Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

PreAuthorization Charge Question - Renassiance Hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Silver, TK Elite+, Accor Gold, Mariott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond and IHG Diamond Ambassador

I just check-in to Renaissance Hotel in Vienna and at the check-in they took pre autorization charge of 400 EUR for 3 night stay. Room is already paid, I payed at the time of booking. For example if my total spend for food and mini bar is 120 EUR will they take this 120 EUR from the authorization or will they charge my card for 120 EUR and then return 400 EUR back to my card.

They did’t tell me that authorization charge will be 400 EUR and they took all avalible funds from my credit card. How much is usually authorization charge? I was expecting maximum 200 EUR becuase I prepaid the room.

Best Regards
DC10
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
They didn't actually charge anything to your card. The preauthorization just blocks that amount so the credit is available to them. At check-out, they will run a charge for the amount you owe. The authorization will drop off some number of days after that, how long depends on your issuer.

The amount of the preauthorization varies. Something like 50 Euro per night would be more common.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Silver, TK Elite+, Accor Gold, Mariott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond and IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
They didn't actually charge anything to your card. The preauthorization just blocks that amount so the credit is available to them. At check-out, they will run a charge for the amount you owe. The authorization will drop off some number of days after that, how long depends on your issuer.

The amount of the preauthorization varies. Something like 50 Euro per night would be more common.
Thank you for reply. I spoke with front desk and I told then that I can not eat for 400 EUR in 3 days, lol. My questions is becuase my avalible limit is nearly 0 EUR on credit card with 400 EUR authorization will they just use this 400 EUR or will I pay the bill and they will refund me 400 EUR.

Last edited by DC10; Dec 21, 2018 at 10:25 am
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The EUR 400 covers not only anticipated room charges for services such as food, but also protects the property against damage and theft (something they do not like to say). Presuming that you have no other charges against your room, when you check out, the "hold" will be released and will eventually disappear from your account. While the hold is tying up your credit limit, you will not have to pay the EUR 400 and then seek a refund.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DC10

Thank you for reply. I spoke with front desk and I told then that I can not eat for 400 EUR in 3 days, lol. My questions is becuase my avalible limit is nearly 0 EUR on credit card with 400 EUR authorization will they just use this 400 EUR or will I pay the bill and they will refund me 400 EUR.
400 EUR seems steep as a preauthorization for a 3 night stay that is already prepaid.

If you are asking, if I charge room service to my room for 100 EUR, will that be part of the 400 EUR or will my card be declined at checkout. The simplistic answer is yes, the 100 EUR will come out of the 400 EUR unless their is a glitch. You were never charged the 400 EUR to begin with - the hotel can use up to that amount to settle the bill when you checkout. The 100 EUR will show as a pending charge and when the preauthorization drops 300 EUR will come back to your credit limit.

The steps would be:

Day 1 Check-In: Hotel preauthorizes 400 EUR for incidentals. 400 EUR is removed from your credit line, but you are not actually charged anything - as in, you are not paying interest.

Day 2 - you charge 100 EUR to your room - perhaps room service.

Day 3 - Checkout - the hotel settles your bill. Online, you would typically see a pending charge for 100 EUR. This is a settlement of the 400 EUR preauthorization.

Days 4-5+ The pending charge becomes a charge - the preauthorization is removed and your credit limit restored to the difference of the preauthorization minus the settlement.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
The EUR 400 covers not only anticipated room charges for services such as food, but also protects the property against damage and theft (something they do not like to say). Presuming that you have no other charges against your room, when you check out, the "hold" will be released and will eventually disappear from your account. While the hold is tying up your credit limit, you will not have to pay the EUR 400 and then seek a refund.
Thanks, I understand that hold will disappear from my account after the checkout. I am just wondering will they take ammount from the hold to cover my expenses or I will need to pay them separately and then hold will be removed? Sorry for asking so many questions.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:52 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
My other half just finished a stay at the Ren in Vienna as well. The stay was non-refundable, but the hold was only for $170.38 USD. The hold charge never posted for us, it was just pending before falling off.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

I am just wondering will they take ammount from the hold to cover my expenses
Yes - as I explained earlier.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I am just wondering will they take ammount from the hold to cover my expenses
Yes, in theory. They are supposed to run it against the preauthorization. A careless or incompetent agent may try to run it separately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.