Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott points worth so little

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sethb
I just booked a Westin, at around 1.9 cents/point (not counting the foregone points for not paying cash). That's about what Points Guy says they're worth, too.
Are you willing to share more detail?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Believe TPG says 0.9, not 1.9...no one has ever suggested Marriott points are worth more than 1 CPM (though you might be able to redeem above that).
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by naumank

+1 Another example is Marriott Inn Monterey, CA. It now requires 50K points. Sometimes the value is less than 0.5 cents at that hotel. I think the hidden gems are in some of the Asian cities where a JW costs 17.5K points.
And many times when the points rates are that cheap, you can stay there for well under $200 USD per night...

On the contrary, the best redemption rates in my experience have been with RC properties where I often times am $0.015 or better per point.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
In the new program, the best values seem to be on the extremes. Low-category properties where you happen to run into high-ish rates. Or high category properties during peak periods, assuming you would ordinarily pay that much for the room with cash to begin with.

I used to value Marriott points at well over a penny a point just in terms of the tangibles. (So, not including things like AA lifetime status or WN companion passes, both of which no longer apply.) In the new program, I consider them roughly a penny on the high side, with not enough material difference in per-point value between a 5-nighter and a Travel Package to make me actually chase TPs. Besides, I kind of like 5-night stays more anyway.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by naumank
Are you willing to share more detail?
Hmmm... either the rate changed or I got the arithmetic wrong. A 25,000 points/night Westin, with a rate slightly over $200, on a 5-night stay. So it's now just over $.01/point.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
I think it just really depends on where and when...I was able to book HI this year with my TP (great value esp since it is going up in Cat in Mar) and just this week, tentatively booked a ski vacation over the holidays for 200k (4 nights @ Cat6 plus one night free). The going (non-refundable) rate for this room is over $700/night, so I definitely made good use of my points. When you add in the taxes on the rate, it is slightly over $.02 cpp!

If at all possible, I always try to book 5 nights stay to maximize points, too.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
I have just burnt 140k points into a 10 nights reward stay in a nice Residence Inn in the very heart of a UK city.
I got a redemption value of 0,0075 USD per point (I saved nearly 930 euros), do you think I did well?
Mauibaby2008 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
It wasn't a points redemption but a free night cert, but I got a night at a 35k/night hotel in DC (the Marriott Metro Center) that was nominally about $440 plus taxes for the night (it probably would have been a shade over $500 after taxes for one night at that rate). So that was 1.42 cents/point, which I am very happy with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.