Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton TV light sensor reducing brightness of TV

Old Dec 19, 18, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

You all know how on your home TV you can set it so if the room is dark the TV gets real dark. Energy Saver.

I am at a Sheraton that is not owned by Marriott or SPG etc I dont think, and they have all the TV's set so unless there is direct light on the sensor the picture is very dark. Ridiculously dark.

Is this something ALL Sheraton or Marriott do? It has been this way at this hotel long before the merge with Marriott. It gets so dark it is ridiculous. Had the maintenance guy try to override it, cant, set up off premises to do this.

Hope I am in the correct sub forum.

Yes there is a work around, flashlight pointed at sensor, leave it on whenever you watch TV, if I didnt have that I would never stay here.

In the lobby there is a sign about ownership not being by Sheraton or now Marriott.
Old Dec 19, 18, 7:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR, Covid-19
Most MR/SPG TVs are LGs (and a smaller subset being Samsungs) so for years now I've owned
one of these one of these
. Invaluable for solving a lot of issues, including the "AUX INPUT NOT AVAILABLE" issue. It does require some tech knowledge of TV things, though.
Old Dec 19, 18, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kennycrudup View Post
Most MR/SPG TVs are LGs (and a smaller subset being Samsungs) so for years now I've owned one of these. Invaluable for solving a lot of issues, including the "AUX INPUT NOT AVAILABLE" issue. It does require some tech knowledge of TV things, though.
Great idea, thanks. Wish I had one right now LOL

Will order.

Have YOU run into this problem I am talking about, is that one of the reasons you have one of these?
Old Dec 20, 18, 5:30 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Consider yourself lucky to have only a light censor! When I travel with Mrs. OOME I have a heavy censor!
Antarius and DenverBrian like this.
Old Dec 20, 18, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Out of my Element View Post
Consider yourself lucky to have only a light censor! When I travel with Mrs. OOME I have a heavy censor!
Hope they dont roll this out to the Ritz carlton Yacht collection... it would be a shame to see such censor ship.
dgreen12, DenverBrian and ryw like this.
Old Dec 20, 18, 7:58 am

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
It seems to be getting pretty common lately and I agree it's AWFUL. My experiences have all been with samsung TV's and have often thought about carrying a samsung remote.
Old Dec 20, 18, 11:52 am

At least at the Marriott properties, I've noticed that you can unplug the RJ-14 (telephone-style cable) from the TV and it acts like a normal TV, letting you access the HDMI inputs and change menu settings.
Old Dec 20, 18, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Often I find hotel TVs to be too bright, but I can't seem to find a way to adjust this.
Old Dec 20, 18, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Across a variety of TVs at Starwood and Hilton brands, I have found some will let one into the Menu settings, and others will not. There isn't much benefit for a property to turn down the brightness. Energy savings are trivial and LCD sets don't suffer burn in.
Old Dec 20, 18, 4:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR, Covid-19
Originally Posted by randys1 View Post
Have YOU run into this problem I am talking about, is that one of the reasons you have one of these?
Nah, 'cause of this:
Originally Posted by KRSW View Post
At least at the Marriott properties, I've noticed that you can unplug the RJ-14 (telephone-style cable) from the TV and it acts like a normal TV, letting you access the HDMI inputs and change menu settings.
Yeah, but some properties have gotten wise to this and have programmed the NVParams to lock out the inputs at the base (TV firmware) level; it's the reason I got the remote in the first place. It has gotten better (I bought my installer remote back in 2010 when I'd travel every week with my Roku and it was fairly epidemic) but like with the Wi-Fi, I get more problems in high-end properties than I do in FI/CY (most FI/CY TVs even have a working "INPUT" button on either the remote or the TV).

Originally Posted by jinrop View Post
I and have often thought about carrying a samsung remote.
I have a programming remote (well, an extended-function) remote for Sammy TVs too, but Sammy TVs are a recent change in some properties and generally aren't locked down.

I will caveat that the installer remotes have buttons on them that can render the TV unable to get the regular channels after you use them, so read up on how to use them and proceed with caution. That being said many will reset themselves after everything's reconnected and a hard power-cycle (unplug/replug the AC) is done.
Old Dec 20, 18, 6:41 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I wonder if the app Suremote with a phone with IR would have enough functionality.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: