Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott.com now displaying third-party rates alongside their rates

Old Dec 19, 18, 7:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

This literally just happened today.

Marriott.com is giving me the purported rates for a property on third-party booking websites when I search for rooms on Marriott.com. Who knows if the rates they quote are accurate, but this is very, very interesting:

Old Dec 19, 18, 7:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
That's a nice feature!

Now ... if you could sort by price!
Old Dec 19, 18, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
Now ... if you could sort by price!
You stole the words right out of my mouth!
Old Dec 19, 18, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've noticed within the last week or so that the Hyatt website has a pop up box showing major competing websites for the same room, with their member rate winning fo course.
Old Dec 19, 18, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
Question now is "why"? Will they use this to block LNF requests? "Our website proved we had the lowest rate when you booked the room" could be the response on LNF claims now.

-RM
Old Dec 19, 18, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
Question now is "why"? Will they use this to block LNF requests? "Our website proved we had the lowest rate when you booked the room" could be the response on LNF claims now.
Except the terms say "...within 24 hours of making your reservation" and not "at the moment you make the booking"... at least for now...

And what about the other way, if a LNF-able rate were to pop up I wonder if they'll accept marriott.com as a comparison site

(Not holding my breath...)
Old Dec 19, 18, 10:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
That's a nice feature!
If you can believe the prices they quote.
LAXlocal and Rd3 like this.
Old Dec 19, 18, 11:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post

-RM
I've never bothered to figure out to use LNF -- although I guess I should.

That being said, the point of LNF is that Marriott guarantees the direct price is lower so this is a way of them checking it. It probably has something on the hotel revenue management side so they know to lower their rates if needed. And ...from the Marriott and property owners/operators 3Q conference calls, the direct booking issue is far more important to them than the merger of the program or any glitches in the program.
Old Dec 19, 18, 11:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
As a general rule, merchants that offer to match their competitor's prices are not offering the lowest prices.
Old Dec 20, 18, 12:24 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Haven't come across this but *puts business hat on* smart move -- why not do this? TA / Kayak / OTA aggregators already do this, why not display directly on their own site that they have the lowest pricing -- they lose X% of revenue everytime it comes through an OTA so it makes complete business sense to provide this information on their website on hopes of getting a direct booking and not losing the X% to the OTA.

Not sure how this would block LNF -- if anything this would *hopefully* push them to match the LNF of an major OTA since they've opted to display it directly on their website
Old Dec 20, 18, 2:26 am

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA, Hhonors Gold
It remains to be seen if they are actually showing the exact same rate for the room. And they may only be showing the comparable rates that do NOT beat their rate, in an attempt to discourage guests from looking around at the competition. I'll start researching this the next time I have to book something.
Old Dec 20, 18, 4:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Tit/ LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold
Letís see if anyone can find a rate where Marriott.com is showing as not the cheapest...
remymartin likes this.
Old Dec 20, 18, 5:27 am

Interesting to see why marriott did this.
Old Dec 20, 18, 9:19 am

Nice feature, but how do the taxes and fees break down? At least in my experience doing BRGs with old Starwood, the OTAs I found competing rates on would typically provide an all-in number inclusive of all taxes and fees up front for the entire stay. In order to see the same for SPG and Marriott, I had to go all the way to the booking confirmation page. I can't imagine this functionality to be actually trustworthy, given
1. It's on Marriott's site
2. Marriott has a bad habit of showing you the lowest night rate for a multi-night stay but the rest of the nights are 20-50% higher
Old Dec 20, 18, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
If you can believe the prices they quote.
I think what is more likely is that they will omit the rates that beat theirís and only quote those that match or exceed their rate.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: