Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Made ambassador, now what?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:32 am

My ambassador and I both agreed that people that are coming over from Starwood will start to lose their ambassador status for 2019 and she believes that by 2020 it will start to revert back to how it was previously.

All you had to do was stay 100 nights to receive Ambassador status with Starwood. So there will be a lot of Starwood customers that only stayed 100 nights that got platinum premier elite with ambassador status.

Come 2020 they will of had to do the 100 nights and 20k spend. A lot of business travelers may not reach 20k with 100 nights.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
That would be the opposite of what I might end up for 2019 .... the first 10 nights in 2019 will cost around $5k ... if the patterns continue, I will reach 20k spending at 40th night. Not even have enough nights for platinum
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Marriott15
My ambassador and I both agreed that people that are coming over from Starwood will start to lose their ambassador status for 2019 and she believes that by 2020 it will start to revert back to how it was previously.

All you had to do was stay 100 nights to receive Ambassador status with Starwood. So there will be a lot of Starwood customers that only stayed 100 nights that got platinum premier elite with ambassador status.

Come 2020 they will of had to do the 100 nights and 20k spend. A lot of business travelers may not reach 20k with 100 nights.
I disagree, It would be pretty tough to stay at SPG 100 nights and not be well over 20k. That is 200 bucks a night, and most SPG hotels are in large metros with high costs except some in Asia. I routinely spend 400-500 a night on the US west and east costs along with Europe, and those are not the top of the line properties.( ST Regis/ Ritz)
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by troyintn
I disagree, It would be pretty tough to stay at SPG 100 nights and not be well over 20k. That is 200 bucks a night, and most SPG hotels are in large metros with high costs except some in Asia. I routinely spend 400-500 a night on the US west and east costs along with Europe, and those are not the top of the line properties.( ST Regis/ Ritz)
It is easy to do 100 SPG nights (factoring in 15 nights from the CC going forward, along with some amount of award nights) and not get anywhere near $20K...easy in Asia and other OUS regions as noted. I also only stay in major US metro areas at FS brands (read: higher prices), and I somehow scrape by at $200 or so on average.

I don't understand how you can be spending $400+/night and not be primarily in StR/LC/RC-types...
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
It is easy to do 100 SPG nights (factoring in 15 nights from the CC going forward, along with some amount of award nights) and not get anywhere near $20K...easy in Asia and other OUS regions as noted. I also only stay in major US metro areas at FS brands (read: higher prices), and I somehow scrape by at $200 or so on average.
I don't understand how you can be spending $400+/night and not be primarily in StR/LC/RC-types...
Westin & Marriott SFO airport, Westin Mexico City, Westin Waltham MA, Marriott/Westin NYC ( Downtown) and I usually book a 3 - 7 days out. Heck the Marriott PHL airport was 350 a couple of weeks ago. Marriott Copenhagen last week was 450.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:42 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

$300 a night in Manhattan or European W's with a bit of room service would do the trick. I have a roughly 50-50 split between 5* and 4/3* properties and averaged around $400 a night on paid stays according to my Marriott Ambassador counter before it stopped working.

Also worthwhile noting that most people who spend their 100 nights in Asian hotels won't be based in the US so won't get the 15 nights from credit cards and probably won't be going for 10 nights on a fake event either, and with fewer credit card points they would likely do fewer award nights as well...
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by kaizen7
That would be the opposite of what I might end up for 2019 .... the first 10 nights in 2019 will cost around $5k ... if the patterns continue, I will reach 20k spending at 40th night. Not even have enough nights for platinum
i am in the same position . Spend 20k and not enough nights equals Gold - utterly useless status . Hyatt has been a great option - spend the 20k and you get top tier status .
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:48 am

Prepare to be disappointed , beggining of November I made my one night stay to reach 100nights less than 20k USD at this year on SPG-properites.
Still on my aplication I am PPE only I don't care about Ambbasador personal support but I want to know that I will have top level on next year.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:27 am

I am at 105 nights this year at 10k of spend.

Now I burn points pretty quick, so that is only about 85 paid nights.

I think I have ambassador but my account doesn’t reflect it. I think I did 10 nights or so in a Marriott. Would that cause the lack of recognition?

Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
I am at 105 nights this year at 10k of spend.

Now I burn points pretty quick, so that is only about 85 paid nights.

I think I have ambassador but my account doesn’t reflect it. I think I did 10 nights or so in a Marriott. Would that cause the lack of recognition?

For Ambassador status, you need 100+ Starwood ONLY nights or 100+ combined nights and $20,000 combined spend.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by newbiztraveler
What happens from here? Will someone reach out to me?
there is lots more info on this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ad-merged.html

Last edited by hhoope01; Dec 2, 2018 at 7:24 pm Reason: Removed attack on another poster
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For Ambassador status, you need 100+ Starwood ONLY nights or 100+ combined nights and $20,000 combined spend.

i guess we will find out. I am terrified of what the Marriott it department will do when that status hits.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i would disagree....i know about a dozen ambassador guests & none of them are in the $20k a year spend bracket....i've had ambassador service (except for about 8 months this year) since the program first started on an invitation only basis in 2011 & have never crossed $20k spend a year....

just to give you an example, over the last 2 weeks i have spent 2 nights in boston & 5 nights each in a dc suburb & in nyc....my 5 night average for near-dc was $85 a night, for nyc was $145 & for boston was $180....i have 3 nights coming up at a property in india next week where i'm spending $65 a night & 3 nights in dubai later this month where i am spending $135 a night....
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:22 am

Westin & Marriott SFO airport, Westin Mexico City, Westin Waltham MA, Marriott/Westin NYC ( Downtown) and I usually book a 3 - 7 days out. Heck the Marriott PHL airport was 350 a couple of weeks ago. Marriott Copenhagen last week was 450.
It took me close to 110 stays to get 20k

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.