Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Checked in, and one bed completely soaked with urine!

Old Dec 10, 18, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Exec Platinum, Former Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, United Silver

Just wondering what others responses or expected hotel management response in the same situation. I checked into a two queen room at a Springhill Suites in the Denver area and when I climbed into one bed, I quickly discovered it was soaking wet. I was seriously grossed out and jumped into the shower. After, I pulled back the sheets and the mattress was significantly stained and soaked with urine, presumably from the guest during the previous night. Housekeeping had merely just pulled the comforter up over the sheets and mattress with changing anything else! It was really late and I was very tired, and after checking the other queen bed in the room, it was fine. But I called the front desk to let them know, and to let them know I'd like to speak with the manager in the morning. I hadn't experienced this before and didn't know what to do.
In the morning, after I identified myself at the front desk, the morning manager came and apologized. He offered some points as compensation (5000) and again offered an apology. I didn't want to make a big deal at the breakfast area where this meeting took place, so I didn't really make any objections or continue the conversation. I'm a Platinum Elite, but I had never experienced anything like this before. What should I have done? What would you do?
Thanks!

Last edited by lrbenko; Dec 26, 18 at 8:59 am
Old Dec 10, 18, 3:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by lrbenko View Post
Just wondering what others responses or expected hotel management response in the same situation. I checked into a two queen room and a Springhill Suites in the Denver area and when I climbed into one bed, I quickly discovered it was soaking wet. I was seriously grossed out and jumped into the shower. After, I pulled back the sheets and the mattress was significantly stained and soaked with urine, presumably from the guest during the previous night. Housekeeping had merely just pulled the comforter up over the sheets and mattress with changing anything else! It was really late and I was very tired, and after checking the other queen bed in the room, it was fine. But I called the front desk to let them know, and to let them know I'd like to speak with the manager in the morning. I hadn't experienced this before and didn't know what to do.
In the morning, after I identified myself at the front desk, the morning manager came and apologized. He offered some points as compensation (5000) and again offered an apology. I didn't want to make a big deal at the breakfast area where this meeting took place, so I didn't really make any objections or continue the conversation. I'm a Platinum Elite, but I had never experienced anything like this before. What should I have done? What would you do?
Thanks!
How do you know it was urine?
There is no way in the world I would have been able to sleep in that room with all the stench if the bed next to me was soaked in urine.
Plus
If it was wet from the previous night, then by next night (18+ hours later) the whole room would have been stinking.
It was probably just water that was spilled.
Move on
Franky16 likes this.

Last edited by DFWsakp; Dec 10, 18 at 3:26 pm Reason: added
Old Dec 10, 18, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Exec Platinum, Former Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, United Silver
I have a pretty high tolerance for smells (I'm in the medical field). I didn't notice any strong odor in the room, but when I pulled back the comforter and the sheets, it was definitely urine. Plus it's stained very "urine" yellow.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 18, 3:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier Elite+, United 1K, Delta Gold
Per the photo, seems pretty obvious that it's urine... honestly, a new room would be my most pressing request (and drycleaning if you laid on the bed clothed), and I'd probably contact Marriott directly for them to make it right after the fact. Personally, I don't like spending time arguing with management at the hotel itself.
PointWeasel, KRSW, lrbenko and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 10, 18, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I would have called the FD & told them to move me to another room that night vs. sleeping in the other bed (which presumably you pulled back all the covers to make sure you weren't sleeping on wet or dried urine). I would not have stayed in the room that night. Up in the air on whether I would have asked for points, but probably would have accepted if they were offered. I would have asked for a discount in lieu of points. It's actually easier for a property to offer a discount than jump through hoops to buy points. I would have said to the GM to take the room out of order until they could get the urine removed from the mattress w/ a professional cleaning firm, as it's a health issue etc.

Since you mentioned the region (aka, Springhill Suites in Denver area), which specific property was it?

Cheers.
Boraxo, KRSW, CO-PLAT and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 10, 18, 6:07 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
I would also report it to the Health Department. Unsanitary conditions are not simply a "we're sorry" situation.
cruisr, KRSW, vilntrav and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 10, 18, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
I would have called the FD & told them to move me to another room that night vs. sleeping in the other bed (which presumably you pulled back all the covers to make sure you weren't sleeping on wet or dried urine). I would not have stayed in the room that night.
Agreed.

A decent hotel would comp the night without the guest having to ask for compensation.
Old Dec 10, 18, 6:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
New Plat arrival gift? YUCK I would be incensed.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 18, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I would settle for nothing less than a free night! 5000 pts doesnít get you a free night anywhere except maybe Protea Hotel. Can you identify the hotel or at least the category?

Cat 4 = 25K pts
Cat 5 = 35K pts

This is absolutely disgusting. This is where Starwood excelled. Iíve received far more points for far less serious issues. I still remember the Westin Chicago offering me 7000 SPG pts because my blow dryer wasnít working. I only mentioned it on check out so they could replace it, not because I thought I was due anything.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 18, 10:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Dia; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post
I would settle for nothing less than a free night! 5000 pts doesnít get you a free night anywhere except maybe Protea Hotel. Can you identify the hotel or at least the category?

Cat 4 = 25K pts
Cat 5 = 35K pts

This is absolutely disgusting. This is where Starwood excelled. Iíve received far more points for far less serious issues. I still remember the Westin Chicago offering me 7000 SPG pts because my blow dryer wasnít working. I only mentioned it on check out so they could replace it, not because I thought I was due anything.
And with that comparison the 7,000 Starpoints for your non-working dryer is equal to 21,000 Marriott points. Makes that 5,000 Marriott points for a urine-soaked bed look very very poor!
Old Dec 10, 18, 10:01 pm

Were you upgraded to "The Best Room" Platinum Elite would more often encounter such things Gold should have some enhanced room Members --- Standard room Yes. Standard is the best

Originally Posted by lrbenko View Post
I'm a Platinum Elite, but I had never experienced anything like this before.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 18, 12:13 am

I can't believe they didn't switch rooms for you immediately, WITHOUT any prompting from you. Even the most incompetent overnight front desk clerk should have known enough to do that. I also agree that the room should have been comp'd in full, no questions asked.

Name & Shame the hotel -- This isn't just a single failure here. Housekeeping, front desk, AND the morning manager have all failed to meet basic hotel standards, let alone Marriott's brand standards.
chrisboote and Franky16 like this.
Old Dec 11, 18, 12:31 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I don't think I would ever go back to this property if this happened to me. You definitely should have the night comped and some points put your way. Disgusting.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 18, 12:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cozysuite View Post
Were you upgraded to "The Best Room" Platinum Elite would more often encounter such things Gold should have some enhanced room Members --- Standard room Yes. Standard is the best
This property has an extra special welcome gift for Ambassadors and PPE.
Old Dec 11, 18, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
the property should definitely comp you the night in the very least....5k points simply isn't enough for something like this....
Franky16 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: