Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be Aware, All Marriotts Have an Internal System Where they can criticize you!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Marriott's privacy policy includes the ability to request all personal information.
Privacy Policy: https://www.marriott.com/about/privacy.mi

To obtain a copy of your personal data, click Privacy Rights, then click the link 'this form'.

FWIW: Thread about requesting Hilton data: Hilton personal information request
Print Wikipost

Be Aware, All Marriotts Have an Internal System Where they can criticize you!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
There is very little customer service in any transaction these days. With hotels, there's also little to no proactive service, i.e. going around to rooms to see if everything works, check the outside lighting to see if some rooms are lit up too much at night, if the mattresses need to be replaced, if a toilet is broken, etc. If no one complains about things, they simply won't get fixed. Out of sight, out of mind is the Marriott motto.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
One time, I was hinted by hotel employee that my profile says:

WARNING: THIS GUEST CLEANS OUT SHAMPOOS CONDITIONERS SOAPS.

and I've had hotels that refused to give me any extra bottles of shampoos and conditioners, or other hotels who stocked up my room with half a dozen bottles of them.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:55 pm

Thank you for posting OP very interesting to me. With respect to other posts I like the thermometer ideas. I am thinking of getting one for testing food temperature so I can test the temperature of lounge food when served and if its found to be incorrect/unsafe or not enjoyable for consumption I will do absolutely nothing about it because I don't consume 95+ % of lounge food. Are you considering of switching to a competing Hotel Program??
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by mikebor

And I'll end with this. Called a Residence Inn recently to discuss a potential upcoming stay. Spoke with the GM who was "temporary". She didn't seem over friendly but answered my questions. Since it was a new hotel I asked about motion sensors in the room that shut off the air. I like it cold when I sleep because I have a medical issue and sweat a lot on my medication. She told me the hotel has them and they cannot be disabled. I explained to her my situation and told her that every other hotel I have stayed with that had motion sensors in the room, the engineer was able to disable them so the air can run continuously. She told me she would look into it, got my phone number and would call me back. Four hours later she calls me and tells me they won't disable it and they don't want me staying there. She said any further questions I could call Marriott. Nasty and she hung up. I called the Platinum line and the woman I spoke with put me on hold, called the hotel and spoke with her. The GM told her she read that "internal system" about me, saw that I had problems at other Marriott's and didn't want me to stay!! Then she hung up on the Platinum lady!! The Plat lady apologized to me and told me I should let my ambassador know which I did. And the Ambassador manager apologized and said he will look into it. Honestly, after how that awful temp GM treated me I would NEVER want to stay there. But the fact that she was able to read a one-sided internal database system about guests, me, and essentially ban me from the hotel?? Awful and wrong on so many levels. I could give her 10 names of GM's of hotels that I stay at regularly that really like having me as a guest. I have cellphone numbers of a few that we text about sports because I've gotten to know them. This terrible temp GM didn't appreciate me asking for(in her mind) something not the norm, so instead of researching how to disable the motion sensor she researched me, used a bunch of negative comments put in by other staff over the years as a justification to claim I was not a guest worth having. Makes me sick and that's why I decided to post all of this to all the frequent travelers on here.

Be Careful if you complain, next thing you'll know they'll be a file created about you and not a nice one.
Would you be willing to name this RI?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Not to beat a dead horse, but a customer relationship management system is hardly shocking.
Antarius and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Somehow I just feel as though I should have to explicitly send an e-mail inviting a hotel to review me.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:51 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sunil
Every company that does business in CA will have to allow customers to retrieve all their information including those from internal systems in 2020 as a result of the new California privacy law. Many of these companies are busy deleting comments or even retiring these systems as a result.

Are you sure that companies will have to share the actual data? My understanding is that they must disclose the TYPE of data they collect and for what purpose.

“Consumers can request a record of what types of data an organization holds about them and what they are doing with it.”
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:20 pm

Even before CRMs were mainstream, there had always been a version of this, not only in the hospitality industry, but just about every industry that dealt with customer service.

In my view, there are mainly two types of guests. When things fall short, as they invariably will, the first group will complain, not only to the hotel, but on social media. The second group doesn't, but will never return without saying why. I'm in the latter. If it's a top drawer property, they should know better than to allow subpar service to guests. If it's not, then why bother? I don't expect perfection from Express Inn.

In either case, I don't feel the need to help them improve their business, just as I won't bother doing free surveys. I'll just never return, and spend my hard earned money elsewhere. And, no, I don't care about giving them a chance to make things right, since there will always be better options to spend one's money on. One bad experience, and I can turn to page and never deal with that property for the rest of my life. That's a bargain, if you ask me.
747FC and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Well I may be wrong here but is it possible with GDRP to request a copy of information held on file?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:45 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
When implementing this kind of consumer focused CRM system, ensuring the records aren’t used for unsubstantiated tittle tattle on guests is one of the top priorities. It is certainly believable that Marriott just didn’t the storing of personal claims about guests seriously, but I think it’s also believable that the company has the usual controls and reviews in place so that anything recorded is effectively done so with the full backing of the Marriott Group. We may never know.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I would be surprised if the CRM is accessible by third-party management companies. It's probably only accessible to properties managed by Marriott International. But regardless, I think there could be a major defamation liability here, if someone pursued a lawsuit for defamation or false light.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Visconti
In either case, I don't feel the need to help them improve their business
I post reviews on TA so others will know to avoid a property that doesn't treat guests well. Sometimes a property deserves to be called out in a crappy review. It's one of the very few positive uses of social media IMO.
EuropeanPete and 747FC like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
I don't mind a CRM system at all, as long as there's some sort of accountability. Namely, if each entry has to be marked by employee name, date and attached to a reservation, then that's fine. If certain employees constantly making negative remarks about different customers, then the issue is likely the employee and not the customer. On the other hand, an employee who rarely makes negative remarks about customers should probably have their remarks taken more seriously.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:27 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
300 stays is a lot of nights. I am wondering whether the OP might be happier with other chains. It seems that most properties were more than happy to take his/her money, and then badmouth behind the OP’s back.

Surely, at some point, there is less to gain from 100% loyalty to one chain over years.

Sounds Ike customer familiarity breeds contempt within the Marriott system.

Maybe the absence of your business will suddenly make their hearts grow fonder.

Spread the wealth. At 300 nights a year, you could probably enjoy status at several chains and leave Marriott to their snarky CRM comments.

I mean surely if you do 300 nights a year you start spreading your loyalty around. I do 200 nights a year and basically max out top tier with Starriott and Hyatt while spreading a few stays around IHG, Hilton, and others. I don't see a point in continuing to maximize loyalty to one company past the requirements. Ditto with airlines, which is why I'm both UA 1K and AA EXP.

Also… seems like the OP just stays a lot more in Marriott hotels than most of us, which means more opportunities for comments. Imagine seeing 50 negative comments on someone, but if it's out of e.g. 3000 stays (15 years, 300 nights, 1.5 night per stay), it means a very different thing than 50 negative comments over someone who has 40 stays a year for the past 3 years.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Your interpretation is correct, damon.

Originally Posted by damon88

Are you sure that companies will have to share the actual data? My understanding is that they must disclose the TYPE of data they collect and for what purpose.

“Consumers can request a record of what types of data an organization holds about them and what they are doing with it.”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.