Marriott's state (CA) government rate

Old Dec 8, 18, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United 30+ yrs
Question Marriott's state (CA) government rate

As a state of California employee I fit the criteria for Marriott's (state - CA) government rate although the website notes that I am only allowed to book two rooms. I reserved two rooms for myself and our daughter for 2 nights over Christmas and now my sister is coming for 3 nights. The system allowed me to make her reservation for two overlapping nights even thought it is quite clear that I already have two.

Does anyone think this will be an issue? The desk staff never seem to pay any attention to this at check in, and in years of doing this quite legitimately no one has ever asked for the ID I have taken with me. The rate is half the usual rate so substantial enough to consider trying to do this. Advice or experience with this?
Old Dec 8, 18, 10:10 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
You will have to contact the hotel. It is up to them. They could let you get however many rooms at any rate they want to allow. While I am no longer using the Gov't rate, I've had opportunities in the past (as well as other pretty restrictive rates.) It all comes back to what the hotel will allow. I've been able to use a Gov't rate when the rate "text" stated gov't employees only, no contractors (and I was a 3rd party vendor working for the gov't.) We talked to the hotel, let them know how many of us, for how long and they decided it was worth it to them to let us use that rate. Other hotels, may not have done that.
Old Dec 8, 18, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United 30+ yrs
Thanks hhoope01. I had not thought about that but it sounds like just the right idea and given the fact that this is a business traveler sort of Marriott and it will be Christmas I imagine they might be happy for the business. Will report back after I call on Monday.
Old Dec 8, 18, 4:50 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Curious that you've never had to show proof/ID upon check-in. I'm "carded" every time, don't mind since it's legit, but curious how you managed not to....must be my shady looks!
Old Dec 8, 18, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie View Post
Curious that you've never had to show proof/ID upon check-in. I'm "carded" every time, don't mind since it's legit, but curious how you managed not to....must be my shady looks!
Honestly I have wondered about it too. I even brought a pay stub once when I couldn't find my ID. A lot of my use of it has been for non-business trips (the business ones have often been meetings with conference rate rooms blocked out for national meetings). Most often the people behind the desk are young and seem not to notice or care about the rate. Or maybe the particular hotels just want the business? Or maybe I just have an honest face
Old Dec 10, 18, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
You will have to contact the hotel. It is up to them. They could let you get however many rooms at any rate they want to allow. While I am no longer using the Gov't rate, I've had opportunities in the past (as well as other pretty restrictive rates.) It all comes back to what the hotel will allow. I've been able to use a Gov't rate when the rate "text" stated gov't employees only, no contractors (and I was a 3rd party vendor working for the gov't.) We talked to the hotel, let them know how many of us, for how long and they decided it was worth it to them to let us use that rate. Other hotels, may not have done that.
The word from the manager at the front desk (via the desk clerk; apparently he didn't want to bother coming to the phone): this rate is only for business travel, not leisure, and 2 room maximum. The rate details show nothing at all about restrictions on the type of travel. I was going to go by what is written on the web (for 2 rooms) when I realize the AAA rate is only $10 more so am just going to use that. There is generally a much wider discrepancy in those two rates. And regarding "proof" of entitlement to rates, we now need to enter the AAA number to make the reservation. Fine with me, but this is new, or at lease recent.

Undoubtedly still worth checking if this ever is a question for anyone else. This manager may be atypical - and cranky
Old Dec 10, 18, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Generally, if the official travel rate is available for leisure, the rate terms will expressly say so.

Many properties capacity control their government rate rooms. Thus, if someone who is ineligible books one, another person traveling on per diem can't get one and either stays elsewhere or has to pay out of pocket.
Old Dec 10, 18, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

So interesting Often1, thanks. Although I have not booked this kind of rate a lot, none of this has been an issue before (icluding anyone caring for any proof), but quite possible it has evolved over the years. But good for future readers of this thread to know.

One curiosity is why the system will allow you to book 3 rooms when they only allow 2. Open Table, for example, will not allow you to book overlapping reservations until you cancel one. I imagine the simple answer is that Marriott's system is just not set up that way, although that seems curious too.

Last edited by mstraveler; Dec 10, 18 at 10:20 pm Reason: addition
Old Dec 10, 18, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mstraveler View Post
And regarding "proof" of entitlement to rates, we now need to enter the AAA number to make the reservation. Fine with me, but this is new, or at lease recent.
First report I can find of this was in April. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29619540-post397.html

Search this Thread