Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Is Marriott elite status worth it (General Discussion Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Marriott elite status worth it (General Discussion Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by cozysuite
Other than bonus points, some say United Silver and Hertz president's circle status are advantage.
Depending on location, Prez Circle can indeed be quite nice. However, that's only a benefit of Ambassador status - not the 75-night Plat level.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:13 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Perhaps I am an optimistic fool but the Titanium/Ambassador rumor makes me hopeful that there may be a meaningful distinction in the future.

I checked in at a hotel yesterday that I have visited 4 or 5 times before that has never mentioned my status. Yesterday I was surprised to be greeted as a Platinum Premier (though she said that she could not see Ambassador on her end & she knew what it was because her father has Ambassador status)

The other day a search for something else led me to a page with job descriptions for a Marriott hotel in Prague and I thought this was interesting:

“Assist Elite guest and guest with Executive Lounge access during their stay with particular focus on Platinum Premier Elite and Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador Service, Member activities/experiences, Problem resolution and Platinum Premier Elite and Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador Service departure/check-out.”

Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by back in the air
I'm 2 nights away from Platinum Premier Elite and my business travel is over for the year. Is it worth going ahead and spending my own dime in the next 2 weeks to get to Platinum Premier Elite. Other than Point Bonus bump doesn't seem to be much difference
For me it would depend on how cheaply you can do it, and if there's any other benefit, e.g., a nearby city where you wouldn't mind spending a weekend with your sweetie before New Year's. Otherwise don't worry about it.

My husband is in a similar situation. He's lifetime PPE, but wanted to hit 50 nights for the SNA. He spent too many nights at Hilton & Hyatt in the last few months, and is now 1 short at Marriott, with no more work travel. We do have a quick trip planned for the last weekend of 2018, but I have a good deal at a Hilton with an Amex offer. It's sad that I value the $40 Amex savings for the Hilton vs 5 Marriott SNAs. I'm just skeptical that we'll be able to use them.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by back in the air
I'm 2 nights away from Platinum Premier Elite and my business travel is over for the year. Is it worth going ahead and spending my own dime in the next 2 weeks to get to Platinum Premier Elite. Other than Point Bonus bump doesn't seem to be much difference
In effect it's one night because you will get to choose a free night at 75. If you pay for a couple of nights at a low end property then the cash value of the free night can be worth more than the two paid nights.

I would do it.

Not for the points because they're of minor value over the year but because (considering the neutral cost of getting the two nights) we don't know what's happening to the programme next year and if 75 nights will get a new name then we don't know if it get any new benefits or treatment. Who knows but given that you're so close I'd take the punt and find out when the new programme is revealed next year. You won't have lost anything material.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ehallison
It's sad that I value the $40 Amex savings for the Hilton vs 5 Marriott SNAs. I'm just skeptical that we'll be able to use them.
I am in a similar situation,although I will probably need 3 more nights to reach 75 and 5 more SNAs. I have been unable to use the initial 5,so it is doubtful I will attempt to reach the 75.
At this point, while I am thankful to be Lifetime Plat Premier, cash is now becoming more valuable to me,rather than chasing the additional SNAs.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by freeflyin
I am in a similar situation,although I will probably need 3 more nights to reach 75 and 5 more SNAs. I have been unable to use the initial 5,so it is doubtful I will attempt to reach the 75.
At this point, while I am thankful to be Lifetime Plat Premier, cash is now becoming more valuable to me,rather than chasing the additional SNAs.
It would be nice if these were confirmable at the time of reservation. Up to the day before arrival isn't a great benefit. Which is why their theoretical value to me is $8/ea, I suppose.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I would do it for sure.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
I would do it too.
Just find a Cat 1 hotel nearby and make a dummy reservation for 15,000 points and you are all set.
As someone mentioned above, that it can give you a Free Night Certificate up to 35,000 points (or 5 SNAs). That itself is a huge thing and driver to do this.
I would have done it even if I had needed 3 nights.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
This is a no-brainer, for sure. You spend 15,000 points on a Cat 1. You then earn 25% extra points all of 2019. So if you have a $150 room rate average, with 70 nights in 2019, that's 26,000 points. It pays for itself.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Ti, Hilton Dia, MVC Chairman, Hertz PC, Royal Caribbean D+, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by DFWsakp
I would do it too.
Just find a Cat 1 hotel nearby and make a dummy reservation for 15,000 points and you are all set.
As someone mentioned above, that it can give you a Free Night Certificate up to 35,000 points (or 5 SNAs). That itself is a huge thing and driver to do this.
I would have done it even if I had needed 3 nights.
Actually free night choice is for a room up to 40,000 points.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
I'm at 73 nights for the year, so I think I'm going to find a local cheap property and do it.

I chose the 5 SNA's at 50 nights and tried to use them on a recent trip to Hong Kong (at the Renaissance). It was nice that they let you choose the room type that you're interested in, and I went for The Dynasty Suite (from a studio suite). I got an email confirmation a couple of weeks before my check in and said that I got my upgrade. Well, it turns out I didn't. When I checked in, they offered me something between my studio suite and the dynasty suite. I declined. They called me in my room and asked if I wanted to use the SNA's and pay for a lower room rate, I declined that as well - I figured I still have 14 months to use them, I'll try again.

Well, when I got back from my trip I noticed that my SNAs had been applied to my stay so I called Marriott and tried to get them back. I've done this twice and no luck. I lost them. I'm a little frustrated about the whole thing.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I'd do 2 nights to secure PP status, if I could do it either a) very cheaply for a phantom stay (where I check in but don't actually stay in the hotel), or b) at a modest price for a stay-cation type trip.

I'll note that "just book a Cat-1 on points" is not an easy option for a lot of people. Marriott's hotel directory shows that the nearest Cat-1 property to my home in Silicon Valley is 935 miles away. In fact, if you live anywhere on the West Coast, forget about finding a Cat-1 within hundreds of miles.

Map: Marriott Category 1 Hotels in United States
jonisflying likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
I'd do 2 nights to secure PP status, if I could do it either a) very cheaply for a phantom stay (where I check in but don't actually stay in the hotel), or b) at a modest price for a stay-cation type trip.
Yeah, I'm really thinking about it!

Here's a question - there is a local Courtyard that I can get for about $100USD a night, and it's close so I can swing by to check in. However, can I look for a cheaper place and check in via the app and never have to visit the property????

Also, @darthbimmer I love the thing in your signature!

yrt ,gnihtemos dnatsrednu uoy kniht uoy fI
.evitcepsrep tnereffid a morf ti ta gnikool
Thats great!
​​​​​​​
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:19 am

Not that I would ever condone such behavior, but you might be able to find a sympathetic inexpensive hotel that would be willingly take your money even if you don't stay there... Or perhaps more you've stayed at frequently and have become familiar with the staff.

I just "pre-paid" for a Dr's office appointment which I plan on completing next month. There 's more than one way to skin a cat.
jonisflying likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:20 pm

Question for the Ambassadors out there. I am at $19,700 spend for the year (135 nights)...is it worth doing a mattress run before NYE to get the additional $300 required for Ambassador status? I am LT PPE. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.