Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Data Breach [from Starwood database] : 500 Million Guests affected

Marriott Data Breach [from Starwood database] : 500 Million Guests affected

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 4, 19, 10:42 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MasterGeek
Wiki Link
From Starwood Lurker team :
Please visit  info.starwoodhotels.com  for more information about this incident, available resources and steps you can take.

Marriott has announced a massive breach of data belonging to 500 million guests who stayed at hotel brands including W, Sheraton, and Westin.
Marriott announced on Friday that it had "taken measures to investigate and address a data security incident" that stemmed from its Starwood guest authorization database.
The company said it believes that around 500 million people's information was accessed, including an unspecified number who had their credit card details taken. It affects customers who made bookings on or before September 10, 2018.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/marrio...8-11?r=US&IR=T
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300758155.html

You can enroll in the "identity" monitoring service provided by Marriott due to this breach here, it cannot be called "credit monitoring" because it doesn't provide access to viewing credit bureau report data (as held by Equifax, TransUnion, Experian) nor notifications when credit report data changes :
https://answers.kroll.com/us/index.html
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 23, 19, 5:56 am

Oh no! I'm usually very cautious - should I be worried? Ugh. I guess not much I can do at this point.

If this was not legit any quick tips from the IT experts out there. I feel sick right now

Last edited by Bravada04; Apr 23, 19 at 6:30 am
Old Apr 23, 19, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Plat
Change your password and check stuff regularly.
Old Apr 24, 19, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Bravada04 View Post
I received an email today from "Marriott Privacy"..........it asks me to open the request. I do that and then it says my link has expired (albeit I just received the email today?).

It asks me to type in my email address and they will send me a new access token?

I have no idea what this is or if I want to enter my email address?

Update: I did get a new link and was able to access the webpage. The webpage is BLANK! I would sure like to know if the information they are sending me is important? What gong show! Just have to laugh.
Mine worked the same way.

I don't see what a phisher would get out of having you re-enter the email address that they sent the email to, except to know that someone reads emails at that address.

I just chalked it up to more Marriott incompetence.
Old Apr 24, 19, 7:05 pm

That is good to know...........that it in fact might just be a Marriott IT issue?...and hopefully nothing to worry about!