Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lisbon extra person fee (for 2nd person)?

Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.

Marriott reservations just told me there is a fee of 50 euro per day for a SECOND person to stay at the Fontecruz Lisboa, Autograph Collection - that does not make sense does it? Since when do hotels charge for a second person?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:33 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Is this a cash or award reservation? For awards, the Marriott Bonvoy T&Cs state the award cert covers extra-person charges (section 3.2.e).
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Cash reservation... I called the hotel too and the front desk said "50" and I confirmed that it was 50 and not 15... seems outrageous... when I do mock bookings with my corporate late for other available dates the extra person fee is 15, but I got my room at a great price, so maybe that is why they are charging so much... the only other time I've had this was at the Osaka Marriott where they added 30-ish or so for a second person upon check-in.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Cash reservation... I called the hotel too and the front desk said "50" and I confirmed that it was 50 and not 15... seems outrageous... when I do mock bookings with my corporate late for other available dates the extra person fee is 15, but I got my room at a great price, so maybe that is why they are charging so much... the only other time I've had this was at the Osaka Marriott where they added 30-ish or so for a second person upon check-in.
Same room for 50 euro or larger room than the one you originally reserved?
Edit: Looking at https://www.fontecruzhoteles.com/en/...lection/rooms/ all of their rooms are for two. I'd rebook your reservation for two and don't fight with the hotel through Marriott CS.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joakgarp
Same room for 50 euro or larger room than the one you originally reserved?
Edit: Looking at https://www.fontecruzhoteles.com/en/...lection/rooms/ all of their rooms are for two. I'd rebook your reservation for two and don't fight with the hotel through Marriott CS.
Good suggestion and I had tried before posting - but doesn't work :/ My room was only 140 euros a night, and if I try to add an extra person it says the rate is no longer available and tries to book me at 300+/night. I've played with dates to find a 140 euro/night room to see how much it would be to add a second person but based on 10+ random tries that rate is never available. I must have really lucked out.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:37 pm

Marriott reservations just told me there is a fee of 50 euro per day for a SECOND person to stay at the Fontecruz Lisboa, Autograph Collection - that does not make sense does it? Since when do hotels charge for a second person?
maybe you got a super good rate for single occupancy and high second person add on. Because my random lookup at the Fontecruz is all 15euro more for the second person.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:29 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Since when do hotels charge for a second person?
Charging extra for the second guest is a long-standing and common pricing mechanism in some hotels in Europe, particularly Portugal, so I don’t think there’s much to be gained by ‘fighting’ this with the hotel or Marriott customer services.

A quick look at Lisbon hotels for a random date in August shows that half of them charge more for 2 guests over 1.
Attached Images   
MSPeconomist and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Charging extra for the second guest is a long-standing and common pricing mechanism in some hotels in Europe
This. Standard practice in many places.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What is there to "fight" about? Single person rates are very common in Portugal, you booked a single-person rate and now want to make it a two-person rate, which brings the tab up by EUR 50.

If EUR 190 is good value, do it. But, beware that single rooms are often quite tiny.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:17 am
Original Poster

I have a feeling they are charging me more because my corporate rate includes breakfast... on the regular rates it is only 15 euro to include a second person... doesn't seem right that they charge another 35 euros on top of the 15 euros - presumably because of breakfast, when I would get it as an elite benefit.

oh well.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:02 am

I have a feeling they are charging me more because my corporate rate includes breakfast... on the regular rates it is only 15 euro to include a second person... doesn't seem right that they charge another 35 euros on top of the 15 euros - presumably because of breakfast, when I would get it as an elite benefit.
Your corporate is a corporate rate...negotiated for business travel (even if you can use it for personal). Part of the calculus that likely factored into that was probably that most business travelers would be traveling solo...
rickg523 and writerguyfl like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:26 am
Suspended

oh well.
Don't compare corporate to AAA to the rack rate. Different markets.

If the EUR 190 is not good value for two, then book elsewhere,. If it is good value and it sounds as though it is, do it.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Don't compare corporate to AAA to the rack rate. Different markets.

If the EUR 190 is not good value for two, then book elsewhere,. If it is good value and it sounds as though it is, do it.
What would make me feel better, which is impossible at this point, would be for the Marriott website to let me change the number of people in the room, and seeing with my own eyes the price for a second person... I don't know why Marriott's website doesn't let you do certain things including modifying the number of people in the room without losing the rate... it's hard to swallow that it is $50 to add a second person, when every test on the website reveals it is $12 to $15, including later dates with my corporate rate, although at a significantly higher base price...
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Possible explanation. Did you say you got a corporate rate of 140 initially?
Perhaps the corporate rate of 140 is negotiated and presumed to be a single business traveler.
When you upped the occupancy, the rate went to the standard rate for double occupancy.
I say possible, not particularly customer friendly.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:31 pm
Suspended

What would make me feel better, which is impossible at this point, would be for the Marriott website to let me change the number of people in the room, and seeing with my own eyes the price for a second person... I don't know why Marriott's website doesn't let you do certain things including modifying the number of people in the room without losing the rate... it's hard to swallow that it is $50 to add a second person, when every test on the website reveals it is $12 to $15, including later dates with my corporate rate, although at a significantly higher base price...
That is a separate question. But, you have already called to ask and been told this a second time. Now, you know for certain.

If it makes you feel better, you can ask at check-in and then again at check out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.