Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood/Marriott Data Breach 500 Million Guests affected, Marriott fined £18.4m

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
From Starwood Lurker team :
Please visit  info.starwoodhotels.com  for more information about this incident, available resources and steps you can take.

Marriott has announced a massive breach of data belonging to 500 million guests who stayed at hotel brands including W, Sheraton, and Westin.
Marriott announced on Friday that it had "taken measures to investigate and address a data security incident" that stemmed from its Starwood guest authorization database.
The company said it believes that around 500 million people's information was accessed, including an unspecified number who had their credit card details taken. It affects customers who made bookings on or before September 10, 2018.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/marriott-data-breach-500-million-guests-affected-2018-11?r=US&IR=T
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/marriott-announces-starwood-guest-reservation-database-security-incident-300758155.html

You can enroll in the "identity" monitoring service provided by Marriott due to this breach here, it cannot be called "credit monitoring" because it doesn't provide access to viewing credit bureau report data (as held by Equifax, TransUnion, Experian) nor notifications when credit report data changes :
https://answers.kroll.com/us/index.html
Print Wikipost

Starwood/Marriott Data Breach 500 Million Guests affected, Marriott fined £18.4m

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Let the lawsuits begin

First lawsuit I have seen regarding the data cockup.

Canadians taking legal action against Marriott, Starwood after data breach
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/canadians...each-1.4213380
remymartin likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

have any of these worked in the past?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
no email as yet, and approaching 1,600 nights with both Starwood and Marriott. perhaps I am lucky?
remymartin likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:37 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
My email arrived today. It includes the immortal words Marriott began sending emails on a rolling basis on November 30, 2018 to affected guests whose email addresses are in the Starwood guest reservation database. Clearly they are in no particular hurry.
remymartin likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by 1P
My email arrived today. It includes the immortal words Marriott began sending emails on a rolling basis on November 30, 2018 to affected guests whose email addresses are in the Starwood guest reservation database. Clearly they are in no particular hurry.
Definitely a slow roll.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by tfong007
First lawsuit I have seen regarding the data cockup.

Canadians taking legal action against Marriott, Starwood after data breach
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/canadians...each-1.4213380
If you go back a couple hundred posts in this thread there was at least one other lawsuit posted. In the US of course.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond,Bonvoy Platinum,Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade,LH SEN,AZ Gold,VS Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by ucfjoe
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300758155.html
Sorry mods I originally posted this in the Marriot sub form. This appears to be a big deal.We have a call center now that should be really responsive at least.
  • We have established a dedicated website (info.starwoodhotels.com) and call center to answer questions you may have about this incident. The frequently-asked questions on info.starwoodhotels.com may be supplemented from time to time. The call center is open seven days a week and is available in multiple languages. Call volume may be high, and we appreciate your patience.
  • For approximately 327 million of these guests, the information includes some combination of name, mailing address, phone number, email address, passport number, Starwood Preferred Guest ("SPG") account information, date of birth, gender, arrival and departure information, reservation date, and communication preferences. For some, the information also includes payment card numbers and payment card expiration dates, but the payment card numbers were encrypted using Advanced Encryption Standard encryption (AES-128).
so I am a long-term and faithful SPG client, and as it happens since 2014 I have had my CC cloned twice - once I realised when I was on my way to a business trip to Japan and another when I was on holiday in Brazil (both times staying at SPG properties).

I travel a lot for business so I thought it was a particularly unlucky thing.

now I am really puzzled - but I haven't received any email yet :/
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Arrived today too... in spam... not even able to manage a clean domain and IP... pathetic.
I don't even talk about the content, it's pure amateurish words.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
any idea about class action for European customers affected?
We can can join US or canada one or something happening in Europe?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I doubt that Marriott had one, although Marriott has plenty of lawyers on hire in the EU too. Maybe Marriott has even told its area lawyers to hold back and give the lead to a quasi-PR firm, as the Marriott website indicates: https://answers.kroll.com/

Even the way the data breach is being referred to by Marriott and Kroll smacks of PR spin driving the show more than just an interest in legal/regulatory compliance and supporting customers with customer privacy problems arising from the Marriott data breach/breaches indicated in Marriott's and Kroll's announcements on the matter.

Maybe you should try to contact Kroll's public face for its North American "data breach notification practice" and ask him for his EU-area equivalent.

https://www.kroll.com/en-us/how-we-h...-data-breaches
They answered... they don't have : "we manage everything from the US". Sounds like they don't comply on this point with GDPR article 27.
The DPO proposed a phone call, will report what he wants from me )))

But I agree, they have totally forget European customers in this case.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:27 am

not even a name, they sign Marriott DPO... not even a representative in Europe.
It's really insulting and show how little they value their customers and privacy.

For those interested, here the email : [email protected]
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:49 am

While a service that has been publicly disclosed to end in one year doesn't appear to be of much value, because anyone with stolen data can simply wait until the coverage ends, I was curious about the Kroll. When I called the support number, I explained that the credit card on file and the email I used for my Marriott account had been compromised and I was concerned about the possible leak of passport info. Although I believe I was clear that I didn't know if Marriott was responsible, the rep seemed to think I should replace my passport until I asked about reimbursement. I was told that a supervisor would contact me later. To their credit, someone responded by email. Although the answers understandably appeared scripted, they were responsive. While I wasn't surprised that the company is not currently offering passport replacements, I was happy to hear an honest answer.

The identity theft insurance only covers legal fees at the rate of $125 per hour, which in the NYC area may not even cover a paralegal.

Although Marriott's website is the only one where I stored both that credit card and that email address, I am not claiming that the breach caused the disclosure of either. I am also not going to rush out any get a new passport simply because the information contained in it might have been obtained by hackers. Since so much personal information may have been released, I put a credit freeze on my Equifax, Experian and TransUnion accounts.

Last edited by rny321; Dec 12, 2018 at 1:08 pm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

indeed actual professionals suggest reputable insurance companies rather than monitoring companies

breach seems related to reservations rather than profile storage

is there a good link re freezes?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
indeed actual professionals suggest reputable insurance companies rather than monitoring companies

FTC

Credit Bureau Contacts

Contact the national credit bureaus to request fraud alerts, credit freezes (also known as security freezes), and opt outs from pre‑screened credit offers.

Equifax
Equifax.com/personal/credit-report-services
800-685-1111

Experian
Experian.com/help
888-EXPERIAN (888-397-3742)

Transunion
TransUnion.com/credit-help
888-909-8872
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

My concern was due to the amount of information, like passport details, that apparently was stored along with other reservations data. Unlike passport details, which I hope haven't been exposed previously, I assume that much of the information in my profile has been obtained illegally due to other breaches.
unclepants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.