Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood/Marriott Data Breach 500 Million Guests affected, Marriott fined £18.4m

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
From Starwood Lurker team :
Please visit  info.starwoodhotels.com  for more information about this incident, available resources and steps you can take.

Marriott has announced a massive breach of data belonging to 500 million guests who stayed at hotel brands including W, Sheraton, and Westin.
Marriott announced on Friday that it had "taken measures to investigate and address a data security incident" that stemmed from its Starwood guest authorization database.
The company said it believes that around 500 million people's information was accessed, including an unspecified number who had their credit card details taken. It affects customers who made bookings on or before September 10, 2018.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/marriott-data-breach-500-million-guests-affected-2018-11?r=US&IR=T
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/marriott-announces-starwood-guest-reservation-database-security-incident-300758155.html

You can enroll in the "identity" monitoring service provided by Marriott due to this breach here, it cannot be called "credit monitoring" because it doesn't provide access to viewing credit bureau report data (as held by Equifax, TransUnion, Experian) nor notifications when credit report data changes :
https://answers.kroll.com/us/index.html
Print Wikipost

Starwood/Marriott Data Breach 500 Million Guests affected, Marriott fined £18.4m

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
That's not unclear at all. Marriott says you need to show what "fraudulent activity occurred using your passport number."

You'll note that unlike previous data thefts, credit card companies haven't been swapping out credit cards. In fact, the credit card company most likely to notice fraudulent activity would be Amex since they issued the SPG Amex card and the CEO says they have not seen any evidence of fraudulent activity in credit cards.
Then why did AMEX replace my card very mysteriously? I was notified it had been compromised and a new card was being issued, when I called I was given no information about the nature of how my card was compromised, which I thought was very odd. I have three AMEX cards and the only one that was replaced was the one I used exclusively for stays at Marriott properties. Maybe one of their hotels was skimming numbers? Corporate has certainly set a wonderful example.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:16 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
The judge handling the class action just issued an order requiring Marriott to make public the investigative report that discusses how the breach happened and why it wasn't detected for several years (including, maybe, why Marriott didn't discover the breach which was ongoing during the due diligence which was done as part of the Starwood acquisition.) This is essentially a First Amendment ruling. That is, the report was filed in the court case "under seal." But the Judge has ruled that the public has the right to know what is happening in the courts, so he is removing the seal. There will still be some delay because Marriott gets to present arguments to a special master about whether certain specific technical information, which might affect security on their current operations, should be redacted (i.e. - removed from the public version).
EuropeanPete and mdbe like this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Too funny

A friend thought her passport may have been compromised, so she replaced it and submitted a claim for the cost to Marriott. On the website where she can look up the status of her claim, she found this:
8/2/2019, 11:31 AM -04:00 EDT

Dear Tracy Cxxxxxxxxxxx,

We are in receipt of your inquiry regarding whether your personal data was involved in the recent Starwood Guest Reservation Database security incident.

Based on the information you provided to us, we do not see any indication that your information was involved in the incident.

If you have additional questions or concerns, please let us know.

Thank you.

Marriott Privacy Center

Only problem is her name isn't Tracy Cxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Last edited by margarita girl; Sep 4, 2019 at 12:00 pm
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:01 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Bet someone at Marriott forgot to turn off this result page in the CDN cache. Had this happen with a hospital appointment booking page. Saw another patient’s details and the doctor they were seeing which gave away their condition. The CIO was my customer so I contacted him and they had forgotten to exclude that page from caching.

Small issue easily fixed. In the scheme of things it doesn’t seem any of Tracy’s personal info was shared other than her name. Amateur hour continues at Marriott IT.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 8:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Marriott Hotels fined £18.4m

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54748843

The UK's data privacy watchdog has fined the Marriott Hotels chain £18.4m ($24m) for a major data breach that may have affected up to 339 million guests.

The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) said names, contact information, and passport details may all have been compromised in a cyber-attack.

The breach included seven million guest records for people in the UK.

This compares to the £20m fine recently imposed on British Airways for a similar data breach.

BBC Analysis
In some ways you can feel sorry for Marriott.
In all the boardroom discussions about the company's takeover of Starwood, I bet it never realised that a hacker was already lurking inside the valuable databases they were buying.
The cyber-criminals had been in the systems for years, and were effectively thrown into the merger deal without Marriott having a clue.
Herein lies the issue, though - it seems the larger hotel didn't check what it was buying.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Oct 30, 2020 at 8:27 am
Old Oct 30, 2020, 11:52 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
There was a major development in litigation related to the breach a couple of days ago. It talked about how Accenture might have a direct "duty of care" to the customers because they were responsible for managing the guest reservation database at Starwood. According to the story (there was a 50-page order by the judge that I haven't yet read) it included 5 million unencrypted passport numbers, 9 million credit/debit cards, and was ongoing for at least 4 years without detection. The judge said: "If a defendant —like Accenture — is aware of a determinant class of potential claimants, whose interests as a group it contractually undertook to protect through the exercise of reasonable care, it can hardly complain when, as a result of its alleged failure to live up to its promise, a member of that class sues them," the judge wrote.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.