relies on feedback you appreciate constructive criticism when it is fair (and hopefully fun)

ITA with your assessment. I bet Hotel Guest complaints follow the 80/20 rule. 20 percent of the Guests account for 80% of the complaints.

It is almost always that way and it is probably very helpful to hotels to identify those 20%
Visconti and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
But that aside, my reaction to this thread, in non-ordered thoughts:
- Everyone has a CRM database. Likely there are things about you that are wrong in all of them. If you start avoiding businesses because of this, have fun sitting at home.
- No one is as polite, friendly, or correct as they think they are -- and I'm including myself. We all get caught up in our emotions when things happen to us. Everyone here has probably seen a passenger yelling at a gate agent when their flight is delayed for weather, or whatever reason. They usually think they're right and being mistreated by the airline, while the other 149 passengers understand the situation.
- Some of us -- and I'm including myself -- realize that we're not perfect and at least try to be sensitive to how we treat others in difficult situations. But it's human nature to think that we're always in the right, that we're always behaving correctly (and the other person is not) etc.
- We don't know, based on one person's account, if Marriott is using their CRM appropriately or not. We don't know if the OP really is a difficult customer or not.

To me, the summary is this:
Each of us can only judge for ourselves, based on our own experiences. It's probably worthwhile to try to rack up lots of positive comments to outweigh the negatives, because we all likely have been a difficult customer at some point. For example, when I walk into my room to find that I've been upgraded to a suite, I almost always try to go back to the front desk to thank them for the room next time I'm in the lobby...even though many here simply see it as a benefit or even their "right". I don't know that anyone ever notes that as a positive on my account, but it certainly can't hurt. Finally, while I'm not necessarily referring to the OP, I think if anyone ever learns that they have a negative profile in a CRM, they should first do some honest introspection. If I were to do that and have no doubt about my behavior, then I'd take my business elsewhere. You can't prove that someone's perception of you is incorrect. You either try to change it, or you stop associating with that someone.
kevino, Newman and Dave510 like this.

Last edited by yosithezet; Dec 26, 2018 at 10:51 pm Reason: Removed redacted content
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
I think the million dollar question here is who gets more upgrades, the “difficult” guest, or the “pleasant” one? I’d be willing to bet it’s the difficult guest, and that’s part of what’s wrong with society today IMO.

OP, that lounge story and the RI story are pretty bad. I might just chalk up the RI one to the temp GM though....maybe she’s just not confident they can fulfill the request so don’t want to risk criticism. That’s probably better than them just yessing you and then it doesn’t work when you get there.

Just one question, do you request “extra” fridges often? That seems like an odd request.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by GoPhils
I think the million dollar question here is who gets more upgrades, the “difficult” guest, or the “pleasant” one? I’d be willing to bet it’s the difficult guest, and that’s part of what’s wrong with society today IMO.

OP, that lounge story and the RI story are pretty bad. I might just chalk up the RI one to the temp GM though....maybe she’s just not confident they can fulfill the request so don’t want to risk criticism. That’s probably better than them just yessing you and then it doesn’t work when you get there.

Just one question, do you request “extra” fridges often? That seems like an odd request.
I do if I am staying for 5 days or longer. The mini fridge is pretty small usually and I usually go out grocery shopping and buy my own bottles of water and milk and cereal and other foods. Extra fridge is useful for me.

I also ask for 6-8 extra feather pillows with good stuffing. And I want them to be the smaller ones not the king pillows. I hated when Marriott switched to those long pillows in the king rooms. I have trouble sleeping on them. I prefer the normal size ones that are in the double bed rooms. So even though I am in a king room I want the smaller pillows and you would be surprised how many times that request gets messed up. Either foam instead of feather or they bring extra of the king pillows.

Last edited by mikebor; Dec 24, 2018 at 6:31 pm
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
OMG we found UA's Mr. Pillows.
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GoPhils
It's a great question, but not necessarily an either/or. It's possible to be courteous and pleasant yet firm, all at the same time.

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
OMG we found UA's Mr. Pillows.
Mr. Pillows would never stay in a RI.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mikebor
I do if I am staying for 5 days or longer. The mini fridge is pretty small usually and I usually go out grocery shopping and buy my own bottles of water and milk and cereal and other foods. Extra fridge is useful for me.
I'm the same way for an extended stay and a fridge. The best properties can offer a full sized one and would definitely be getting my thanks and business again.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Lizie
Whatever is held on your file has to be truthful. In the UK under GDPR you can request all your information held on their computers for a fee. They cannot refuse. Might as well know now they clean this up before sending it out.
Is there any provision in US law for us to do this here?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:51 am

FT is great, always have folks who tell it like it is. LOL
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:16 pm

At my price range I do not expect much , but if i was paying $500-1000 a night i would expect a lot !
But how far do you do go ? And probably not want to pay extra for it ?
​​​​​​
asking for an extra fridge seems like too much , .....ing that the temperature is a degree or 2 off is excessive , etc etc ..

But if this is how you live the rest of your lives you must get scores of disappointments every day ,

You are not perfect , the rest of the world is not perfect ,. Happiness is all around you if you let go of perfection. ,

Google a book called Das Energi , by Paul Williams , it will put you in a happier place.....

Merry Christmas every day ..
kevino likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Has anyone here requested a copy of the data held by Marriott, or any frequent guest or airline program, under the GDPR?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
If you live in a country with decent privacy regulations ( not the USA) then you will be entitled to get a copy of the information that Marriott is holding about you, including those internal comments.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:59 am

Long before the GDRP the EU had Right to be Forgotten laws. Would that apply to these systems?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.