Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott points worth so little

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:39 pm

Me too!

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
For the Residence Inn BFL, I have used 12,500 points when the rate was $141 or $171, but paid cash when it was $94.

BFL makes a nice stop when driving between SFO and SAN or LAS.
We were at this same property stopping over between Vegas & SF on that same night, lol. Paid $95 cash, saved the points (and made some more), and even scored an upgrade to a 2BR suite. Great for lounging about - and we welcomed the extra bathroom. By the way, we found the breakfast here to be a little above par for RI.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by spgplat21
Very typical, you should cash out all your points for gift cards.
What is the redemption value?
Does Marriott report 1099-INT on cash redemption?

I have 700,00 plus points and was planning on using land/air package as best redemption.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:52 pm

Marriott now has for each hotel tiers points depending on the current selling prices or occupancy where the lower tier is the old redemption cost; just another program to significantly cut the value of our points, which impacts their loyal customers more than anyone else. They'll get away with it unless the loyal ones go on "strike" in huge numbers.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by SeanD
Marriott now has for each hotel tiers points depending on the current selling prices or occupancy where the lower tier is the old redemption cost; just another program to significantly cut the value of our points, which impacts their loyal customers more than anyone else. They'll get away with it unless the loyal ones go on "strike" in huge numbers.
with their only real competition being Hilton which is notorious for devaluation, I doubt Marriott execs are worried.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Marriott has been cutting award redemption options for years.
Originally signed up for Marriott in 1995 and at that time I could pick any category hotel world wide.
Then if you redeemed land/air packages their best value you were stuck with Cat1-4 hotels only.

Now it's gotten worse in value.

Your correct Marriott Exec's do not care.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:48 pm

Thats a myth! You're telling me my booking of the AC Hotel Time Square on NYE at 35,000 points is based on process and occupancy (rackrate when I booked was $1,000 USD/night). I find that hard to believe.

-James
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
1. There are three tiers that haven't kicked in yet
2. Marriott reneging on "no blackout dates" for legacy Marriott-portfolio properties and the ramifications of that also haven't kicked in yet

Try and make similar reservations 2019 and let us know how that goes...
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I have an outlier that proves to me why its important to have points with more than one program.

I want to spend 2 nights in Carlsbad NM in March. Apparently, there is an oil boom there, so there is a shortage of hotel rooms. I have these two choices for some random weeknight in March:

Fairfield Inn: 2 nights with tax = $896 or 35,000 points A sweet redemption of 2.56 cents per point.

Hampton Inn: 2 nights with tax = $808 or 100,000 points. A 'not bad' redemption of .8 cents per point, but actually a miserable redemption

I cannot imagine paying $400+ a night for a Fairfield or a Hampton, and I certainly can't imagine paying 50,000 points a night for a Hampton in the middle of the desert. But 17, 500 points a night for a Fairfield seems like a pretty ok deal.

This is one of those cases where the Hilton points being more pegged to the price and the Marriott being more pegged to the hotel classification really helps make the Marriott a valuable choice.
If you only have Hilton points then this is an acceptable redemption opportunity. It is rare that you will be able to redeem your Hilton points at more than 1 cent in the current program. Furthermore, your example does not take into account point earning rates, which are often better with Hilton.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
Also dont forget the other side of the equation - the earning side. That makes huge difference, too.
The earning side makes Hyatt and Hilton program far more attractive thanks to the easy to earn UR pts and HH pts.
Was the last sentence typed correctly? Hyatt and Hilton are far more attractive than what?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
1. There are three tiers that haven't kicked in yet
2. Marriott reneging on "no blackout dates" for legacy Marriott-portfolio properties and the ramifications of that also haven't kicked in yet

Try and make similar reservations 2019 and let us know how that goes...
Will do albeit keep in mind many of my res are international meaning I usually have a good batting average when it comes to finding sweet spots.

-James
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:53 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by JBord
I think this is a very accurate statement, especially if you take advantage of the 5th night free. I recently booked a room at a beach resort during high season for 5 nights. ~$470/night, or with the 5th night free, it worked out to 28,000 points per night. I've also found that rate to be accurate in the more expensive European cities.

I'm sure it's much less accurate if you're booking the Courtyard in Omaha. Personally, I don't know that it's a good value ever to use points on a $160 room, but certainly there can be other circumstances that require someone to.
hahaha. I’m in the CY Omaha right now. Spent three nights here at $55/night vs 25k points a night. Should be textbook example of when to pay cash.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iowa guy
Was the last sentence typed correctly? Hyatt and Hilton are far more attractive than what?
On the Earn side of the equation (you have to earn the pts first before you can use them, right?)

Hyatt and HH are far easier to EARN - this makes the redemption not so bad, especially with Hyatt.

I am sure you know UR is 1 to 1 for Hyatt and Marriott - yet Hyatt requires FAR LESS pts to redeem than Marriott.
On the high end, PH is 30K properties for most part versus Marriott top tier is 60K now, and 85K next year, plus the peak and off peak pricing.
On the low end, many very decent Hyatt Place and Hyatt House are 8K properties. Go find some Marriott low-end, comparing much less desired, and see how many points cost you?

HH is purely revenue based, at 1 pt = to 0.004 to 0.006 with the most prevalent value at 0.0045 thereabout.

So when a Hilton LAX was at around $105 with taxes HH member flexible rate, I was able to book it with 27K HH pts.
HH card earns 5x at grocery stores, and 3x on everything.
Compare that to the SPG properties at LAX at fixed cost and how POORLY the Marriott / SPG cards earning rates outside hotel stay, you then would get a better perspective.
There are some good redemption in Europe for airport hotels in 2nd tier countries - extremely convenient locations (5 min walk from terminals for example) and only cost 10 to 15K HH pts which are much easier to earn on day to day spend if you must.

The Key is, like someone has already said - you NEED to have balances in MULTIPLE programs and choose the one works the best at a specific stay, and not just rely on one single program.

In this game, you cannot have tunnel vision. Must broaden your knowledge base if you want to maximize the advantages of each program.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigshooter

hahaha. I’m in the CY Omaha right now. Spent three nights here at $55/night vs 25k points a night. Should be textbook example of when to pay cash.
During a Plat Challenge between May and July this year, I did 5 stays at the same Springhill which was $85 all in but also a Cat 5 property. Spent the remaining 4 stays spreading among a brand new RI ($85 too, but a Cat 4,) and a Fairfield (same $85 and a Cat 5 as well).
While for a Challenge, one must use pay stay, but the rates show why you dont pay 25K pts for a $85 all in property.

HH going revenue-based is not without merit. The Hilton LAX we stayed many times was a 30K then went to 40K and often higher when there was no more standard room. Yet the Thanksgiving week I was able to book it with 27K due to the cash rate went down to less than $125 all in. I forgot to monitor the cash prices in the area else I could have canceled it and rebooked a Hampton Inn on the opposite of the airport with only 25K HH pts! Unfortunately by the time I remembered to take a look, the Hilton LAX booking had gone in the cancellation penalty window.

There is no need to "maximize" value with HH program any more. Though outside US, one can occasionally find some redemption that are much higher than the usual 0.0045.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter

this is common across ihg and Hyatt as well.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I just booked a stay in the Maldives 360,000 points. Cost would have been $18,000.00. That's a great value for points.

Conversely, the Marriott IAD Suites, is about $95 on the weekend versus 25,000 points. Terrible use of points.

You have to look at value of paying all ways possible. MR points are certainly not worth little. They have to be applied properly.
jjmoore likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.