Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Elite Status Soft Landing [Drop only one level if status is not re-attained]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Elite Status Soft Landing [Drop only one level if status is not re-attained]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.

Hi,

I think I'll end up at 72 days this year, I've been rewarded Gold and Platinum at below thresholds if I came close, don't quite remember how close... do they also reward Platinum Premier, as a gesture, if I end up with 72 days? If not, is it worth doing a cpl of extra nights to get there?

Thanks
theonewhoflutters likes this.

Last edited by alexbc; Dec 5, 2018 at 12:24 am
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Nobody knows - it would be very much against Marriott's interest to comment on these "courtesy levels" publically.

The only way to be sure to get the status is to meet the official thresholds.

Actually, on second thought, given Marriott's IT mess and terrible customer service, you can't be sure either way....
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Whenever travel companies make these "gestures", it ends up being reported on the internet and everybody else who didn't get the "gesture" ends up complaining. Which is why thresholds are published and generally adhered to. Or specific promos are offered for double status credit, etc.

If you can squeeze in three more nights, I'd do it.
SPN Lifer and JackE like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:30 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Previously Marriott did allow for courtesy extensions to 50 or 75 night levels based upon averaging 3 years of nights, and did courtesy the 50 and 75 night levels to those who got close and asked. But Marriott has cut out lots of different shortcuts to status and clearly wants those 25/50/75 nights to be that figure (somewhat less for those that carry their credit card) so unless your counter says 75 nights you really can’t be sure they’ll comp you the PP status. Personally I think Marriott used to accept that it’s top status was way more demanding than the competition and so was generous with shortcuts and comping, I don’t think it feels that any longer, so I’d squeeze out those extra 3 nights if I were you...
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Strange question. You need to have 75 nights, it is very clear. Why they should do that. Just stay 3 nights more.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:10 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by northernstar84
Strange question. You need to have 75 nights, it is very clear. Why they should do that. Just stay 3 nights more.
Nothing strange about the question. This is something that history has shown to happen in various situations. The advice to stay the 3 nights to be certain is sound.
dgreen12, MilesTalk and KRSW like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Unless you have several years history showing you usually do say about 80nights, ideally 100 I would certainly not expect Marriott to give you the status and generally I would support Marriott on this view. If 72 nights will get the status then 72 nights should be the target set!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: None - previously UA
I’m at 72 nights as well, expecting to be Platinum next year not Premier Platinum.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Here's last year's thread on courtesy renewals:
Courtesy Status Renewal

The old program was fairly generous around this. I may be the champ having once renewed platinum with just 18 nights, none of which were paid. But whether the new program will behave the same way is completely unknown.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
I would suggest finding a cheap points stay to complete the three nights. You can get a free 35k night as the 75 night bonus, which would offset some/most/all of the points used at a cat 1/2 hotel.

Does the soft landing still exist? Could be another reason to get PP.

And if anyone wants to test the threshold with 72 nights, please report back. I highly doubt it will work, unless this year is an outlier in terms of a lower night count thsn usual. If they can even determinr that with their IT...
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by swag
Here's last year's thread on courtesy renewals:
Courtesy Status Renewal

The old program was fairly generous around this. I may be the champ having once renewed platinum with just 18 nights, none of which were paid. But whether the new program will behave the same way is completely unknown.
MR was more likely to make exceptions to extend status than grant it initially. I believe I exactly hit the three year combined total needed for what was then Platinum one year. "If" that policy still existed, one would need an average of more than 50 nights for the last three years, but far less than 75.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.
Thanks guys, I think the question is legit, as if I don't get the courtesy (looks like I won't), is it WORTH the extra 3 nights stay cost, for the added benefits? I can't figure that out... does it?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Nothing strange about the question. This is something that history has shown to happen in various situations. The advice to stay the 3 nights to be certain is sound.
The question is strange being posted here because NO ONE here can say definitively.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by alexbc
Thanks guys, I think the question is legit, as if I don't get the courtesy (looks like I won't), is it WORTH the extra 3 nights stay cost, for the added benefits? I can't figure that out... does it?
How many nights did you spend in Marriott hotels over the last three years? The answer would depend on how much the three nights cost and how much value you get out of them. If you find 5 additional suite nights, additional points, the possibility of better upgrades and United silver more than the additional costs for the three nights, then chasing a higher status level makes sense.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
Originally Posted by rny321
How many nights did you spend in Marriott hotels over the last three years? The answer would depend on how much the three nights cost and how much value you get out of them. If you find 5 additional suite nights, additional points, the possibility of better upgrades and United silver more than the additional costs for the three nights, then chasing a higher status level makes sense.
This, plus...How much time do you plan to spend in Marriott hotels next year? Presumably, you're not considering chasing PP status for just the remainder of this program year, but for ALL of 2019. If you'll have significant time spent in hotels next year, then that should enter the equation, too. If not, then I don't see much point in getting PP status just so you can say "Once upon a time, I was a Marriott PP status holder."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.