Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happened to feather pillows?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The Sheraton Times Square is sadly a bandit properly which shouldn’t be allowed to carry the brand.
In what way?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There are allowed to be differences in the sweet sleeper bed from country to country as some mattress suppliers are different.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:25 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
That's nothing. I recently stayed at Aman Sveti Stefan and they had synthetic pillows.
IMO a feather pillow is a basic requirement for a good night's sleep.
bhrubin and kosy91 like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:55 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The Sheraton Times Square is sadly a bandit properly which shouldn’t be allowed to carry the brand. Hopefully you don’t see it in any normal Sheratons (I say that as someone who prefers foam pillows, myself).
+1000

It’s the most horrible legacy SPG property at which I’ve ever stayed. I only stay because their rates are often good for my groups. But I never mind paying more for even the pretty good Four Points or Courtyards in Manhattan if it gives me a chance to escape this dump.

But I must say the pillows are the least of my problems with this property.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:57 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I say this respectfully, but IMO you're weird. Who the heck pulls out mattresses, sheets, etc, etc, to check the brands at multiple hotels? SMH.

Cheers.
This. X1000
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:38 am

To be honest, I don’t really care about feather pillows because I am allergic to down, which is filled with pillows like all animals in this world.
Given my allergies and back problems, in most cases I travel with my orthopedic pillow (I found good research about orthopedic pillow where the pillow that I use was mentioned. More details ). Or I'll ask about it when booking in advance.

Last edited by lisalewis; Nov 24, 2019 at 10:57 pm
Old Nov 21, 2019, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Feather pillows were always standard in legacy Marriott across multiple brands. Yet in the last year I've noticed that many properties have switched to the polyester, fake down feather pillows. Has anyone else noticed this? Even with extra feather pillows attached to my reservation I find about 70% of the time I have to follow-up once I arrive to get the correct pillows.

It's becoming very, very annoying because I find the polyester fill pillows lumpy and warm. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I liked the jumbo, king-sized feather pillows from Marriott so much that I bought them for my house.

Also, I've noticed that renovated Marriott brand properties in legacy Marriott are using polyester-cotton blend sheets now.

As someone who suffers from allergies, unfortunately every single time I've stayed at Marriott property over the last 12 months, the pillows have been feathered.... This is despite me asking in advance to make them polyester ....

Thus, I for one, am relieved if this were the case
Old Nov 21, 2019, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Don't Marriotts have pillow menus?

Originally Posted by lisalewis
... I am allergic to fluff....
What is fluff?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Allergies aside, most people have strong preferences when it comes to pillows since they can really effect your sleep quality. I HATE feather pillows, others HATE foam, and it's a nuisance to have to ask for different pillows, especially if you have alot of one-night stays. Since most hotel beds have 4 pillows, I think the simple solution is to have 2 of each, so that people have a choice.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Don't Marriotts have pillow menus?

What is fluff?
I mean down, soorry
Old Nov 22, 2019, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Low Roller
Allergies aside, most people have strong preferences when it comes to pillows since they can really effect your sleep quality. I HATE feather pillows, others HATE foam, and it's a nuisance to have to ask for different pillows, especially if you have alot of one-night stays. Since most hotel beds have 4 pillows, I think the simple solution is to have 2 of each, so that people have a choice.
You have now described the picture of an ideal world!
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Low Roller
........Since most hotel beds have 4 pillows, I think the simple solution is to have 2 of each, so that people have a choice.

Not for people with feather/down allergies.

If feather pillows/duvet have been placed on my bed, then I need the entire set of bedding changed. Yup, that sensitive.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 8:47 pm

I have a funny Marriott pillow story. I was staying at the Delta in Richmond, VA. The pillows were fat and hard. I like a softer pillow so my neck doesn’t feel like it is at big incline when sleeping. I called the front desk to ask if they had any smaller or softer pillows. They said no but they would send some towels up in a pillow case if I wanted. I declined.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: Marriott BONVOY PLAT Lifetime PLATINUM, 16 years elite; AA 2MM LTPlat, UA, US, DL
MOST of our stays have BOTH

We have always stayed at the SPG brands, mostly Westin or Sheraton and our experience is that there are generally 2 of each on the beds. The Sheraton in Hawaii Big Island had the freshest, fluffiest, best pillows that we contacted the manufacturer and bought 3 of each when we returned home.
Husband only likes down and I like one of each so I have extra "feather" in my profile. Our last few Courtyard experiences had good pillows - if not as good as the higher category Marriott brand hotels. It IS important. We became brand-loyal when the Heavenly bed first came out.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Meanwhile, the feathers seem to keep flying into my room with no alternative in sight. Most recent incident was two nights ago: not fun to use bath towels and robe as a pillow, nor do I enjoy stripping the bed at midnight when I'm paying to stay in a luxury hotel. Score: 4/4 feather pillows plus a feather duvet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.