Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

New Reservations Voice Response Unit (VRU) is garbage

Old Dec 19, 18, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite

So, I just called into the former SPG Plat line for the first time in a few months. What's up with the new voice response unit?

1. It asks a multitude of questions before connecting me with an associate
2. The system then tries to direct me to nonsensical options with automated instructions to "combine my account"
3. The system doesn't recognize my phone number that's in my profile
4. I've now been on hold for 20 minutes

Is this still the new normal?
Old Dec 19, 18, 9:59 pm

Programs: BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); Hyatt Somethingorother; UA Silver
Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
Is this still the new normal?
No. It’s been the normal for quite some time now.
TV guy and cre95 like this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 6:51 pm

I've got the same problem. The phone system won't recognize my number. Marriott confirms the information in my account is correct.

Has anyone been successful in getting this fixed?
Old Sep 9, 19, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, AA EXP, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Regardless of why I’m calling, I always say “make a reservation”. Seems to go to an agent immediately.
MSPeconomist and karenkay like this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post
Regardless of why I’m calling, I always say “make a reservation”. Seems to go to an agent immediately.
There's new money involved (most of the time) if you make a new reservation. There's other options just cost Marriott money or at least phone call agent time. However, I wonder whether new reservations are easiest, so you would get a new agent or a employee where the time per call is expected to be lowest.
Old Sep 9, 19, 10:53 pm

Programs: MBV LTT, Accor Plat, HH Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by sbedelman View Post
I've got the same problem. The phone system won't recognize my number. Marriott confirms the information in my account is correct.

Has anyone been successful in getting this fixed?
Yes. Turned out to be multiple accounts (my old SPG or Marriott) with the same phone number. There must be a lot of people in the same boat.

The agent searched for all the accounts with that number and deleted it from the inactive ones.
Old Sep 9, 19, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Ubud View Post
Yes. Turned out to be multiple accounts (my old SPG or Marriott) with the same phone number. There must be a lot of people in the same boat.

The agent searched for all the accounts with that number and deleted it from the inactive ones.
And that fixed it? Weird that they've programmed the system so that if they see two accounts they refuse to recognize you at all.
Old Sep 13, 19, 11:38 am

Programs: MBV LTT, Accor Plat, HH Gold, A3 Gold
And that fixed it? Weird that they've programmed the system so that if they see two accounts they refuse to recognize you at all.
Yes, though it still won't pick up my number automatically from the Caller ID (actually ANI, but I digress). After I enter the phone number it identified the correct account and the agent knew who I was when they answered. So, I guess you could say it's partially fixed.
Old Sep 15, 19, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Ubud View Post
Yes, though it still won't pick up my number automatically from the Caller ID (actually ANI, but I digress). After I enter the phone number it identified the correct account and the agent knew who I was when they answered. So, I guess you could say it's partially fixed.
Has anyone with the problem where it won't recognize their phone number automatically successfully had the problem corrected? If so would you please let me know what you did. Thanks.
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, AA EXP, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Has anyone with the problem where it won't recognize their phone number automatically successfully had the problem corrected? If so would you please let me know what you did. Thanks.
See the 3 posts above yours.

Search this Thread