Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Paris riots and non-refundable stays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

I am supposed to spend last week of the year at a Marriott in Paris with my family (small children), and thus I booked a non-refundable stay. Who could have thought of local situation going down so hard !

In case things don't improve and my wife is too scared, are a refund/credit for future stay impossible, or does anyone have any advice to get such exceptional commercial gesture ?

Last edited by vilntrav; Dec 7, 2018 at 12:51 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:10 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Unless the hotel is on the Champs Elysees and you’re staying on a weekend, Paris is essentially normal.

I wouldn’t have thought you’d have much luck from any hotel (unless it’s damaged and has to close). Insurance is the fall-back in cases like this, but Paris is working as normal at the moment. What you may be seeing on US TV probably doesn’t reflect what’s actually happening in the city.
boss315, vilntrav, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:35 pm

Even during the riots, Paris is more safe than Detroit on an average night
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:45 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Even during the riots, Paris is more safe than Detroit on an average night
In general I agree with you, but a trip to Paris right now will be impacted:

French authorities Thursday announced that the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre and dozens of museums, tourist spots and shops will be closed this weekend as they anticipate potential riots and violence during anti-government protests in Paris.

In addition, The Paris Opera has canceled scheduled performances this weekend for security reasons.

For its part, the U.S. State Department has not changed its Level 2 travel advisory warning, meaning that American tourists must “exercise increased caution” due to terrorism. The U.S. Embassy in Paris released its own demonstration alert, advising visitors to stay away from turbulent areas.

We were just at the Prince de Galles in October and vowed to visit this wonderful hotel and beautiful city more frequently.
We absolutely love Paris.

But the overturned cars on fire, smashed windows and tear gassed crowds took place 800 meters from the hotel. That doesn’t seem like a relaxing vacation to me.

I would feel the same if the demonstrations were in NYC, DC or Los Angeles.

I think OP’s inquiry is valid.
Happy, EDIflyer, etsmyers and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
This is the risk in booking non-refundable. If you have travel nsurance then maybe you can get out of it. Otherwise, I agree that Paris will be much better than Detroit.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a friend who is staying in their 2nd home in Paris currently as their twice a year sojourn of several months.

He emailed me last night said situation really IS BAD because there is NO Leaders of the current protest groups that the police can negotiate with, like the French government has been doing such for decades and decades, as a tradition. But on this one, they dont even know how to because the "yellow vests" are such loosely groups. Things are rapidly deteriorated and spiraling out of control.

I would suggest OP to contact the hotel directly and ask if the stay can be postponed to future dates.
KRSW and happygolucky_nomad like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I can only speak for myself, but while I might be concerned I certainly wouldn't cancel a stay '3 weeks out'. Again, 3 weeks away. Things change.

I PM'd a FTer who is Paris-based & asked her to post in this thread (probably tomorrow or over weekend). I expect her response to be similar to EuropeanPete (who also sounds like a local), but we'll see.

Cheers.
KRSW, wrp96 and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Collierkr
This is the risk in booking non-refundable. If you have travel nsurance then maybe you can get out of it.
Agreed . Non-refundable is generally cheaper and has risks. Things happen-foreseeable and not. Get insurance. I'd try to cancel, but if the hotel is open and they won't let you, that's the deal made.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
And again, a riot upset re: gas prices in France will be solved by Xmas . If nothing else, I bet the French decide to use their Xmas holiday being on holiday

Cheers.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I can only speak for myself, but while I might be concerned I certainly wouldn't cancel a stay '3 weeks out'. Again, 3 weeks away. Things change.

I PM'd a FTer who is Paris-based & asked her to post in this thread (probably tomorrow or over weekend). I expect her response to be similar to EuropeanPete (who also sounds like a local), but we'll see.

Cheers.
I am actually based in Paris at the moment and as i’m not in the 8th district despite being in the centre of the city (4th) there has been no visible sign of the protests apart from watching local tv. For the time being at least one can think of this as an 8th district Saturdays problem.

There’s a good chance that whatever happens in the next few hours will tell you if things are actually escalating in a way which raises concerns about 3 weeks from now.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:10 am
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
Smile

Originally Posted by Happy
I have a friend who is staying in their 2nd home in Paris currently as their twice a year sojourn of several months.

He emailed me last night said situation really IS BAD because there is NO Leaders of the current protest groups that the police can negotiate with, like the French government has been doing such for decades and decades, as a tradition. But on this one, they dont even know how to because the "yellow vests" are such loosely groups. Things are rapidly deteriorated and spiraling out of control.

I would suggest OP to contact the hotel directly and ask if the stay can be postponed to future dates.
I agree with this post. Calling directly to a hotel has worked for me twice, once I actually booked the wrong stay date, and another when there was a schedule change. Sometime during my stay when I get to the hotel I ask for the person who bailed me out and give them a Thank you card with a tip. They are always most appreciative
KRSW likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by vilntrav
I am supposed to spend last week of the year at a Marriott in Paris with my family (small children), and thus I booked a non-refundable stay. Who could have thought of local situation going down so hard !

In case things don't improve and my wife is too scared, are a refund/credit for future stay impossible, or does anyone have any advice to get such exceptional commercial gesture ?
The last week of the year in Paris is almost certainly going to be relatively quiet, and I'm very certain there won't be much of the way in riots disturbing the major tourist spots in Paris during most all of the post-Christmas week of the year.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
And again, a riot upset re: gas prices in France will be solved by Xmas . If nothing else, I bet the French decide to use their Xmas holiday being on holiday

Cheers.
As long as they don't come to the UK on holiday - our fuel prices are even higher than their ones, and that's standard for us! I found it amazing how cheap petrol prices were in the US when on holiday there recently, even with the weak GBP exchange rate!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...taxes-protests
nequine likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by vilntrav

Please do not cancel and come enjoy the city. The demonstrations are only on Saturday and the rest of town is just fine, and the city is fine the rest of the week. Really, from someone who lives in Paris.

come and enjoy the beautiful city of light.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by damon88

In general I agree with you, but a trip to Paris right now will be impacted:

French authorities Thursday announced that the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre and dozens of museums, tourist spots and shops will be closed this weekend as they anticipate potential riots and violence during anti-government protests in Paris.

In addition, The Paris Opera has canceled scheduled performances this weekend for security reasons.

For its part, the U.S. State Department has not changed its Level 2 travel advisory warning, meaning that American tourists must “exercise increased caution” due to terrorism. The U.S. Embassy in Paris released its own demonstration alert, advising visitors to stay away from turbulent areas.

We were just at the Prince de Galles in October and vowed to visit this wonderful hotel and beautiful city more frequently.
We absolutely love Paris.

But the overturned cars on fire, smashed windows and tear gassed crowds took place 800 meters from the hotel. That doesn’t seem like a relaxing vacation to me.

I would feel the same if the demonstrations were in NYC, DC or Los Angeles.

I think OP’s inquiry is valid.
They are closed just on this SATURDAY, and not the weekend, only Saturday.

as to who wrote about the Gilets Jaunes having no leader, yes they don’t but that doesn’t mean they can protest anytime they want, they only do it on Saturday, probably there won’t be any manifs next week.

Take le it from someone who is here, PARIS is safe, thank you.

Nothing happened on George Cinq where PRD is, the damage was on Rue Kléber. This week the police is managing the crowds very well. And so far not much damage.
EuropeanPete and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by Yahillwe; Dec 8, 2018 at 7:29 am Reason: Added more info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.