Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Elite Status Soft Landing [Drop only one level if status is not re-attained]

Marriott Elite Status Soft Landing [Drop only one level if status is not re-attained]

Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:33 am

I am literally speechless, I wrote back to Marriott on the same email that I got in Nov 19 re Titanium will be soft-landed to Platinum and the response I got TODAY was that the policy has changed since and the soft landing policy was no longer applicable. At least I could have redeemed all my points if I knew I was getting screwed.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by agjil
Many former Ambassadors were soft-landed to Titanium is spite of not having stayed at least 75 nights last year, so some sort of soft-landing definitely happened.
Also, Titaniums going down to Gold is already a soft landing, isn't it?
If one had fewer than 25 QN last year, he/she should have become Silver or should have gotten no status at all, but it looks like all former Titaniums got at least Gold.
Bonvoy Gold is a joke
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:04 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by ronaldko
Bonvoy Gold is a joke
All they need is a consistent policy you can rely on, and a years notice if they are going to change it. People make decisions based on what is understood to be the status quo. I assumed I would be soft landed to Plat this year, so planned on getting back to Plat and possibly even Titanium by the end of the year. I'm not sure I care to do 26 more nights with just Gold and may just give up and be a free agent. If travel restrictions lift in the second half of the year there will likely be some good promos around anyway. Quite frankly it seems there are some inexperienced people leading the Marriott loyalty department.
nacho likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Many former Ambassadors were soft-landed to Titanium is spite of not having stayed at least 75 nights last year, so some sort of soft-landing definitely happened.
Also, Titaniums going down to Gold is already a soft landing, isn't it?
If one had fewer than 25 QN last year, he/she should have become Silver or should have gotten no status at all, but it looks like all former Titaniums got at least Gold.
I was well over 25 EQN last year so absolutely do not see it as a soft landing of any kind. Soft landing is almost universally recognised as dropping down one status, when you effectively qualified for a status that would be even lower. Accor had (has) it, as does Shangri-La and Radisson (IME). I think IHG also has it but if you buy Ambassador they preserve your status anyway (FWIW at IHG).

Hilton is the one that never had it so you cannot cry foul about lack of soft landings there. Their policy has always been consistent (but unlike Marriott they might be generous with waivers).
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
All they need is a consistent policy you can rely on, and a years notice if they are going to change it. People make decisions based on what is understood to be the status quo. I assumed I would be soft landed to Plat this year, so planned on getting back to Plat and possibly even Titanium by the end of the year. I'm not sure I care to do 26 more nights with just Gold and may just give up and be a free agent. If travel restrictions lift in the second half of the year there will likely be some good promos around anyway. Quite frankly it seems there are some inexperienced people leading the Marriott loyalty department.
It was the same with me. I was around 40 EQN so all I had to do was hold one meeting before I went home for Christmas. I had a candidate lined up for a meeting room but they wouldn't budge from their initial offer (Ł100) and I'd heard that it was a place that could be difficult to get the credits put through unless you actually showed up for it. It would also have involved a detour on my way home from the airport so I decided to take the lurkers at their word and leave it at that. Clearly my mistake but Marriott have now lost a customer who had multiple bookings lined up for later in the year (with two weeks already booked). That business - and all foreseeable post COVID business - will now go direct to Hilton.

I'm not from the US so couldn't get the easy win of 15 EQN from the Amex CC, but if I had that (now available in the UK also) I would easily have cleared the 50-night requirement. I had planned to get the Bonvoy CC around Easter, but now I obviously won't be bothering.

Last edited by yurtripper; Mar 23, 2020 at 11:27 am Reason: Added details about credit card.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
From what I've read, soft-landing doesn't necessarily mean going down one level.
Marriott seems to define soft-landing as going down one or two levels according to this LoyaltyLobby post: https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/02/13/marriott-bonvoy-elite-member-soft-landing-policy-in-2020
From the datapoints I've seen so far, soft landing did happen, and Titaniums and Plats got a two-level landing while many Ambassadors got a one-level landing.
I wasn't soft landed to Gold, I had almost 40 nights last year. I'm LTG anyway so I don't know whether it's called soft-landing.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by yurtripper
And Hilton China gives a waiver till 2022!
Not aware of this. Did Hilton China notify members by email? I have not received any.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:33 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Not aware of this. Did Hilton China notify members by email? I have not received any.
By Wechat
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
I wasn't soft landed to Gold, I had almost 40 nights last year. I'm LTG anyway so I don't know whether it's called soft-landing.
Im also Lifetime Gold but to me there is almost no difference with Silver, so from now on all my future stay will goes to my HHonors Gold account
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:08 am

-deleted

Last edited by jshap11; Mar 24, 2020 at 11:49 am Reason: wanting to delete my post
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by jshap11
Just got an email back from Marriott when I asked about the soft landing- " Our policies regarding the soft downgrade have only changed in the past week." See Below...
---Thank you for contacting Marriott Bonvoy™ Customer Care.

Our policies regarding the soft downgrade have only changed in the past week. So you were not misinformed, as we were not aware of this change until the change occurred.

I understand your point, and do not in principle disagree. However we can not currently offer you the Platinum status. As the crisis develops they may well update the policy again but at present there is unfortunately nothing this department can do.
just wow... You would think they have better things to change last week during the “crisis”.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ronaldko
Im also Lifetime Gold but to me there is almost no difference with Silver, so from now on all my future stay will goes to my HHonors Gold account
As a lifetime Marriott Bonv°y Gold Elite, I am striving for Lifetime Platinum.

Onward and upward!
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by jshap11
Just got an email back from Marriott when I asked about the soft landing- " Our policies regarding the soft downgrade have only changed in the past week." See Below...
---Thank you for contacting Marriott Bonvoy™ Customer Care.

Our policies regarding the soft downgrade have only changed in the past week. So you were not misinformed, as we were not aware of this change until the change occurred.

I understand your point, and do not in principle disagree. However we can not currently offer you the Platinum status. As the crisis develops they may well update the policy again but at present there is unfortunately nothing this department can do.
What a mess of a company ...why on earth did they not communicate this publicly (via fax or email) ...like "suspension of soft landing program due to severe circumstances ...." instead this ...or maybe its a wag the dog scenario IT dept. got its fair deal of cuts so they needed to do the simplest solution possible....
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:50 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by myperks
just wow... You would think they have better things to change last week during the “crisis”.
Marriott's not alone https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...il-2020-a.html
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by X-ON
What a mess of a company ...why on earth did they not communicate this publicly (via fax or email) ...like "suspension of soft landing program due to severe circumstances ...." instead this ...or maybe its a wag the dog scenario IT dept. got its fair deal of cuts so they needed to do the simplest solution possible....
That's a good point. Just like Marriott made a rule that SNAs couldn't be applied to prepaid rates because their IT couldn't modify a prepaid rate. It's very possible that IT could not write the software for the soft landing, so easiest solution was to withdraw it!

It really makes no sense to antagonize their members by withdrawing a benefit that was already promised, when they will desperately need business once this Covid 19 is done with.
yurtripper likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.