Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silver Elite benefits

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:00 am

I've had good luck with getting late checkouts, with or without status, by asking the front desk nicely ahead of time. As long as the hotel's not full, 2pm is usually easy to get. 4pm's a bit more difficult, especially at the limited service properties, as this means that room most likely will get pulled out of inventory and won't get cleaned until the following day.

Also, I believe there's some sort of status match going on right now. Might be worth seeing if you can get that. There's a mention of it here: https://thepointsguy.com/news/marrio...hallenge-2018/ and probably some chatter in the forum here as well.

Remember, there's no harm in asking politely and treating staff well. It got me a lot of benefits when I didn't have status.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
In my experience, SPG was almost as good as Hyatt for guaranteed late checkout. But Marriott has a very firm distinction between "resorts" and regular hotels, essentially adding a "subject to availability" for any hotel that manages to call itself a "resort".

Any time you don't have published guaranteed benefits to point hotel staff towards, you are subject to their whims and "we're too full" excuses.
My two likely ski stays will both be SPG properties (Westin, Tribute). But things may have become different post-merger. You seem to paint a Hilton-type picture for SPG/Marriott's late checkout situation. So I guess maybe it's not worth trying to get Silver then.

Originally Posted by KRSW
Also, I believe there's some sort of status match going on right now. Might be worth seeing if you can get that. There's a mention of it here: https://thepointsguy.com/news/marrio...hallenge-2018/ and probably some chatter in the forum here as well.

Remember, there's no harm in asking politely and treating staff well. It got me a lot of benefits when I didn't have status.
You're very right about that. As for the status match, I appreciate the info. But there's no way I could do 8 nights in 3 months. I'm only slated to do 5 nights over the next 3 months at SPG. And other than that, I've got almost everything else planned at Hilton or Hyatt.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn
My two likely ski stays will both be SPG properties (Westin, Tribute). But things may have become different post-merger. You seem to paint a Hilton-type picture for SPG/Marriott's late checkout situation. So I guess maybe it's not worth trying to get Silver then.
80% of my experience is with legacy Marriott hotels. I don't think late checkouts are different since the merger. I've always had excellent success in getting late checkouts with Marriott. As others have said, it doesn't hurt to ask nicely, as I've done that at non-Marriott hotels and had success too. But Marriott is generally very good at late checkouts. What we're all saying here is two things:

1. It's not guaranteed for Silvers
2. Resorts follow different rules than normal Marriott hotels

So the bottom line is we're saying getting the credit card for the purpose of late checkout at resort hotels is a risk. Your chances may be slightly better than if you had no status, but the odds are likely not in your favor. Personally, given those odds, I'd skip the card and just be super friendly and polite at the front desk when you ask.
Kacee and ryw like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by craigthemif
A ski resort is unlikely to give a late checkout to a Platinum Premier, much less a Silver.
I agree a ski resort is most unlikely to give a Silver a 3 pm check-out based on status. I don't think OP's proposed strategy is realistic. He's more likely to get late checkout by pleading for mercy than based on more or less meaningless bottom tier status.
Originally Posted by evergrn
You seem to paint a Hilton-type picture for SPG/Marriott's late checkout situation.
No, you are just misreading everyone's comments.

We think your strategy is not going to work. Not because Marriott doesn't give guaranteed late checkout to elites per its rules, but because (i) Silver doesn't get guaranteed late check-out, and (ii) Resorts are not required to give late check-out (though many will if you have meaningful status, which Silver is not).
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Alright. With this, I'm now unlikely to get the card then. Thanks for all the advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.