Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood/Marriott Data Breach 500 Million Guests affected, Marriott fined £18.4m

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
From Starwood Lurker team :
Please visit  info.starwoodhotels.com  for more information about this incident, available resources and steps you can take.

Marriott has announced a massive breach of data belonging to 500 million guests who stayed at hotel brands including W, Sheraton, and Westin.
Marriott announced on Friday that it had "taken measures to investigate and address a data security incident" that stemmed from its Starwood guest authorization database.
The company said it believes that around 500 million people's information was accessed, including an unspecified number who had their credit card details taken. It affects customers who made bookings on or before September 10, 2018.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/marriott-data-breach-500-million-guests-affected-2018-11?r=US&IR=T
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/marriott-announces-starwood-guest-reservation-database-security-incident-300758155.html

You can enroll in the "identity" monitoring service provided by Marriott due to this breach here, it cannot be called "credit monitoring" because it doesn't provide access to viewing credit bureau report data (as held by Equifax, TransUnion, Experian) nor notifications when credit report data changes :
https://answers.kroll.com/us/index.html
Print Wikipost

Starwood/Marriott Data Breach 500 Million Guests affected, Marriott fined £18.4m

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Nope. Not sure where you get that from.

However, I think these facts strongly suggest (pick your words) the theft was by a state actor rather than a private criminal. If it was an economic crime, certainly Amex or Chase would have noticed that there was a pattern of fraud in their MR/SPG cards that was different than their United/Delta cards. If it was an attempt to steal SPG points, certainly there would have been a bunch of people on here who noticed the coordinated theft before it was reported anywhere else. If it was to get the random passport number (most reservations won't have that -- only certain countries require that info), we'd see some reports of that.

On the other hand, if it was a sophisticated state actor that decided to collect a lot of data of who was where and when they were there for the purpose of adding to their intelligence database, we wouldn't see any of those things.

And Marriott wouldn't dare suggest anything about the state actor for fear they would face restrictions on doing business in that country. Of course, all the indicia of a state actor are pretty obvious and there is no indicia of private criminal activity.
No, a nation state intelligence activity is no more certain than a sophisticated criminal enterprise. There are no more indicia of state involvement than there are of criminal activity. In fact there are less, since nation states tend to be better at hiding their activity.

It began in 2014 so supposedly the breach has been ongoing for four years.
They said the data dates back four years. I haven't seen them say that the exfiltration has been ongoing for four years.

Last edited by yosithezet; Dec 5, 2018 at 8:30 pm Reason: Removed personal comment in line with FT Rule 12.2
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kyanar
They said the data dates back four years. I haven't seen them say that the exfiltration has been ongoing for four years.
Good point. For all we know from the public announcements, the breach could have occurred once only, shortly before August/September of this year.

Could there be some Starwood database that gets purged at regular intervals to delete data roughly four years after a stay has been completed? I can't think what the purpose would be in that there's a statute of limitations regarding claiming points and nights/stay credit and any billing/ credit card problems would also need to be resolved long before four years have elapsed. Unlikely, but maybe some limit on filing civil lawsuits, for example if a guest has been assaulted on the property?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by kyanar
No, a nation state intelligence activity is no more certain than a sophisticated criminal enterprise. There are no more indicia of state involvement than there are of criminal activity. In fact there are less, since nation states tend to be better at hiding their activity.
The source of this has been obvious from the beginning. That being said, if you want more analysis beyond objective facts:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/06/clue...ate-china.html

"Hackers behind a massive breach at hotel group Marriott International left clues suggesting they were working for a Chinese government intelligence gathering operation, according to sources familiar with the matter. ....

Former senior FBI official Robert Anderson told Reuters that the Marriott case looked similar to hacks that the Chinese government was conducting in 2014 as part of its intelligence operations.

"Think of the depth of knowledge they could now have about travel habits or who happened to be in a certain city at the same time as another person," said Anderson, who served as FBI executive assistant director until 2015.

Michael Sussmann, a former senior Department of Justice official for its computer crimes section, said that the long duration of the campaign was an indicator that the hackers were seeking data for intelligence and not information to use in cyber crime schemes.

"One clue pointing to a government attacker is the amount of time the intruders were working quietly inside the network," he said. "Patience is a virtue for spies, but not for criminals trying to steal credit card numbers."

Aren't these the points (less reference to tools as I don't have any inside information) I've suggested made it obvious from the beginning?
kennycrudup likes this.

Last edited by yosithezet; Dec 5, 2018 at 8:31 pm Reason: Removing comment personal comment
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
The source of this has been obvious from the beginning. That being said, if you want more analysis beyond objective facts:

Obvious? Not at all. You seem determined to leap to this conclusion despite there being no concrete evidence of this. Any evidence is circumstantial at best.

"Hackers behind a massive breach at hotel group Marriott International left clues suggesting they were working for a Chinese government intelligence gathering operation, according to sources familiar with the matter. ....

Former senior FBI official Robert Anderson told Reuters that the Marriott case looked similar to hacks that the Chinese government was conducting in 2014 as part of its intelligence operations.
What are these clues they talk of? That the hackers used tools that the article even points out are in the hands of far more than any intelligence agency, and in fact have been posted online as well? That's not exactly "obvious". It's barely even anecdotal.

Michael Sussmann, a former senior Department of Justice official for its computer crimes section, said that the long duration of the campaign was an indicator that the hackers were seeking data for intelligence and not information to use in cyber crime schemes.

"One clue pointing to a government attacker is the amount of time the intruders were working quietly inside the network," he said. "Patience is a virtue for spies, but not for criminals trying to steal credit card numbers."
And again, Marriott's disclosure doesn't say whether data has been exfiltrated constantly since 2014 or data from 2014 has been exfiltrated in one go recently. Given this person is not associated with the investigation, he's privy to no more information than we are - which is pretty much nothing (pointed stare at Marriott here...)

Aren't these the points (less reference to tools as I don't have any inside information) I've suggested made it obvious from the beginning?
No. They don't.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

"Hackers behind a massive breach at hotel group Marriott International left clues suggesting they were working for a Chinese government intelligence gathering operation, according to sources familiar with the matter. ...."

Personally, I could care less if the Chinese Government knows about my travel plans.

For all I know it was the US Government posing as the Chinese Government,
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:14 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Personally, I could care less if the Chinese Government knows about my travel plans.

For all I know it was the US Government posing as the Chinese Government,
Moderate to high chance the US already had a backdoor into the reservation system, so it’s pretty unlikely it was them.

I’d say 60-40 chance of a state actor, but it doesn’t sound like anything conclusive has been released as yet.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/06/clue...ate-china.html

"Think of the depth of knowledge they could now have about travel habits or who happened to be in a certain city at the same time as another person," said Anderson, who served as FBI executive assistant director until 2015.

The above sounds like a combination of speculation and PR spin to be expected on Marriott's behalf. The above article sounds like the kind of PR spin campaigns for which Kroll, the Chertoff group and other "security" groups using the revolving door between government and the private sector (in order to sell more expensive security services) are known. And such groups tend to like to default to claiming state/state-sponsored actors being wholly or partially responsible for data breaches because it gets them more attention, more business and perhaps gets the clients better assistance from the government and even insurance companies even when state-sponsored actors may be neither wholly nor partially responsible for the data breaches.

State-sponsored hackers and other kinds of hackers aren't beyond trying to plant clues to try to distract or otherwise divert attention away from who was responsible. Whether or not that happened in this situation, who knows. But I wouldn't trust Kroll or its amen-choir "competitors" at this point on the Marriott data breach. I am more eager to see US federal cases made of this matter before I "amen" Kroll and its fellow travelers wanting to claim "state-sponsored attack".

Regardless of who perpetrated the data breach attack(s), Marriott is falling short in how it deals with customers who may have been impacted by this and Marriott deserves criticism for this situation. Unfortunately, I doubt that Marriott will do much of anything to cut back on its hoarding of customer data, and I doubt there will be much of any lesson for other travel service providers unless and until this kind of thing costs a company like Marriott several hundred million US dollars or more. Nothing in the PR statements from Marriott or from its directly hired henchmen indicate anything about being committed to cutting back on how much personal data Marriott will collect and for how long it will retain it.
remymartin and kyanar like this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 6, 2018 at 2:51 am
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:05 am
J S

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Regardless of who perpetrated the data breach attack(s), Marriott is falling short in how it deals with customers who may have been impacted by this and Marriott deserves criticism for this situation.
I strongly agree. How Marriott deals with customers is entirely Marriott's choice. That is different from the original hack in which there was an outside party attacking.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"in order to sell more expensive security services"

same as "monitoring" services getting paid a fortune to provide "free" service to customers (who then pay after it ends)

companies are investing more in security but a lot of it is provided by questionable firms

are financial institutions seeing many breaches? how much do they spend on security?

how is marriott breach different from past breaches?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:18 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Woohoo! I got my email today, only a week after the event.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Woohoo! I got my email today, only a week after the event.
Me also. signed up for the one year Web Watcher Monitoring. Let's up I don't need it!
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's unbelievably simple to know that major travel service providers ask for and keep a lot of customers' personal information. And it's unbelievably simple to know that such information is targeted by hackers -- criminals and even state-backed actors -- for a reason.

Maybe the information should be more properly protected (by the company wanting all such info) or perhaps even not kept at all by the company? The less you have, the less you have to simply protect? Isn't it that simple?
+ 1. Airlines need to know your passport is valid for travel to the given country but I can't see why they should be in the business of recording the number along with your name.

I am sick of businesses demanding, as a condition of the transaction, one's surrendering to a digital database info that is of no use (e.g. even if one is specifying Senior Rate for a rez, one needs to be prepared to supply proof of DOB at the desk, but to supply proof doesn't mean said proof needs to be kept in a database.

Convenience should be a distant second to security. Trouble is, cat is out of the bag now.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:19 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by simpleflyer
+ 1. Airlines need to know your passport is valid for travel to the given country but I can't see why they should be in the business of recording the number along with your name.
An increasing number of countries (started by the US) request advance notice of passport details from airlines, which is how this all started. This is separate to the "fit for travel" assessment which happens at the airport (e.g. do you have your passport, visa, return tickets, no dodgy visas from local rivals, etc.).
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
It's farcical. You go to Kroll to enroll, enter a randomly generated password...and get an error saying "Your password is too long." Not too short; too long.

And of course you then have to enter all sorts of personal info at Kroll.

If Starwood can be breached...if Equifax can be breached...then Kroll can be breached. @:-)
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Kroll "Your password is too long."

And of course you then have to enter all sorts of personal info at Kroll.

If Starwood can be breached...if Equifax can be breached...then Kroll can be breached.
sigh, yet not surprising

kind of like monitoring services - give us all of your information so we can monitor it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.