Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Can status be downgraded in the middle of the year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

I just spoke with CSR to confirm that my status of Platinum Premier Elite won't be expiring until Jan or Feb 2020.

I was told that I will be downgraded next year to Gold as I don't have the nights to keep my status of Platinum for 2019.

I told CSR that I met the Platinum Challenge in July 2018. Then she checked the record and confirmed that I indeed met the Platinum Challenge in July. She told me I will downgraded to Gold in July 2019. She said the Platinum challenge was only good for one year.

Is this a new rule?

To date, I only have 35 nights- 15 from a Marriott credit and 20 from stays. should I not have changed to 50 nights automatically after I met the Platinum Challenge?

Last edited by metoo; Dec 12, 2018 at 7:37 pm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by metoo
I just spoke with CSR to confirm that my status of Platinum Premier Elite won't be expiring until Jan or Feb 2020.

I was told that I will be downgraded next year to Gold as I don't have the nights to keep my status of Platinum for 2019.

I told CSR that I met the Platinum Challenge in July 2018. Then she checked the record and confirmed that I indeed met the Platinum Challenge in July. She told me I will downgraded to Gold in July 2019. She said the Platinum challenge was only good for one year.

Is this a new rule?

To date, I only have 35 nights- 15 from a Marriott credit and 20 from stays. should I not have changed to 50 nights automatically after I met the Platinum Challenge?
When you do a challenge, it doesn't give you nights credit, just the status level. This means that to get to the next status level, your actual nights must meet the requirement.

Regarding when your status ends, you need to refer to the terms of the status challenge you did. There's probably an email stating the terms and conditions.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I thought the proper time to do a challenge was always May/June, as it was to the next normal expiration after a minimum of 10 months or so.

July to Feb doesn't seem to be "one year". If she meant to the next elite expiration, does that mean doing a challenge in early Feb gets you a few weeks? Or in December gets you 2 months?

Do you have the specific terms of the challenge you met?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

No email confirmation but verbal for the Platinum challenge . Not a problem with record keeping as Marriott confirmed I met the challenge.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's a good bet the agent had absolutely no idea what she was talking about. I believe that's about a 75% experience calling Marriott these days.

AFAIK, status is always full year, and the question for challenge acquired status is which February 28 it will expire - the next year, or the year following.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by metoo
No email confirmation but verbal for the Platinum challenge . Not a problem with record keeping as Marriott confirmed I met the challenge.
But what you need to know are the terms of the challenge, having completed it is not enough. There have been many reports of CSRs just being flat out wrong regarding the T&Cs even after being shown where to look. I've never looked at doing a challenge, but typically status runs through February two years after earned. I've never heard of a mid-year termination, but I could be mistaken.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:48 am

Programs: Mariott SE, HH, SPG SE, LT S, 9W BP
Please post if they do downgrade mid year. It'll be a first for me too
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I believe for gold/plt challenge :
if the challenge completed before 28 february 18 then you keep your status until 28 feb 19
after 28 feb 18 ... status valid until 28 feb 20

Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
When I had a challenge I received an email saying if you accept the terms and conditions, your status will be valid until .... and a specific date in 2020 has followed. Surely it will be downgraded if I will not make enough nights to keep it.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by dimon84
When I had a challenge I received an email saying if you accept the terms and conditions, your status will be valid until .... and a specific date in 2020 has followed. Surely it will be downgraded if I will not make enough nights to keep it.
I may be mistaken, but I think they have caught onto the fast bump scheme some try for an upcoming trip and don't upgrade you until the challenge has been met. A lot may depend upon what the CSR is willing/able to do with the system and we know a lot has been changing.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:21 am

Completed my challenge Feb 2018 and had a confirmation email states my PPE status will be valid till Feb 2020. If that helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.