Wiki Posts
Search

Whoa! Password Reset WAY too easy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Whoa! Password Reset WAY too easy

So I could not find a place to change my password online. I called the Plat line and they asked two very simple questions (that anyone would probably know) and sent me a link directly to reset the password. I did not even have to know my existing password. This was WAY too easy and doesn't this just make it that much easier to hack someones account? WTH?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:43 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
You should set up a PIN for your account. Then before the agent could even pull up your account, you have to provide them with your PIN.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by hhoope01
You should set up a PIN for your account. Then before the agent could even pull up your account, you have to provide them with your PIN.
This. I've had a PIN on my account for years.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by lucycan
I called the Plat line and they asked two very simple questions (that anyone would probably know) and sent me a link directly to reset the password.
What were the questions?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
So I could not find a place to change my password online. I called the Plat line and they asked two very simple questions (that anyone would probably know) and sent me a link directly to reset the password. I did not even have to know my existing password. This was WAY too easy and doesn't this just make it that much easier to hack someones account? WTH?
If knowing your existing password was required to reset your password.... that'd be problematic
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
If knowing your existing password was required to reset your password.... that'd be problematic
This. I have ONLY ever wanted to reset a password after forgetting the current one!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by trooper
This. I have ONLY ever wanted to reset a password after forgetting the current one!
Well to be fair, the rationale here probably has to do with resetting the password due to the massive data breach, not so much having forgot it.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:29 pm

so they sent you a link to your email address on file or an email you provided during the call? If on file, then it’s like any other password reset I’ve seen (non 2 factor resets)
smc333, CPRich and writerguyfl like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
This is what I'm most concerned about.

So I could not find a place to change my password online.
1) Sign into your account.
2) Click on your name in the upper right corner.
3) Click on "Profile".
4) Click on "Change Password"

That's all folks!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:07 pm

The problem is when your email is hacked
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
isn't think what pretty much every company does????they ask you a couple of security questions to verify your identity & then send you a link on your registered email address....
margarita girl and CPRich like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by cozysuite
The problem is when your email is hacked
Nothing is 100% foolproof. Many sites I use allow a request to reset the password without any challenge and an email shows up minutes later. Until someone gets burned, computer security rarely gets an afterthought.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Smiley90
It would certainly make the resetting process more secure
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Sorry if the link was sent to your email on file there really is no issue here as most companies will do that just by clicking reset password, so by having 2 questions to answer it was actually more difficult than most!
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by controller1
This is what I'm most concerned about.

1) Sign into your account.
2) Click on your name in the upper right corner.
3) Click on "Profile".
4) Click on "Change Password"

That's all folks!
I just found this thread after searching issues changing Marriott passwords.

When I go to my profile get the following message: We're temporarily unable to display the information requested"

I mean really. Huge data breach - a link to change your password should be on the front page. I'm changing my password as this breach finally made me make the move to a password manager so I need to change all my passwords.

After 10 minutes on the phone with Marriott (mostly on hold) they sent me a link to reset my password. No security questions nothing. I have the same concerns as the OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.