Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood/Marriott Data Breach 500 Million Guests affected, Marriott fined £18.4m

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
From Starwood Lurker team :
Please visit  info.starwoodhotels.com  for more information about this incident, available resources and steps you can take.

Marriott has announced a massive breach of data belonging to 500 million guests who stayed at hotel brands including W, Sheraton, and Westin.
Marriott announced on Friday that it had "taken measures to investigate and address a data security incident" that stemmed from its Starwood guest authorization database.
The company said it believes that around 500 million people's information was accessed, including an unspecified number who had their credit card details taken. It affects customers who made bookings on or before September 10, 2018.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/marriott-data-breach-500-million-guests-affected-2018-11?r=US&IR=T
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/marriott-announces-starwood-guest-reservation-database-security-incident-300758155.html

You can enroll in the "identity" monitoring service provided by Marriott due to this breach here, it cannot be called "credit monitoring" because it doesn't provide access to viewing credit bureau report data (as held by Equifax, TransUnion, Experian) nor notifications when credit report data changes :
https://answers.kroll.com/us/index.html
Print Wikipost

Starwood/Marriott Data Breach 500 Million Guests affected, Marriott fined £18.4m

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
What's the Evil Use of Passport Numbers?

Originally Posted by ucfjoe
Only 325 Million is guest stays have their passport info compromised. Everyone should go ahead and change their passport numbers now to be safe. At least credit card data appears to be safe here.
This may sound dumb, but what is the harm of my passport number being out in the hands of hackers?
In the news today, Senator Chuck Schumer says Marriott should pay everyone's fee for a new passport.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:34 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Bowgie
This may sound dumb, but what is the harm of my passport number being out in the hands of hackers?
In the news today, Senator Chuck Schumer says Marriott should pay everyone's fee for a new passport.
Just another bit of info for use in identit theft. One of many.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:18 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite

Actually, Marriott’s legal obligations to notify people of data breaches are not in T&C’s, they are in national and supranational laws which specify that notification must be immediate. Marriott T&C’s are irrelevant here. In the EU in particular this is not just some small irrelevant matter: data protection is taken very seriously and improper custodianship has massive fines attached - it works very differently than in less consumer focused regimes like in the US.

All i’m saying is that knowing Marriott I can well imagine that they might be technically incapable of fulfilling their legal obligation to many members but we know for sure they are not incapable of notifying Ambassador members and therefore them not yet meeting their legal obligation is a matter of choice rather than incompetence. The point is not about whether some guests hear before others, which is irrelevant. The point is notifying each customer in as timely manner as possible in line with legal obligations.

Last edited by yosithezet; Dec 5, 2018 at 2:48 am Reason: Deleted redacted content.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Sen. Schumer is a sort of clown, and it can be sort of dangerous when you get in between the clown and the camera being chased by the clown.

With a passport number for a named person whose birthdate is known, accessing their travel records to some countries may become much, much simpler.

For example, if I were in the TATL criminal enterprise of home break-ins aimed at the relatively wealthy Germans with vacation homes in Florida, I could pretty much figure out when to rob the German houses of such Germans and the Florida homes of such Germans subject to this data breach if I had the passport numbers of those German guests who have been staying at Marriott properties during this year or last year. And that is with me using just publicly-available data. This wouldn't work like that if using a US passport, but there are other ways to use a US passport number to engage in fraud and theft of various sorts.

With a US passport number and name of the person, it may be easy to create a fake biodata passport image with a photo substitution included and use that along with some other data to open or access accounts of one or more persons in some jurisdictions. US passport number and SSN and a little access to US credit reporting data can be more useful to a knowledgeable criminal than even many in law enforcement would realize until it hits them over the head.

With all due respect, the above claim about Marriott having no obligation to inform of a breach earlier is a questionable claim at best. Marriott doesn't operate only in one corporate-kiss-up jurisdiction. It operates in a variety of jurisdictions and is subject to the legal and regulatory authority in many, many countries which aren't just one's own.
kennycrudup and EuropeanPete like this.

Last edited by yosithezet; Dec 5, 2018 at 2:50 am Reason: Removed redacted content
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kyanar
It's not certain, or even almost certain, in the slightest. It's a possibility, just like the possibility of it being a sophisticated cybercrime group such as one of the Magecart groups, but it's no more certain than that.
Disgruntled employees -- or those expecting to soon be disgruntled employees -- of the company or of the company's contractors has been a possibility for data breaches, and the motivations for doing something like this can vary. Even without an employee/contractor being disgruntled, some such persons may have done such a thing for reasons that had nothing to do with criminal or espionage activity (if even different), but it ended up being discovered and used for such activity.

Last edited by yosithezet; Dec 5, 2018 at 2:51 am Reason: Redacted content removed
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:16 am
Suspended

So Marriott now sends emails, at least to those it may think are covered by GDPR. I guess this is Marriott's idea of informing customers within 72 hours of breach recognition.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:37 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder
So Marriott now sends emails, at least to those it may think are covered by GDPR. I guess this is Marriott's idea of informing customers within 72 hours of breach recognition.
You’ve received one?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

You’ve received one?
I haven't, but some have gotten the following: https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/12/02/...rity-incident/

My guess is that Marriott is having to pay for more billable hours from more lawyers in more jurisdictions than usual. but I won't have to guess for very long. Whatever gets confirmed, Marriott has shown to have lost the Boy Scouts' way: "be prepared".
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Actually, Marriott’s legal obligations to notify people of data breaches are not in T&C’s, they are in national and supranational laws which specify that notification must be immediate. Marriott T&C’s are irrelevant here...
Correct. And those legal obligations have nothing to do with your being an Ambassador member, which provides you with some benefits per the T&Cs, but you keep stating Marriott should have reached out to you as an Ambassador member through your Ambassador, which is not so. And it makes sense that they do not want several different channels providing information so they are not creating a special earlier communication to Ambassador members or through Ambassadors, which would create confusion.

Last edited by yosithezet; Dec 5, 2018 at 2:53 am Reason: Removed content in line with FT Rule 12.2
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Correct. And those legal obligations have nothing to do with your being an Ambassador member, which provides you with some benefits per the T&Cs, but you keep stating Marriott should have reached out to you as an Ambassador member through your Ambassador, which is not so. And it makes sense that they do not want several different channels providing information so they are not creating a special earlier communication to Ambassador members or through Ambassadors, which would create confusion.

The liability arising from a poorly-met/unfulfilled legal obligation arising from a recognized data breach may vary based upon the type of relationship a company (and its agents) has with a customer.

Last edited by yosithezet; Dec 5, 2018 at 2:53 am Reason: Removed redacted content.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:58 am

Security Nightmare

I just typed Marriott into the Chrome search field and landed on someone's search page complete with name, status and number of points. The person is not known to me, hence this is not a residual page from a previous search. Are my account details visible to others as well? Marriott's IT department has truly come off the rails.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The liability arising from a poorly-met/unfulfilled legal obligation arising from a recognized data breach may vary based upon the type of relationship a company (and its agents) has with a customer.
I would bet my law degree that any difference in obligation to different customers has absolutely nothing to do with the poster being an Ambassador member or having an Ambassador. Ambassador member benefits are contractual between the member and the company, have to do with the marketing program only and are spelled out in the T&Cs.

Last edited by yosithezet; Dec 5, 2018 at 2:54 am Reason: Removed redacted content
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CJKatl
I would bet my law degree that any difference in obligation to different customers has absolutely nothing to do with the poster being an Ambassador member or having an Ambassador. Ambassador member benefits are contractual between the member and the company, have to do with the marketing program only and are spelled out in the T&Cs.
Betting your law degree in the US isn’t a big bet, as it’s not useful to most — at least not absent a willingness to engage in identity theft using say this breached Marriott data. But maybe you will bet your fingerprints too?

I have no doubt that the jurisdictions under which a US law degree means much of anything aren’t all the jurisdictions where Marriott has liability exposure arising from this breach. I also have no doubt that there is nothing in the Marriott T&Cs applicable to Ambassador customers that caps the ability of that relationship being used to consider whether or not Marriott made all best efforts to inform the impacted customer as fast as could be done or should have been done.

EuropeanPete likes this.

Last edited by yosithezet; Dec 5, 2018 at 2:55 am Reason: Removed content in line with FT Rule 12.2
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
C'mon. Being a Marriott defender is one thing, but Marriott detected the hack 2 days after the takeover, 2 months or 2 years?

I'm sorry but Marriott is in now way ahead of the curve on anything IT-related.

As a legacy SPG Platinum w/ Ambassador, yes I am angry that this could go on for so long, but in its typical bumbling way with IT-related issues the big parent company cannot even bother to send out an email with an update to a member such as myself.
And SPG didn't find it for 2 years prior. Perhaps is was difficult to detect and they figured it out as they were going through the IT integration? Probably the first time the Marriott side really dug into the SPG reservation system since it was doing it's job up until that point. I would assume they had separate IT protocols and teams up until August. It doesn't excuse Marriott from any liability, but I'm simply trying to point out some reality here.

For what it's worth, I agree that Marriott needs to send out emails. Probably the lawyers are working on that now. It affects me personally as I've made many SPG reservations during those years, and am wondering if and how I'm affected. But any damage is done at this point so I'm not sure it matters to me if an email was sent now or a week from now. Maybe the hackers have quietly been sitting on my credit card info for years and now that the announcement is made they're going to start spending like crazy? I will say, however, for those who had passport info on reservations, that's a more serious issue, so I hope they inform and provide some type of remedy to those people quickly.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:00 am
J S

Given the total and complete mess that now passes for Marriott/Starwood's loyalty program, I am imagining the hackers currently trying to get the stay history corrected on the 327,000,000 accounts Starriott gave them access to.

Heck, let's just call this an enhancement to the mess of a program. Congratulations, now none of us have to worry about our missing stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.