FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Starwood/Marriott Data Breach 500 Million Guests affected, Marriott fined £18.4m (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1943150-starwood-marriott-data-breach-500-million-guests-affected-marriott-fined-18-4m.html)

ucfjoe Nov 30, 2018 4:32 am

Starwood/Marriott Data Breach 500 Million Guests affected, Marriott fined £18.4m

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300758155.html
Sorry mods I originally posted this in the Marriot sub form. This appears to be a big deal.We have a call center now that should be really responsive at least.
  • We have established a dedicated website (info.starwoodhotels.com) and call center to answer questions you may have about this incident. The frequently-asked questions on info.starwoodhotels.com may be supplemented from time to time. The call center is open seven days a week and is available in multiple languages. Call volume may be high, and we appreciate your patience.
  • For approximately 327 million of these guests, the information includes some combination of name, mailing address, phone number, email address, passport number, Starwood Preferred Guest ("SPG") account information, date of birth, gender, arrival and departure information, reservation date, and communication preferences. For some, the information also includes payment card numbers and payment card expiration dates, but the payment card numbers were encrypted using Advanced Encryption Standard encryption (AES-128).

Helsinki Flyer Nov 30, 2018 4:37 am

Thta´s why I do not trust outsiders, my phone or any apps to store my CC or passport information. Makes life a little easier, until it makes it so much more difficult.

PointWeasel Nov 30, 2018 4:41 am

You have to be kidding me.

info.starwoodhotels.com

I have had to replace 3 Amex cards this year due to being compromised.

Well done Marriott, keep up the good job. :mad:

Now I have to wait for the email saying I was part of the millions.

ucfjoe Nov 30, 2018 4:45 am

Only 325 Million is guest stays have their passport info compromised. Everyone should go ahead and change their passport numbers now to be safe. At least credit card data appears to be safe here.
Would love for some tech experts to opine on this but so far it sounds like someone has had a backdoor in the SPG system for a long while not sure if 2014 or if they were just able to access data back to 2014. They became aware POST integration so it would suggest that they have legacy Marriott user data as well?

jr1202sr Nov 30, 2018 4:47 am

ARNE Should resign. He has simply failed to deliver in this MERGER. Someone is going to sue the .... out of Marriott over this. Total cost to Marriott is going to be Material.

GUWonder Nov 30, 2018 4:47 am

Originally Posted by ucfjoe (Post 30483006)
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300758155.html
Sorry mods I originally posted this in the Marriot sub form. This appears to be a big deal.

It's pretty huge -- and the 8-k filing to the SEC indicates that there's a material event's issue arising from this situation. But I doubt it really makes a huge financial difference for Marriott. Unfortunately. Between insurance coverage and the corporate apologist inclination of the systems in which we are dealing in the main, I doubt Marriott loses more than even a few week's revenue over this boondoggle.

The value of all such information in the hands of questionable actors -- be they run-of-the-mill criminals, organized, international crime syndicates, or governmental actors -- is rather substantial, even if all the stored bank card data has not all been compromised.

Originally Posted by ucfjoe (Post 30483028)
Only 325 Million is guest stays have their passport info compromised. Everyone should go ahead and change their passport numbers now to be safe. At least credit card data appears to be safe here.
Would love for some tech experts to opine on this but so far it sounds like someone has had a backdoor in the SPG system for a long while not sure if 2014 or if they were just able to access data back to 2014. They became aware POST integration so it would suggest that they have legacy Marriott user data as well?

My passport information is not in most of my reservations and that info has only been loaded into the hotel systems at some places when I've checked in. There is no good customer reason for Marriott/Starwood to store passport numbers/info beyond that which is required by laws in relevant jurisdictions for relevant stays. That said, I wouldn't change a passport just because the passport number got swiped -- governments are the biggest leakers of passport numbers, so I'm sure my passports' numbers are out there where it has no good reason to be.

EuropeanPete Nov 30, 2018 4:52 am

FFS. I said just a month ago that the total lack of quality assurance made it likely that a major data breach was likely in the near future. They have singularly failed in conducting due diligence to serve and protect their customers.

Edit: Though it does appear this may have partially pre-dated the merger.

ucfjoe Nov 30, 2018 4:55 am

Credit card data is the least important IMHO. That’s the easiest to fix. Passport number not so much. Somewhat ironically, what seemed to trigger them knowing was the hackers trying to encrypt the data they were stealing. Given the length of the hack and clearly how well it was set up this doesn’t sound like just some teenager in his parents garage doing it for fun.
I was being a little funny earlier. This is a HUGE deal. As a shareholder I regret not selling a few weeks ago which I was really close to doing. Premarket stock is down over 5% as of now.

MePlatPremier Nov 30, 2018 4:57 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 30483036)
FFS. I said just a month ago that the total lack of quality assurance made it likely that a major data breach was likely in the near future. They have singularly failed in conducting due diligence to serve and protect their customers.

This data breach has been going on since 2014, so it’s not related to the merger or even the acquisition. And it does not affect Marriott’s booking platform, only SPG’s.

Oxon Flyer Nov 30, 2018 4:58 am

Some additional detail from Business Insider. My bolding.

Marriott announced on Friday that it had "taken measures to investigate and address a data security incident" that stemmed from its Starwood guest authorization database.

The company said it believes that around 500 million people's information was accessed, including an unspecified number who had their credit card details taken. It affects customers who made bookings on or before September 10, 2018.
This implies a breach in the SPG booking platform, which simply continued through the August merger.

EuropeanPete Nov 30, 2018 4:58 am

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier (Post 30483054)

This data breach has been going on since 2014, so it’s not related to the merger or even the acquisition. And it does not affect Marriott’s booking platform, only SPG’s.

Yes, as I noted 5min before you posted this. Thanks!

GUWonder Nov 30, 2018 5:06 am

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier (Post 30483054)

It's been going on during the acquisition and even after the acquisition. It's even been going on as of a couple of months ago.

If Marriott weren't so busy rushing to squeeze customers via the rushed integration related to the merger/acquisition, perhaps the company would have caught this mess sooner and the boondoggle wouldn't have been as bad as it had become.

Resonant Programmer Nov 30, 2018 5:06 am

I wonder if the post merger troubles led to this issue being identified.

stimpy Nov 30, 2018 5:06 am

Wow, what's going to happen in the EU with their strict new GDRP rules? Or as this predates that law will they get out of it?

MePlatPremier Nov 30, 2018 5:10 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 30483069)
It's been going on during the acquisition and even after the acquisition. It's even been going on as of a couple of months ago.

If Marriott weren't so busy rushing to squeeze customers via the rushed integration related to the merger/acquisition, perhaps the company would have caught this mess sooner and the boondoggle wouldn't have been as bad as it had become.

Yeah! Just like pre-acquisition SPG caught it...