Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Hotels now adding a $50 per person fee after 2 adults when booking an Award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Hotels now adding a $50 per person fee after 2 adults when booking an Award

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
SPG had a limit of two guests per award reservation for as long as I can remember. Yes, a 3rd guest in Italy would trigger a charge and lots of 1970s Holiday Inn Americans seemed surprised by that.
This is what I remember too: the SPG standard was a room for two as a stay using points or certs. I don't consider it unreasonable for Starriott to ask people to pay extra for additional people on "free" stays.

Similarly, it doesn't seem unreasonable to give free breakfast or lounge access for only two occupants per room unless there's an extra payment.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There was a tbread not long ago that mentioned this issue for canada and i believe tbe conclusion was to book for two.
​​​​​
www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1890144-extra-person-fee-children-canada.html

stayed with kids in calgary on awards a couple times this year and it was not an issue.

Originally Posted by DFWsakp
I saw this happening at the following:
1. Sheraton Bugainvilias, Puerto Vallarta, MX
2. Sheraton on the Falls Hotel, Niagara Falls, ON, Canada
3. Kanaskis Mountain Lodge, Autograph Collection, Alberta, Canada
4. Delta Hotels Whistler Villages, Whistler, Canada

These are the 4 I have tried on the Luxury side (although the MX one I doubt is Luxury) and faced the problem every single time. Now if I am booking at Fairfield Inn, Springhill etc. then there is no issues and they will take even 6 people without any charge.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Wow, $50/person seems like a LOT. When I worked in Hyatt reservations, it was typically $10/$20 more for each person over two.

Is this only happening on award reservations, or is this a regular hotel policy (at the hotels that charge it)?

It really is absolutely outrageous, but not a lot to do about it except try to find another place to stay. And complain to Marriott. And shame them on Tripadvisor.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:14 pm

Looking at some Asian properties, and they are tacking on an additional fee for 3rd person. Anyone been able to claim 2 adults, but actually have 3? No way I am paying for that other person fee!!!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i've noticed this for award bookings in the u.s. as well....made 2 bookings last week & both places are charging extra for kids....
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Wow, $50/person seems like a LOT. When I worked in Hyatt reservations, it was typically $10/$20 more for each person over two.
I wonder if there is some extra person rate variation where a rollaway is required vs. where the 3rd is using existing bedding for the reserved room type. I would expect the hotel sites on marriott.com to specify the rate structure for children vs. adults: under age 12, under age 18, etc.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I appreciate the data point so thank you, but MAR has 6,500 properties worldwide (and not just alll SHS, FII). I seriously doubt that all properties are doing the charge for additional guests & it might be more location specific (especially in a few countries), but not an overall MAR policy - more like a local country thing.

Cheers.
Just in this thread, I can see US, CA, MX, Several hotels in Asia, Europe.
I think we can safely say that this seems to be the case with the FS Marriott going forward.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
I booked a 2 night stay at the Westin Wall Center Vancouver last weekend. The ADVERTISED rate I clicked to accept, and then when I looked at the reservation they added a $120 extra person fee (60 per night). I was outraged as this was misleading advertising in my opinion. Anyhow I called Marriott and they called the hotel to inquire. The hotel said that no they would not charge me this fee and when I checked out, no additional fee was added.

Hyatt and other chains certainly don't do this in North America, I wonder if Marriott is planning on rolling this out?

If so this is terrible news.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: SPG
I had a one night stay on US Thanksgiving night at the Sheraton Mission Valley in San Diego. It was a paid night and I when I booked it about a month ago I kept getting a $20 higher rate when I changed from 2 adults to 2 adults plus a 10 month old infant. I'm pretty sure this was after Sheraton had been integrated into the system so this struck me as being solely a cash grab. I just went ahead and booked the room for 2 adults without the infant for the lower rate and had no issues when checking in and was not charged extra.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
So I tried to do a LNF today for one of the hotels (Sheraton at the Falls)
When rerserving with 2 Adults and 2 Kids, the Marriott rate was 345 CAD
www.lastminutetravel.com was offering the exact same room with the exact same cancellation policy for 278 CAD for 4 people (their rates were the same for 2 or 4 people)
So I submitted the LNF and the LNF Rep claims that he has to add the extra fee to the Lastminutetravel rate as that would be fair. I am at a loss as to how that is fair? Booking thru lastminutetravel means that I DON'T have to pay that fee while booking at Marriott means I have to pay this fee.
I checked the LNF rules and did not find any reason for my LNF claim to be denied.
If Marriott wants to charge the extra fee to the room rate, then shouldn't that rate be compared for the LNF?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is what I remember too: the SPG standard was a room for two as a stay using points or certs. I don't consider it unreasonable for Starriott to ask people to pay extra for additional people on "free" stays.

Similarly, it doesn't seem unreasonable to give free breakfast or lounge access for only two occupants per room unless there's an extra payment.
I completely disagree with your first point that they should charge for the additional people on "free stays" in a room. A room is a room. Does it matter if there are two people or one in each bed?

On your second point, I agree, it doesn't seem unreasonable to give free breakfast if there is 1 VS 2 VS 4 in a room. Sure. So perhaps a Platinum should just get free access for 1 in the lounge, and then $50 if they want to bring their spouse into the lounge too, as it costs more money. And then even more then if they want to bring in their kids.

Using your logic, shouldn't they just charge Platinums for the lounge if they use it as it costs them more money then a Platinum not using the lounge. The reason in my view is that is why people chase loyalty programs. The reason I purchase a room on Marriott.com rather then CHEAPER booking websites is that I get Platinum Elite Status perks if I manage to stay 50 or 75+ nights booking through Marriott.com. One of those elite benefits is a free breakfast and or lounge access. If their competition Hyatt/Hilton stopped giving out lounge/free breakfast to elite members, then I can bet you Marriott would too.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Kids

I never check the boxes for kids and we have 3. Never been an issue, but sounds they are so crazy they may start lining you up in the lobby and counting you all.

This worries me.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: SPG LIfetime Plat, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Wannabe, Hilton Silver, UA Gold
Originally Posted by JBauer
I never check the boxes for kids and we have 3.

We have 3 kids and I've pretty much always searched rooms for 5 on SPG.com. It's never been a problem with extra fees for the kids, at least without some very clear explanation or obvious rationale (e.g. a room w/ 2DB + Sofa costs a bit more than just 2DB). My gut feel based on related observation to date is that the OP has stumbled upon a change for the worse.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
At some locations, an extra fee for a 3rd person in a room isn't new. I don't remember if it was the Gritti Palace or the Danielli, but in 2011, I believe it was a 110 Euro surcharge to add a teenaged child to a reservation. That would mean that a 3rd person charge has existed longer than SPG lifetime status.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by rny321; Dec 11, 2018 at 4:59 pm
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Well, when I try to book award stays for 2 adults and 1 child in most European properties that I’ve been looking at lately, it tells me there is no availability (dropping the kid as a test reveals availability across all properties in question). I’d be happy to pay the $50 if I could at least find some availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.