Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood/Marriott Data Breach 500 Million Guests affected, Marriott fined £18.4m

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
From Starwood Lurker team :
Please visit  info.starwoodhotels.com  for more information about this incident, available resources and steps you can take.

Marriott has announced a massive breach of data belonging to 500 million guests who stayed at hotel brands including W, Sheraton, and Westin.
Marriott announced on Friday that it had "taken measures to investigate and address a data security incident" that stemmed from its Starwood guest authorization database.
The company said it believes that around 500 million people's information was accessed, including an unspecified number who had their credit card details taken. It affects customers who made bookings on or before September 10, 2018.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/marriott-data-breach-500-million-guests-affected-2018-11?r=US&IR=T
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/marriott-announces-starwood-guest-reservation-database-security-incident-300758155.html

You can enroll in the "identity" monitoring service provided by Marriott due to this breach here, it cannot be called "credit monitoring" because it doesn't provide access to viewing credit bureau report data (as held by Equifax, TransUnion, Experian) nor notifications when credit report data changes :
https://answers.kroll.com/us/index.html
Print Wikipost

Starwood/Marriott Data Breach 500 Million Guests affected, Marriott fined £18.4m

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Has anyone actually received any proactive communication from Marriott yet? (I haven't.)
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it will come out when exactly they learned about it, but the only point i saw being made at that link was that several companies mentioned tried to hide it or downplay it or whatever. clearly it is very early in the process. (hours after announcement)

"said Friday [Nov 30] it determined [Mon] Nov. 19"

technically possible they wanted to send an email sooner, but it was delayed, so they went public before

although timing may have been friday intentionally, that is common [2nd friday after nov 19]

what was timing of past emails vs public announcements ?

agree with others that the lesson was already learned (by aware consumers), the additional lesson here perhaps is to try to do whatever possible to limit information, as mentioned for example passport info in starwood reservations (was it something that hotels were doing)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 1, 2018 at 11:26 am
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by TimesTwo
I had two stays over the Thanksgiving weekend, and the first hotel had no indication of my platinum status which meant no upgrades, no welcome amenity, no breakfast. The app showed my account under audit. I called to see what was up and they told me there was an unauthorized login on my account and I had to send a copy of my ID, which I did. Called back and they said that the team that could unlock my account wouldn't be in until Monday. So the second hotel (checked in Sunday night, out Monday AM) also didn't see my status. Luckily, I'd booked a rate with breakfast (only bc it was the same price as without) so we didn't have to pay for breakfast that morning. Anyway, I'm thinking this probably had something to do with that "unauthorized access".
I feel your pain.

A global hotel group with 30 brands across 6 continents and they have the account audit team working Monday thru Friday.

They are in over their heads and then some.

I am still puzzled by the 'all the way back to 2014' statement put out by Marriott and Kroll...I am waiting for some other shoe or shoes to drop on this mess.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
For a run of the mill street criminal or ordinary civilian criminal gang there is not a whole lot of utility in just having a passport number and that passport's details when there is no photo/photocopy of the passport biodata page itself. But there is a whole lot of utility for such information in the hands of a state actor with robust document fraud capabilities or when dealing with less secure passport types where a bunch of stolen or fraudulently-acquired passport blanks have been collected by someone in the identity theft arena, whether for financial fraud, deep cover or whatever else.
the Chinese hotels (including both SPG and Marriott) scans a copy of the biometric page of passport and store it somehow. I know this because on multiple occasions I either forgot my key or entered the lounge I see my passport photo pop up and no ID required. Whether or not that is stored on the hacked system, I’m not sure, but it must be tied to some rooming system for it to pop up upon typing the room number.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:49 pm

What a mess. Time for another massive email switch.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Great. Was caught in the BA hack earlier this year and now this. Time to change my name and go live in a cave.
EuropeanPete and Twickenham like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by myperks

the Chinese hotels (including both SPG and Marriott) scans a copy of the biometric page of passport and store it somehow. I know this because on multiple occasions I either forgot my key or entered the lounge I see my passport photo pop up and no ID required. Whether or not that is stored on the hacked system, I’m not sure, but it must be tied to some rooming system for it to pop up upon typing the room number.
I am familiar with that happening in various countries, but it does beg the question of whether or not Marriott/Starwood have been too hands-off in managing its affiliated properties on how to handle such customer data after its been used for the stay itself.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Had my initial data breach incident occur. Fraudulent charge from Marriott Minneapolis. Clearly this isn't restricted to SPG. Charge was incurred last night and i haven't been in that city since 2016.
That by itself doesn’t necessarily mean the card data was lifted from Marriott/Starwood. It’s not a black swan event for card data to be stolen from one point of sale and then have it used fraudulently at another point of sale a few years after its use at what was or becomes a compromised point of sale.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
OK, it's obvious people are just trolling now.
Unfortunately there hasn‘t been much but trolling in this forum since August... Information and helpful interactions have been on the backburner since and is the new norm on this board.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Speaking of hotels scanning passports, remember this episode. Great photos.

What Happens To Passport Copies Taken At Hotels? Sometimes You May Find Them At Business Center! Case: The Park Kolkata (SPG – Design Hotels)

https://loyaltylobby.com/2017/02/27/...design-hotels/

QUOTE from the article:

"Hotel employees have access to your personal and credit card information. Combined this with more detailed information found from the IDs, passports and visas, it would not be difficult to someone engage in identity theft.

Here’s the response that I received from the Marriott spokesperson:

At Marriott, we take the matters of privacy and security of personal information very seriously. Marriott International, Inc. does not own, operate or manage the Park Hotel Kolkata. The hotel participates in the Starwood SPG program through its relationship with Design Hotels. We have been informed by Design Hotels that they are addressing this matter.
"
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
One share of common stock under most corporate by-laws is enough to vote in BOD elections, but typically salaries and perks for top executives (and BOD positions) are set by some compensation committee of the BOD. Shareholders generally don't vote directly on the CEO's salary.
The person was asking about showing up to the AGM and being able to vote or otherwise try to raise an issue as a shareholder. That only requires one share of the common stock.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Muerz
Unfortunately there hasn‘t been much but trolling in this forum since August... Information and helpful interactions have been on the backburner since and is the new norm on this board.
I find sharing to be up since 8/18 as we all navigate this black hole of Marriott customer service, or lack thereof. The company has abrogated any leadership or communication whatsoever. The Lurkers can only do so much as the transparency they brought over from Starwood has disappeared into Marriott opaqueness.

You and a few few others talking about “trolling” in this thread is the opposite of helpful. “We” didn’t create this mess.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:10 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Interesting the comments about fines - you all know who ends up paying the fine don't you? The consumers ultimately.
I realise this is a common line of argument in the US, but it’s very much a local only perspective. Everywhere else, this would be dismissed as obviously not making any sense.

Marriott and their associated hotels charge the highest rate they believe they can justify in a market. To the degree that rate is over costs, they make profit. A fine (assuming it stays below profit margin) can’t impact the consumer as prices will always be designed for an optimal price/ volume profitability level - so they will simply come out of corporate profits. I guess one could argue that the people who suffer are Marriott’s owners (often pension holders), which is fair enough.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

I realise this is a common line of argument in the US, but it’s very much a local only perspective. Everywhere else, this would be dismissed as obviously not making any sense.

Marriott and their associated hotels charge the highest rate they believe they can justify in a market. To the degree that rate is over costs, they make profit. A fine (assuming it stays below profit margin) can’t impact the consumer as prices will always be designed for an optimal price/ volume profitability level - so they will simply come out of corporate profits. I guess one could argue that the people who suffer are Marriott’s owners (often pension holders), which is fair enough.
I think that is a tad simplistic, they can find other ways to balance the bottom line, cost cuts (so less for the same price), reward scheme cuts (less for the same price), more draconian approach to upgrades (less for the same price), you get the picture.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:52 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I think that is a tad simplistic, they can find other ways to balance the bottom line, cost cuts (so less for the same price), reward scheme cuts (less for the same price), more draconian approach to upgrades (less for the same price), you get the picture.
Of course they could - but no reason why they wouldn’t do that anyways. Business decisions are not always rational, so it could well happen, but that’s still very far from claiming that corporate fines = consumers pay.
GUWonder, amanuensis and kyanar like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.