Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 in review...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Hmmm, I don't have the variety because I mainly frequent a few cities. But I will mention a few.

GREAT
Hotel St. George Helsinki - newly renovated Design Hotel and all levels of rooms from tiny to suites. I've been in the mid-size rooms and an upgrade to a top floor suite with skylights. They have a bakery on-site and a fantastic breakfast. Loved the place. But for those who care there is no lounge at this hotel.

NOT SO GOOD
Renaissance Zurich
- in trendy West Zurich but caters to busloads of tourists that make check-in and check-outs painful. They almost always have a "computer problem" at check-in or out. The gym is small. The lounge is a re-purposed ground floor bar where they let everyone with screaming kids in at all times. I think they go outside and recruit them even. The food in the lounge is awful. But the location is good which is why I keep staying there.
EuropeanPete and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Nice list. I wonder what was unpleasant at the SLS?

I always stay at the Carolina Inn or Franklin in Chapel Hill because that Sheraton seems so mediocre (and poorly located). The new AC downtown may be worth considering, FWIW. It isn’t as full service but it’s so well located. I’ve got a group staying there for the first time in spring.
The SLS is just a step below the other top luxury hotels in LA. Try either of the FS's and you can easily see the difference. One glaring area is the breakfast. Still I've stayed many times at the SLS and like it.

For Chapel Hill, that stay was early in 2018 and I wasn't looking at Marriott hotels at that time. I'll happy try the AC next time I go there.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:04 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
The SLS is just a step below the other top luxury hotels in LA. Try either of the FS's and you can easily see the difference. One glaring area is the breakfast. Still I've stayed many times at the SLS and like it.
We aren’t big fans of either FS in LA, but I do agree the SLS is a half step or so below the other top luxury hotels like the Peninsula. Still 5 star...but not quite as excellent throughout. But the service and F/B is easily worthy of 5* to us. The restaurants for dinner are perhaps the finest of any hotel in LA. But we totally agree about the breakfast (or brunch): a little underwhelming. We won’t ever do Sunday brunch there again. Great minds...

For Chapel Hill, that stay was early in 2018 and I wasn't looking at Marriott hotels at that time. I'll happy try the AC next time I go there.
I’ll try and check out the AC in early March when I stay at the Franklin for the UNC-Dook game. I do recommend the Carolina Inn and the Franklin—both are very good 4* hotels, even if they aren’t Marriott. Depends on your budget.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
7. Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho: almost amazing enough to be one of our all-time favorites, amazing hard product almost as impressive as Aman Tokyo, excellent soft product, incredible Ambassador recognition/treatment, incredible concierge, very good F/B, a few English language issues, and yet still more impressive than Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, and Four Seasons
This Prince is the best Starwood stay and upgrade I've had in quite a while. Still I wouldn't rate it above the FS and MO? I can speak passable tourist Japanese so had no language issues, but did not get the same level of service. Awesome suites though.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:01 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

This Prince is the best Starwood stay and upgrade I've had in quite a while. Still I wouldn't rate it above the FS and MO? I can speak passable tourist Japanese so had no language issues, but did not get the same level of service. Awesome suites though.
We got great, dare I say almost amazing, service at the PG. Perhaps due to my Ambassador status. Perhaps because I’m fond of letting a hotel know in advance what I want and what matters most to me. It wasn’t perfect, but the few service issues we experienced were almost entirely about speaking/understanding English. We didn’t quite appreciate that as much until we subsequently visited the Aman Tokyo and then continued our travels through Kyoto and Osaka.

We also thought the regular room at the PG was a lot nicer than the regular rooms at most of the other hotels we saw—except for the Aman. (We didn’t see the RC or the PH or the Palace.) The PG suites were as nice or nicer than those at other hotels we saw, with the sole exception of the Aman.

We despised the FS: terribly dated, no true lobby to speak of, and some very poor service and hospitality moments throughout our visit. It doesn’t surprise us in the least that a new FS is due to open in the coming years. This one is so over. It reminded us of a very old Park Hyatt without any warmth at all.

The MO had wonderful service, good English speaking staff, and a nice array of restaurants (we had lunch there), and even some nice views...but the rooms and suites were also woefully dated to us. We were surprised that we weren’t impressed.

The Peninsula has good but very stiff service, and good English speaking staff, too...but we despised that lobby. It was like the 1960s has never ended—and red won. And the rooms and suites were woefully dated in the same way that they were at the MO. Without good views.

The Aman Tokyo was the only Tokyo hotel that wowed us with its hard product in even remotely the same way as the PG. The Aman lobby is truly spectacular and even more impressive than that of the PG. (So is the Conrad Osaka lobby.) But we had more English language and hospitality/service issues during our tea service and visit at the Aman than we had for our entire stay at the PG. Even when I asked at the Aman for something to settle my stomach, they suggested a pharmacy a few km away. I’ve stayed at too many Amans to know that is not the service for which we pay the Aman premium.

We would be thrilled to stay again at the PG. I won’t consider any another hotel except for the Aman, but the PG is a steal in comparison.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 18, 2018 at 2:07 pm
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:24 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

We have always had a lot of fun when we stayed at the SLS- That is part of the equation, right?. (It certainly isn't for user friendly design- it's more abstract and eclectic than utilitarian) We used to combine our visits with awesome dinners at SAAM (cotton candy fois gras!) We have yet to try to Somni.

Last time we were there we (literally) bumped into Tiger Woods in the valet lot. My husband's bills flew out of his hand onto the pavement and Tiger helped pick them up while he joked with us.

One thing I really love about Marriott's portfolio now is the wide variety of hotel styles to choose from. We love St. Regis hotels but we would get quickly bored if that was all we stayed at. We love the variety Marriott offers now.

BTW @Muerz- thanks for starting this thread. It's inspiring me to try some new hotels and reminding me to return to some favorites.
Muerz and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by damon88; Dec 18, 2018 at 2:30 pm
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:34 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

The Aman Tokyo was the only Tokyo hotel that wowed us with its hard product in even remotely the same way as the PG. The Aman lobby is truly spectacular and even more impressive than that of the PG. (So is the Conrad Osaka lobby.) But we had more English language and hospitality/service issues during our tea service and visit at the Aman than we had for our entire stay at the PG. Even when I asked at the Aman for something to settle my stomach, they suggested a pharmacy a few km away. I’ve stayed at too many Amans to know that is not the service for which we pay the Aman premium.
I noticed that Aman Tokyo (along with 2 of your favorites- Amangiri and St Regis NYC) made the Condé Nast 2019 Gold List.

It does sound very nice, but the PG is such a wonderful points redemption. Our son will be there in the fall and we will certainly try it on our next visit to Tokyo.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:12 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G

We aren’t big fans of either FS in LA, but I do agree the SLS is a half step or so below the other top luxury hotels like the Peninsula. Still 5 star...but not quite as excellent throughout. But the service and F/B is easily worthy of 5* to us. The restaurants for dinner are perhaps the finest of any hotel in LA. But we totally agree about the breakfast (or brunch): a little underwhelming. We won’t ever do Sunday brunch there again. Great minds...
It's more upscale lifestyle boutique than luxury. Different categories.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:15 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by damon88
I noticed that Aman Tokyo (along with 2 of your favorites- Amangiri and St Regis NYC) made the Condé Nast 2019 Gold List.
I don't place too much stock in such lists/rankings, but that list also includes our all-time favorites The Upper House Hong Kong (hint, hint), Peninsula Shanghai, and Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur. It also includes others we really liked (Oberoi Udaivilas Udaipur, Ellerman House Cape Town, Rosewood Hotel de Crillon Paris, Aman Venice) and some we didn't like so much (Il Pellicano Tuscany, Mandarin Oriental Bangkok, and Four Seasons Hualalai),. So it still isn't particularly instructive for us, IMO.
It [Aman Tokyo] does sound very nice, but the PG is such a wonderful points redemption. Our son will be there in the fall and we will certainly try it on our next visit to Tokyo.
Absolutely agreed. I would take the lower cash rate or points redemption at the Prince Gallery over the Aman Tokyo almost always. We aren't fans of the extremely expensive urban Aman locations like Tokyo and Venice when there are so many competitive options that are so much cheaper. That's also why we chose the Gritti Palace Venice over the Aman Venice. But we would unquestionably choose the Gritti Palace over the Aman Venice again because of the Gritti's incredible service and food/beverag, the Gritti's amazing Riva bar on the canal (the Aman has nothing comparable), and the Gritti's superior cost/benefit via Marriott elite status.

In our opinion, Aman works best and is most worth its price premium only when it's in a more remote location.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:16 pm

First, thanks to the OP for such a thread! I think it's a great idea.

Great
  • Springhill Suites Anchorage Midtown -- GREAT staff! I spent over a month here over multiple 5-7 day business trips in 2018. Everyone was friendly and couldn't do enough for me. I can't say enough for them. Rooms were okay, some tired, BUT they are in the process of doing a complete renovation on the place. Even during the renovation staff was doing an amazing job of keeping everything running as usual and keeping the construction hidden. Walking distance to Walmart, grocery stores, restaurants. Shuttle drivers will take you downtown free if there aren't airport pickups needed. Great insulation, powerful central heat & air.
  • Residence Inn SEATAC -- Brand new hotel. Some teething problems but all worked out. Nice park next door, walking distance to Alaska Airlines HQ, almost walking distance to SEA airport. Room interior well above the usual RI standards, even if smaller than usual. Full bar.
Good
  • Springhill Suites New Smyrna Beach -- New hotel, friendly staff...but who builds a beachfront hotel without balconies/openable windows on some rooms? Rooms are generic, no nod to being a beachfront hotel. Nice pool/1st floor patio/firepit area. Full bar. GREAT location, walkable to almost everything. Not a fan of the frosted glass sliding barn door on the bathroom. If one person turns on the bathroom light, everyone in the room will be awake.
  • Residence Inn Orlando Airport -- I'm here a lot. Nice rooms (nicer than the FS Marriott across the street), friendly staff. One point off for some signs of wear starting to show that could be repaired.
  • Niagara Falls Marriott Fallsview -- Can't beat the view. Decor is somewhat dated, but that's fine with me. David (valet) is awesome!
  • Springhill Suites Fort Myers Airport -- Clean, good location, good staff. One of the nicer SHS rooms. Shades don't go down far enough to keep the morning sun out.
  • Marriott Village Orlando, FL: 3 hotels sharing the same property close to Disney. Parking fee is $10/day, can be avoided with certain rates. No resort fee. Internet included. Breakfast included FI/SHS, not included CY. Nice on-site food court w/delivery to rooms. Cheap for room service. Good location. Staff has always treated me well here. I might consider moving it to Great if they didn't have the parking fee.
    • Courtyard - Best-kept of the bunch. Some rooms are large, others not. No free breakfast, so if you want fewer kids (and sports teams full of kids), choose this property. Has indoor/outdoor pool. Gym is in this building, but accessible to all 3 properties' guests.
    • Fairfield - Some rooms larger than others. Large rooms are great. Breakfast can be a madhouse at peak times. Clientele slightly lower than at the other two. Has large family suites if that's what you need. Can be had for <$50/night at times.
    • Springhill - Most favorite of the bunch. 2-Double rooms are larger than 1-King rooms. Typical SHS "aqua" layout. Furthest from gym/food court.
Nothing bad to report (would stay again)
  • Residence Inn Eugene/Springfield -- New hotel, nice but cramped room. Shower had no water pressure whatsoever. Parking lot is tiny.
  • Springhill Suites Orlando Airport -- Has the new drab gray decor without the useful coffee/end tables, bathroom could have used better cleaning.
What a dump... (won't be back)
  • Residence Inn Portland North - The most disappointing Marriott-flagged property I've stayed in. AC in the common areas was out, AC in my first room didn't work, maintenance tried repairing it, went out to dinner, AC still not working, transferred to 2nd room, AC didn't work much better in there. 5am flight, so I wasn't going to move again. Laundry facilities on multiple floors were out of order as well. Maintenance was a visible problem throughout the property, not just aircon. Maintenance guy & front desk were friendly and tried to be helpful. Airport shuttle driver was friendly and on-time. Nothing within walking distance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.