Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Data Breach [from Starwood database] : 500 Million Guests affected

Marriott Data Breach [from Starwood database] : 500 Million Guests affected

    Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 4, 19, 10:42 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: MasterGeek
Wiki Link
From Starwood Lurker team :
Please visit  info.starwoodhotels.com  for more information about this incident, available resources and steps you can take.

Marriott has announced a massive breach of data belonging to 500 million guests who stayed at hotel brands including W, Sheraton, and Westin.
Marriott announced on Friday that it had "taken measures to investigate and address a data security incident" that stemmed from its Starwood guest authorization database.
The company said it believes that around 500 million people's information was accessed, including an unspecified number who had their credit card details taken. It affects customers who made bookings on or before September 10, 2018.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/marrio...8-11?r=US&IR=T
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300758155.html

You can enroll in the "identity" monitoring service provided by Marriott due to this breach here, it cannot be called "credit monitoring" because it doesn't provide access to viewing credit bureau report data (as held by Equifax, TransUnion, Experian) nor notifications when credit report data changes :
https://answers.kroll.com/us/index.html
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Apr 4, 19, 10:44 pm
  #526  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Posts: 1,669
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd View Post

Staying at a hotel should not be the basis of losing your privacy to hackers.
Having your credit in Experian shouldn't be the basis of losing your privacy to hackers
Flying a domestic or international flight on UA shouldn't be the basis of losing your privacy to hackers
Using your credit card at Target shouldn't be the basis of losing your privacy to hackers.
Working on a US government contract shouldn't be the basis of losing your privacy to hackers (referencing OPM breach)

Hopefully you're getting the hint now.

Unfortunately, it's the world we live in. It happened to most/all of us.

Yes, Marriott could grant you your status, but it's slim if not just wishful thinking. They have absolutely no reason to. They're inherently, first and foremost, a business.
JBord likes this.
laxmillenial is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 19, 11:05 pm
  #527  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,329
Originally Posted by Jaunts View Post

snip

There were millions of people affected by the data breach at SPG. Marriott is not going to give all of those people platinum status. If Marriott did, FT would explode!
That is true. However, those millions most likely did not have Platinum status when they got demoted.

What is in it for Marriott to do this? Goodwill and a return of a lot of members who were demoted and left Marriott.
dgcpaphd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 19, 11:08 pm
  #528  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 66,140
Ok, color me confused. You're upset about MAR (well, SPG actually since SPG was the actual data breach) data breach & do the never stay at them again blah,blah, but if they give you Plat again you're ok w/ the data breach & will take it & then stay w/ MAR again?

So you're pissed off about the (potential) data breach, but are ok w/ it if they're willing to bribe you back w/ Plat status even though you haven't earned it. Do I have it right? Again, confused.

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 19, 11:17 pm
  #529  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,329
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post

Ok, color me confused. You're upset about MAR (well, SPG actually since SPG was the actual data breach) data breach & do the never stay at them again blah,blah, but if they give you Plat again you're ok w/ the data breach & will take it & then stay w/ MAR again?

So you're pissed off about the (potential) data breach, but are ok w/ it if they're willing to bribe you back w/ Plat status even though you haven't earned it. Do I have it right? Again, confused.

Cheers.
Color me confused also.

(1) I never said I was upset. I merely asked a question and offered an explanation for why I asked.

(2) "pissed off" - where did that come from?

(3) Color me confused, too.

(4) Do you have it right? Obviously not!

(5) You are funny! And thank you for your humorous response.
dgcpaphd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 19, 11:29 pm
  #530  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 66,140
Well, let's answer the last question in your OP. Yes, you're wishing too much to have Plat status renewed because you didn't stay enough to earn it simply because of a data breach from years ago that you may or may not have been affected by. I received the same email. Given it was an SPG issue from years ago I didn't pay much attention to it & continued my stays w/ MAR.

You chose not to. That's absolutely your choice & I will back you up 100% on that & your decision to book elsewhere. Walk your talk. However, because you chose to do that, I don't think you're entitled to Platinum status because of the data breach. You can give MAR a call & ask them as a 'one-time gesture' to grant you Plat status due to the data breach, but they may or may not do it.

I received the same email as you & did not change my passport or DL or change my CC. Given the data breach was (going from memory here SPG 2014) I figured if I was screwed on ID/Passport, it would have happened before MAR mentioning it last year. That's definitely a to each their own. If you chose to renew or change everything, again good for you & walking your talk, but if not also understand.
Twickenham and nequine like this.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 19, 11:58 pm
  #531  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 24,593
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd View Post
Am I wishing for too much?
Yes.
nequine likes this.
CPRich is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 19, 12:54 am
  #532  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Posts: 1,662
Far to much and also appearing opportunistic I have to say.

I am curious you say due to the data breach you stopped staying and as such lost your Platinum status. What has changed since then to make you wish to start staying again and trust Marriott? It's not like Marriott IT over the last 6 months has built confidence so why do you now feel your data will be safe with Marriott whereas when the data breach was announced you did not?
UKTraveller4Fun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 19, 2:29 am
  #533  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Tokyo
Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Plat
Posts: 94
Excise me. Do you NOT know who he is ! A Plat, They are so rare I think MAR will go crazy to get him back !! only another 50m or so .

In other words yes, you have no right to get Plat as you have no earned it ! As LTTE , they less Plats the better for us !
BRITINJAPAN4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 19, 4:06 am
  #534  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto vicinity
Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, AA EXP, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Posts: 11,812
Marriott Data Breach [from Starwood database] : 500 Million Guests affected

I found post #463 and 488 to be very interesting and very possible given the state of Marriott IT.

Welcome back, and I think you should earn your status like everyone else.
margarita girl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 19, 4:40 am
  #535  
formerly AtomicLush
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: ORD (formerly SAN)
Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA Platinum Pro (DH = EXP), Delta Gold
Posts: 1,566
Wow, people are jaded on this forum. Breach of your privacy should not be the norm. There are data privacy laws that specifically try to prevent these from being the norm. In any case, OP - your best bet for compensation would be joining the class action (which will net customers next to nothing, but the lawyers in millions) or opt of the class action and suing individually. There are too many people affected by the breach (me being one of them) for Marriott to handle one by one.
TravelLawyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 19, 5:10 am
  #536  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto vicinity
Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, AA EXP, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Posts: 11,812
Originally Posted by AtomicLush View Post
Wow, people are jaded on this forum. Breach of your privacy should not be the norm. There are data privacy laws that specifically try to prevent these from being the norm. In any case, OP - your best bet for compensation would be joining the class action (which will net customers next to nothing, but the lawyers in millions) or opt of the class action and suing individually. There are too many people affected by the breach (me being one of them) for Marriott to handle one by one.
But was there a breach or just more Marriott IT incompetence?

Originally Posted by NdaNo View Post
OK, here's the deal. There never was a data breach. The file they "found" was created as part of the due diligence process when Marriott and others were evaluating Starwood for acquisition. Ask yourself what hacker capable of penetrating deep into a secure data center and gaining total access to the database would then extract a copy of the data, encrypt it and then leave it there? No hacker ever. Because there has been no evidence that any of this data has ever been found outside of Starwood/Marriott, they had to invent the story that it was the Chinese and state sponsored spying. Really? The file was stored on the most secure system available to Starwood primarily because Marriott had the habit of asking for the same data over and over. So instead of going through the extract process multiple times, the original file was resent. Since all of the former IT staff had either left or been released when the file was discovered, there was no one around to tell them why it was there and they simply assumed the worst.
margarita girl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 19, 5:44 am
  #537  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,303
Does anyone know why you would bother to get a new passport? What is someone going to do with that? Immigrate?

As for the rest of the OPs demands, he/she can try. Who cares? I doubt they will meet his/her request because the issue and the 'remediation' aren't at all related LOL!

(Yeah I like the excuse of "I quit staying due to your breach, but now I want you to love me again")
Orange County Commuter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 19, 5:55 am
  #538  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,781
I think the OP has forgotten that the CEO considers us to be "noise around the edges" that can be ignored.
craigthemif is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 19, 5:56 am
  #539  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: EZ Pass, Starbucks Gold, Red Cross blood donor
Posts: 4,728
Add me to the list that says you're asking too much. However...
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd View Post
In view of the fact that I was Platinum through February of this year, does anyone know if I can get my Platinum restored for the remainder of this year which will allow me to earn the status for 2120?
They might say, sure, we'll give you Platinum status in 2120.
bitburgr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 19, 6:35 am
  #540  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: DAY
Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Posts: 1,205
Originally Posted by Jaunts View Post
There were millions of people affected by the data breach at SPG. Marriott is not going to give all of those people platinum status. If Marriott did, FT would explode!
You never know. AA decided to make me and many others elite just for the hell of it. You are right about FT though.
Cledaybuck is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread