Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Hotels now adding a $50 per person fee after 2 adults when booking an Award

Marriott Hotels now adding a $50 per person fee after 2 adults when booking an Award

Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold

I did a few Award Reservations at various Marriott Hotels (a couple of Delta and couple of Sheratons)
All the 4 hotels charged me a $50 fee per kid (my kids are 5 and 7) and so are expecting me to pay $100 per room per night.
When did this start happening?
In the past whenever I have stayed at Marriotts, I have rarely seen this fee.
All the above hotels accommodate 4 people in a room, it's just that they want an additional $50 per kid.
I spoke to an Agent and she then booked me for 2 Adults and noted in the comments that I will be having 2 additional kids in the room and that I should be ok.
I am still confused as to when did Marriott start nickel and diming.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Do these hotels happen to be in Europe? If so, charging for more than 2 people in a room is normal.
KRSW and brp1264 like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by jeanie
Do these hotels happen to be in Europe? If so, charging for more than 2 people in a room is normal.
+1

And in some parts of Asia. This isn't a Marriott thing - the hotel decides what to charge on that. Lounges are nicer internationally but they often charge for more than two guests per room. Lots of discussion here about that -- including discussions regarding kids.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: Aeorplan E 75, Marriott Rewards Plat
I'm in a similar situation. Taking a trip to Asia and have booked a number of hotels on points. Two adults and three kids 16, 13 and 9 in two rooms at each location. Checked the policies and kids are free if using existing bedding which is fine as mom and I are sharing a king room and the kids are sharing a room with 2 beds. When I look at my confirmations online each of the hotels wants to charge an extra person fee for the kids room. Called the elite line and the said there shouldn't be a charge but I have my doubts. Any thoughts or experiences you can share would be appreciated.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, MR Gold, Aeroplan 25K
Actually I made two last minute cash bookings at a Four Points and a Sheraton in Canada for this past weekend. Once in my account instead of showing the proper two adults and one child both reservations showed three adults and both said there would be a $10 fee for an extra person. However, once at the hotels the staff had no idea what I was referring to as in their system they could see it was two adults and a child and there was no mention of a fee for an extra person on top of the rates.
controller1 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It happens in some hotels in some mainly South Western EU countries, but I would call it a major exaggeration to call it normal in Europe as a whole.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'd also call it an exaggeration to say it's happening at all MAR/SPG properties worldwide. Having said that, I understand the OP's concern.

Cheers.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
+1

And in some parts of Asia. This isn't a Marriott thing - the hotel decides what to charge on that. Lounges are nicer internationally but they often charge for more than two guests per room. Lots of discussion here about that -- including discussions regarding kids.
No. I can understand Europe and actually in Europe, they won't even allow more than 2 people in a room and so actually I would be happy to pay the $50 per kid there as the last time I had to take 2 rooms in London and Paris.
The hotels I am talking here are in Canada and Mexico.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'd also call it an exaggeration to say it's happening at all MAR/SPG properties worldwide. Having said that, I understand the OP's concern.

Cheers.
I saw this happening at the following:
1. Sheraton Bugainvilias, Puerto Vallarta, MX
2. Sheraton on the Falls Hotel, Niagara Falls, ON, Canada
3. Kanaskis Mountain Lodge, Autograph Collection, Alberta, Canada
4. Delta Hotels Whistler Villages, Whistler, Canada

These are the 4 I have tried on the Luxury side (although the MX one I doubt is Luxury) and faced the problem every single time. Now if I am booking at Fairfield Inn, Springhill etc. then there is no issues and they will take even 6 people without any charge.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyjregular
I'm in a similar situation. Taking a trip to Asia and have booked a number of hotels on points. Two adults and three kids 16, 13 and 9 in two rooms at each location. Checked the policies and kids are free if using existing bedding which is fine as mom and I are sharing a king room and the kids are sharing a room with 2 beds. When I look at my confirmations online each of the hotels wants to charge an extra person fee for the kids room. Called the elite line and the said there shouldn't be a charge but I have my doubts. Any thoughts or experiences you can share would be appreciated.
There you go. So happening in Asia as well. My experience has been in Canada and Mexico so far.
Therefore, the title of the thread definitely is not an exaggeration which some of the posters here fell.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Westin Milan, St. Regis Florence both have 3rd person charge, rather steep at 80 euros per person. Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit has 3rd person charge for anyone older than 12. Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, St. Regis Beijing, Westin Chosun Seoul, Sheraton on the Park Sydney & Westin Sydney did not charge me for 3rd person, teenager. St. REgis Princeville Resort had 3 rd person charge.

I'll find out what Westin Hapuna does in a couple of weeks.

When I was booking for Hawaii trip, all the SPG hotels I checked had 3rd person charge, as much as $100 (or was it $125?) for St. Regis Princeville Resort.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no - the normal in europe is to not allow more than 2 ppl in the room period allegedly (according to some posters hete) due to fire code.

most hotels worldwide do not change for kids under certain age (eg 12)

if that is changing this is purely money grab along the lines of resort destination fees etc. .
I would simply not add extra kids that trigger charge to booking (aside from possible capacity constraint which i would explicitely confitm via email)

Last edited by azepine00; Dec 10, 2018 at 6:54 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
People actually change the number of guests in a room when making a reservation?
smurov and ethernal like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
SPG had a limit of two guests per award reservation for as long as I can remember. Yes, a 3rd guest in Italy would trigger a charge and lots of 1970s Holiday Inn Americans seemed surprised by that.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by DFWsakp
I saw this happening at the following:
1. Sheraton Bugainvilias, Puerto Vallarta, MX
2. Sheraton on the Falls Hotel, Niagara Falls, ON, Canada
3. Kanaskis Mountain Lodge, Autograph Collection, Alberta, Canada
4. Delta Hotels Whistler Villages, Whistler, Canada

These are the 4 I have tried on the Luxury side (although the MX one I doubt is Luxury) and faced the problem every single time. Now if I am booking at Fairfield Inn, Springhill etc. then there is no issues and they will take even 6 people without any charge.
I appreciate the data point so thank you, but MAR has 6,500 properties worldwide (and not just alll SHS, FII). I seriously doubt that all properties are doing the charge for additional guests & it might be more location specific (especially in a few countries), but not an overall MAR policy - more like a local country thing.

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.