Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Moxy Paris Bastille - France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hotel website. Opening Dec '18. Cat 4.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...aris-bastille/

"Located in the heart of Paris at the crossroads of two of the most vibrant and youngest neighbourhoods, Bastille and Le Marais, Moxy Paris is steps away from all the famous Parisian places. Paris and romance go together like café and croissant do. The city is also known for its refined food, stunning monuments and endless history and art. The Moxy Paris sits in between two of the most famous neighbourhoods Bastille and Le Marais, popular places among fun hunters, foodies and locals. The boutique hotel offers 185 design-led guest rooms with 49’’ LCD TVs and free Wi-fi. If you foster quiet, Moxy Paris’ secret garden is the perfect place to chill out. On the other hand, our lively French-spirited bar is the perfect place to get loose enjoying wine or cocktails along with the typical French gourmet snacks we offer before getting out and playing on in the buzzy city. You can count on our tremendous crew to recommend any kind of spontaneous getaway, brasserie or restaurant. You can also stroll around pop up farmer’s markets that happen all over Paris and stock up on cheese and wine and get crusty bread from the bakery for an Eiffel Tower picnic."

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jan 2, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:30 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Not a lot of modern, value options in the neighbourhood and i can’t think of any US chain hotels. I can see this being very popular - I wonder if it will be priced above the usual €80-90 for a Moxy.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:26 pm

Anybody been there after remodel?
Most of the reviews I found are before the remodel.
I have a 3 people family trip in April. Seem it is a pretty good tourism base location. Called front desk, he says every room selling now should be brand new.

Last edited by savingwizard; Jan 26, 2019 at 9:05 pm
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
I am surprised this hotel doesn't get more love. I found the Moxy experience pretty cool. The hotel is hip with many social areas spread out on the main floor. It feels it is more geared towards the younger generation. The location was super convenient. There are two metro stops (#5 & #8 ) nearby so getting to places is super easy. The reception was welcoming with an offer of a cocktail or water. The room is small but expected for Paris. I had a street facing room but the noise was minimal. The bathroom was modern and had all the amenities and good towels. The bed was comfortable and had spaces below to store bags and stuff. TV was large with lots of channels. There are no closets or safe or fridge, etc. but the room is smartly designed to maximize its space. There are convenience stores within a block to buy water and stuff. The price was really reasonably (cheaper than AirBNBs that I normally stay). This will be my go to place as long as the price remains reasonable. It is perfectly adequate for a single traveler or a couple.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Any reports on elite (Platinum) treatment? Not expecting much but for a solo traveler who likes the Marais this seems like a good option at half the points of the Renaissance Republique...
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:12 am

Just back from a one night stay at this hotel. Using that term generously.

Location is definitely a positive - basically one block from two different metro stops, so very convenient. The design feel is very nice as well.

Downsides:
The lighting - oh, the lighting. The LED lighting built into the headboard of the bed CANNOT be shut off. I confirmed this with staff, who said they get a lot of complaints about it, but it is a Marriott brand standard that permanent lighting be built into the headboard. The rooms are so small, there is no diffusion of the light - we literally rolled towels and placed them over the light strips and it was still so bright you could comfortably read a book. Completely unacceptable design - what is the point of giving me blackout drapes (which the room had) if I can't turn out the lights??

The bed - hard as a rock. Might as well sleep on the floor.

The soundproofing - we could hear street noise very easily with all windows closed (on the 5th floor) - opening the window (since there was no air conditioning and the room was sweltering), we noticed no difference in noise level than a closed window. The walls were so thin we could hear the buzz of the alerts on someone's phone in the room next to us all night.

The size - I'm used to small European rooms, but this is smaller than a cruise ship cabin (118 sq ft). There is a bar with 5 hangers for storage - no shelf, no drawer.

Don't let the pictures on Marriott's site fool you - those are not photos of the rooms in Paris. The design is different and the amenities pictured don't exist - the hotel does not have phones in room, nor alarm clocks, for example.

As a platinum, we got no upgrade at all and offered either a 7.50 voucher for food/drink or points.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
This last review is concerning, but the price and area are ok. Any more recent stays?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Stayed there a few weeks ago. Never again. Location is great, but that's about it. Hardest bed I've ever experienced. The rooms are ridiculously small. No way would 2 people be comfortable in them. I was by myself and felt claustrophobic. It's a glorified hostel.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
It is really a bad Moxy. Rooms much smaller than other moxys. I think the prices are too high even for Paris.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 12:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Worst Moxy i’ve stayed in. Here right now, don’t even know where to start.

Air-condition hardly works, can’t keep the room cool at all. Heard multiple guests complain about this.

Motel style outdoor access rooms?

Tiniest Moxy room I’ve stayed in. No room to put your suitcase down.

Terrible water pressure in the shower. Talking about the bathroom, lots of stains on the walls.

Mobile checkin does not work at all. Very inexperienced check in staff.

Location is excellent, but not worth staying here.
kaffir76 likes this.

Last edited by thomas199023; Jul 27, 2019 at 1:40 am
Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
I stayed in April and the AC was poor then. It had the sound of a diesel generator, but nothing cold came out. I complained and was told “they were aware” of the issue.

From the comments above it appears nothing has changed. With the current heatwave I’m sure it’s all the worse.

The rooms are small, even by Parisian standards.

It is by far the cheapest Marriott hotel at ~€90 a night prepaid, though.

Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by drewp123
It is by far the cheapest Marriott hotel at ~€90 a night prepaid, though.

That is not a typical rate there, unfortunately.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
I stayed here one night at EUR99. Since the rate was less than half any other Marriott property in the Paris area on the same night, I wasn't expecting much - and that's pretty much what I got.

Disorganised check-in but the staff were friendly and pleasant (not a given in France). Given the room pictured above, overlooking the courtyard. Strange layout, and the whole place felt weirdly unfinshed. I didn't find it especially small compared to eg Moxy London Heathrow or even the Courtyard Gare de Lyon down the road, but definitely inferior. The shower pressure was usless, the room was baking hot and there were unfinished fixtures and fittings. If that was the upgraded room, I dread to think what the ordinary ones were like. They've tried to put lipstick on a pig here, and it shows. The corridor to the balcony rooms was unsignposted, unlit and had electrical wires dangling from the wall. I thought it was a fire escape at first.

EUR99 is the max I would pay here.

Still prefer the Moxy brand to Aloft though.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Currently here as I type. First impression is not the same quality as Amsterdam, MXP or FRA.

and recognition at check-in was nonexistent.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.