Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood/Marriott Data Breach 500 Million Guests affected, Marriott fined £18.4m

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
From Starwood Lurker team :
Please visit  info.starwoodhotels.com  for more information about this incident, available resources and steps you can take.

Marriott has announced a massive breach of data belonging to 500 million guests who stayed at hotel brands including W, Sheraton, and Westin.
Marriott announced on Friday that it had "taken measures to investigate and address a data security incident" that stemmed from its Starwood guest authorization database.
The company said it believes that around 500 million people's information was accessed, including an unspecified number who had their credit card details taken. It affects customers who made bookings on or before September 10, 2018.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/marriott-data-breach-500-million-guests-affected-2018-11?r=US&IR=T
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/marriott-announces-starwood-guest-reservation-database-security-incident-300758155.html

You can enroll in the "identity" monitoring service provided by Marriott due to this breach here, it cannot be called "credit monitoring" because it doesn't provide access to viewing credit bureau report data (as held by Equifax, TransUnion, Experian) nor notifications when credit report data changes :
https://answers.kroll.com/us/index.html
Print Wikipost

Starwood/Marriott Data Breach 500 Million Guests affected, Marriott fined £18.4m

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83

However companies need to be severely punished by the authorities for a breach, otherwise they will continue to happen. As long as a company thinks some slap on the hand regulatory fine is less than having to maintain top level up to date security these things will continue to happen......
Agree with punishment but I don't see any "punishment" really done to Target, TJMaxx, Yahoo, the IRS, previous hotel-related breaches and all those others. Equifax is still in business and still selling all of your information to third parties, some of whom may even be hacker orgs. Who knows.

Toothless fines have not made a dent because as the Target hack from Dec 2013 showed, companies - and banks - look at the odds and choose the path of least resistance: oh well, if it happens we'll spend some pennies and toss a few bones of refunds, new credit cards, credit monitoring etc, here and there.

Look at the recent hacks at BA and worse, CX. Responses from those questionably capable in-charges, Alex at BA/IAG and Rupert at CX: giant shrugs.

Did Arne at least offer a shrug?

Last edited by 24left; Nov 30, 2018 at 11:34 am Reason: spelling
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:27 am

Another garbage corporation with zero accountability. Another case of “we are sorry” and move on. Keep cashing those fat checks and keep their juicy jobs.
frenchft likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
If I remember correctly, Deloitte was responsible for the security side for Starwood before the merger occurred.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by frenchft
yes and Marriott IT, Accenture and those pedantic people didn't see anything and are living with it for the last 2 years.
What do you think? Amateurs ... irresponsible... and I hope they will be the first big UE fine for GDPR matters! Well deserved!
Marriott bought Starwood, and therefore get their liability. They should be held to account. But I boggle at folks who pretty much are saying they liked the good ol' days, when their account was breached and no one knew about it.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by frenchft
I just realised they offer this monitoring only to US / CANADA / UK members... THANKS MARRIOTT for being so insulting!
Not sure how it is on the US end, but on the Canada side, their 'monitoring' is not really 'monitoring' per se.

It's not a full on credit monitoring like Equifax/Transunion provides for $$, it's some half-baked solution that only monitors whatever information you provide to them. I think that's downright ridiculous.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Anyone can join the dedicated call center?
I have tried 3 numbers in Europe, all working but nobody answer or talk.
Pathetic, again. Marriott all the way.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
Not sure how it is on the US end, but on the Canada side, their 'monitoring' is not really 'monitoring' per se.

It's not a full on credit monitoring like Equifax/Transunion provides for $$, it's some half-baked solution that only monitors whatever information you provide to them. I think that's downright ridiculous.
Hyatt did the same when they had a CC breach, was useless.
You have to give all your personal data to I don't who . No way!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:41 am

https://www.classlawgroup.com/marrio...reach-lawsuit/
Serious guys?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Anyway, we're not responsible for unauthorized cc spend anyway. So unless true identity fraud starts taking place nothing really to be done at this point. It's not like we can change our social or passport #s .
There are ways to get a loan in your name without you knowing.
The only protection is to freeze your credit. Period.
Any “monitoring” etc is just BS, a way to have you signed up for some extra monthly payment for nothing.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:49 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
As others have pointed out, I don't possibly see how the Starwood reservation system possibly had information on 500 million unique people, I think it really must be 500 million reservations, which is still a huge number, but a significant difference from 500 million customers. Starwood only has 400,000 rooms total or so today (Source), to get that many unique customers would have been a different person occupying every single room Starwood has each night for the past five years, and as we well know, 1) not every single room is occupied every single night; and 2) many of those rooms are occupied by the same people on different nights.
phltraveler likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: AGR S+, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
I bet their IT department are filled with drinking buddies that watch Netflix all day. I have seen similar in government agencies and some fortune 500 companies.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:04 pm

This is not the first time this has happened with Starwood take a look at these FT threads:

Payment systems hacked at some SPG hotels

And this doesn't even account for the Starwood SPG account hacks either! That has its own separate thread:

My SPG Account Got Hacked
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:06 pm

Those idiots are not even able to clearly state such simple thing - people or reservations.
Trust them with your personal data!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by imverge
This is not the first time this has happened with Starwood take a look at these FT threads:

Payment systems hacked at some SPG hotels

And this doesn't even account for the Starwood SPG account hacks either! That has its own separate thread:

My SPG Account Got Hacked

Right, which is what I was referencing in my post upthread about previous hacks
imverge likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by markle
Whether it's 2% or 4% depends on whether or not it's considered either:

2%: Breach of controller or processor obligations
4%: Breach of data subjects’ rights and freedoms

In any case, "behind the scenes negotiations" is irrelevant - they have an obligation to notify. I'm not entirely clear what negotiation you'd even negotiate over... "We have a data breach, but we'll only follow our legal obligation to notify if you agree to give us a lower fine?"
Behind the scene negotiations may not have been irrelevant. Sometimes it's part and parcel of figuring out that there have been real data breaches and trying to narrow down the source/location/extent of the breach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.