Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happened to feather pillows?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
What happened to feather pillows?

Feather pillows were always standard in legacy Marriott across multiple brands. Yet in the last year I've noticed that many properties have switched to the polyester, fake down feather pillows. Has anyone else noticed this? Even with extra feather pillows attached to my reservation I find about 70% of the time I have to follow-up once I arrive to get the correct pillows.

It's becoming very, very annoying because I find the polyester fill pillows lumpy and warm. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I liked the jumbo, king-sized feather pillows from Marriott so much that I bought them for my house.

Also, I've noticed that renovated Marriott brand properties in legacy Marriott are using polyester-cotton blend sheets now.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Don’t stay at many legacy Marriott properties but since they took over Starwood, I have seen the same degradation of pillows at many legacy Starwood properties.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Feather pillows were always standard in legacy Marriott across multiple brands. Yet in the last year I've noticed that many properties have switched to the polyester, fake down feather pillows.

YAY! I'm allergic to feathers.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2 massive trends >
- hypoallergenic
- animal products, sustainability, etc

former has liability concerns, latter has risk (mainly PR) concerns

both examples of heavily marketed plus earned coverage/awards

and almost certainly can be used to cut costs (without 'saying' so)

so not marriott but everywhere, especially with biggest companies
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
MAR hotels I've stayed at usually have a mixture of both poly/feather on the beds. I just put the poly by the side & use the feather ones. I've not encountered all poly.

Cheers.
LISAA likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

probably changing standards over time in terms of what they require from hotel owners and 3rd party managers, but many owners (overall) do not just do the minimum

even top luxury brands like Four Seasons have dramatically lowered what they require from owners
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
probably changing standards over time in terms of what they require from hotel owners and 3rd party managers, but many owners (overall) do not just do the minimum

even top luxury brands like Four Seasons have dramatically lowered what they require from owners
I'm not even sure that legacy Marriott and legacy Starwood required owners to use their signature mattresses because I've looked at the beds and see different manufacturers and brands than what both tout as the beds for the respective legacy brands.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I say this respectfully, but IMO you're weird. Who the heck pulls out mattresses, sheets, etc, etc, to check the brands at multiple hotels? SMH.

Cheers.
ilcannone and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
poly-cotton sheets is enough to make me not stay there !
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
The birds demanded them back.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I say this respectfully, but IMO you're weird. Who the heck pulls out mattresses, sheets, etc, etc, to check the brands at multiple hotels? SMH.

Cheers.
I'm at almost 300 nights this year. I notice when the pillows or mattresses are different.
HollyGlen and Handcake like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I changed from Marriott to SPG years ago because I hate foam pillows and Starwood was big on down/feather pillows at Westin and Sheraton properties. Sadly I had been noticing that even at some Westins and Sheratons in the last year or so that hotels weren’t sticking with the Heavenly and Sweet Sleeper bed criteria. Just stayed at the Sheraton Times Square NYC and they only had crappy foam pillows on the bed. Got the worst nights sleep ever and not happy if brand standards are no longer enforced.
remymartin likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christianj
I changed from Marriott to SPG years ago because I hate foam pillows and Starwood was big on down/feather pillows at Westin and Sheraton properties. Sadly I had been noticing that even at some Westins and Sheratons in the last year or so that hotels weren’t sticking with the Heavenly and Sweet Sleeper bed criteria. Just stayed at the Sheraton Times Square NYC and they only had crappy foam pillows on the bed. Got the worst nights sleep ever and not happy if brand standards are no longer enforced.
Did you ask for feather pillows?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:40 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The Sheraton Times Square is sadly a bandit properly which shouldn’t be allowed to carry the brand. Hopefully you don’t see it in any normal Sheratons (I say that as someone who prefers foam pillows, myself).
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Did you ask for feather pillows?
I did not as it should be part of the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed and honestly the place was a zoo and service was horrible allround. I guess I assumed I wouldn’t get them if I asked since they couldn’t get basics right on the busy weekend leading up to the holidays.

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Hopefully you don’t see it in any normal Sheratons (I say that as someone who prefers foam pillows, myself).
I’ve had other Sheraton and Westin stays recently without feather pillows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.