Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Full service Marriott - room unserviced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Marriott*Plutonium Lifetime, other stuff

Came back to my room 9pm Sunday on the last night of a four-night stay at a full-service Marriott to find the room completely untouched since I'd left it at noon: beds unmade, towels unchanged, etc. When I complained to the front desk the response was essentially "that's strange - we will need to take that up with housekeeping tomorrow."

I'm not generally a fussy DYKWIA but at the same time I can't help feeling that part of paying for a full-service hotel is, well, full service. I understand that there isn't much the hotel can do directly at night, since presumably housekeeping have gone, but it leaves a bit of a bad taste for me. On the scale of 'move on' to 'scorch and salt the very earth so that for generations no-one will dare return to the cursed place' what should one do in this situation?

TM
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
At a minimum they should give you the Green Choice points!
nequine likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there should be recovery, but it can be extremely minimal. when a franchise, can also look up management company

(note bill gates' finance team have reduced whats required to be done nightly at Four Seasons hotels, regardless of rate)
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Well ... I've had that happen a couple of times over the years.

Not sure if I said anything last time ... mistakes happen ... but maybe MAGC and a drink coupon?
dayone likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:20 pm

Name the location so we can decide whether to stay or not.
Rd3 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
I had that happen to me once earlier this year. It was 6pm on a weeknight when I returned to my room (not 9pm Sunday), and when I called the front desk of the hotel I was at, they said that they would send someone up right away to service my room, and gave me 9,000 points (without my prompting or DYKWIA'ing at the front desk) for their lack of service.

-mvitale
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If people would post the location, it would be helpful. If this has happened to others at the same property, it's not a mistake. If others have had outstanding experiences, it's probably a simple error.
Rd3 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Travellin_man
Came back to my room 9pm Sunday on the last night of a four-night stay at a full-service Marriott to find the room completely untouched since I'd left it at noon: beds unmade, towels unchanged, etc. When I complained to the front desk the response was essentially "that's strange - we will need to take that up with housekeeping tomorrow."

I'm not generally a fussy DYKWIA but at the same time I can't help feeling that part of paying for a full-service hotel is, well, full service. I understand that there isn't much the hotel can do directly at night, since presumably housekeeping have gone, but it leaves a bit of a bad taste for me. On the scale of 'move on' to 'scorch and salt the very earth so that for generations no-one will dare return to the cursed place' what should one do in this situation?
I vote for move on. Ask for compensation only if you're one who never makes mistakes and never tolerates them in others (not at all suggesting that you are, just the criterion I apply in the situation you've described).
Fizzer likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Did you have your do not disturb sign out or a do not service sign out? Not saying you did, but I've heard from many hotel folk that someone complains about no service when they had DND or NS sign out. Hotel gets yelled at, even though they were following protocol. Some folk insisted they didn't, but then apologized the next day when they realized they did have the DND/NS out & didn't realize it. Also, did you ask for points instead of housekeeping? I have a friend who's a GM at a hotel & one of their big pet peeves is someone goes for the 250 points instead of housekeeping, & then complains because their room wasn't serviced & demand it anyway. Not saying that's the situation(s) w/ the OP, but could be.

FWIW - iif it's me, I'd move on. If the room wasn't serviced 2 days in a row, I'd have a problem. But if I got back late at night & it wasn't serviced, I'd just want to get to bed. I also keep in mind that I don't change my sheets or towels ever day at home which makes me more lenient on occasional screw-ups.

Cheers.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:42 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I can’t help feeling that this thread is superfluous and that the OP post is better suited for the specific property thread. These random threads over events at unnamed properties seem particularly unnecessary and unhelpful.

For our OP, perhaps it is best to complain to the specific hotel manager tomorrow (and identify the hotel). Chances are good that the housekeeping team went home around 5 pm. While it isn’t impressive, it happens that housekeeping occasionally misses a room. Even at 5 star luxury hotels.

If we cannot identify the hotel for so small a slight, the Marriott Forum is in for some trouble.
Rd3 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A lot depends on the specific hotel/location. If the property still has housekeepers on duty to do evening turn down service, there's absolutely no reason for them to refuse to service your room now, although that could be inconvenient and might not be the resolution you prefer. Large and luxury properties tend to have at least "cross-trained housekeepers" available almost 24/7, as do many airport hotels and those in locations where the airport functions close to 24/7 such as SIN.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Marriott*Plutonium Lifetime, other stuff
Thanks for all the responses - I deliberately held back the location initially since I wanted to see the generic response, not get bogged down in the specific location.

The hotel was the Marriott Victoria, with which I have a long history, and both good and bad experiences.

And no, I didn't leave a 'Do Not Disturb' sign on my door....

Last edited by Travellin_man; Dec 3, 2018 at 7:59 pm Reason: grandma / grammar
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I can’t help feeling that this thread is superfluous and that the OP post is better suited for the specific property thread. These random threads over events at unnamed properties seem particularly unnecessary and unhelpful.

If we cannot identify the hotel for so small a slight, the Marriott Forum is in for some trouble.
Hey now if it happened once at one place out of 250,000 room nights that week, it is happening everywhere all the time and they are also throwing out guests' luggage and planting irritated raccoons in the bathroom then shutting the door. Ring the alarms, I say.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Happened to me at Renaissance Chi, quite annoying after a tiring day in the office the last thing I want is to sleep in unmade bed...
It seems to be a standard reply, probably from the people in the front counter at night, not really decision makers. Next morning I spoke to the front desk manager who apologized properly.
Next stay they gave me a corner room and left cheese, wine, crackers, water and fruit for me on the room every day.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I find this happening with increasing frequency in recent years. I tend to stay in my room late in the mornings, leaving between 11 and 12, so I remove the DND at that time. It's as if when they see you're in the room in the morning, they just assume it'll be all day. I once even TOLD the housekeeper specifically when I was leaving so that she could come back, to no avail. Another time (at a crappy Baymont where I was staying over Christmas when the parents' house was full up) they canceled housekeeping service on Christmas day without informing the guests. I too, have received little sympathy when I complained (it's happened at different brands). Most recently, it happened at the Hilton Anatole in Dallas. You'd think a hotel that size would keep a housekeeper around at night, but they just said they'd send up towels (it took 2 hours and a second call to get them). And when they did "clean" the next day, the beds looked like someone had been laying on them after they were "made up." (I did get the resort fee waived for that stay after walking to the desk in person.)

It's gotten to the point that sometimes I actually call housekeeping (or the desk) and tell them, "I'm leaving now. Please make up the room."
bresnab likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.