Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

High value SPG members: Marriott screwing us on LTPP because they can't do IT

High value SPG members: Marriott screwing us on LTPP because they can't do IT

Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:17 am

THis issue changes my behavior. I did 75 - 100 nights a year for 6 years.

No more. Now I will split my stays with Hyatt. Why give Starwood anything more than they will give me?

this is one of the dumbest things Marriott did in the large list of dumb things during this merger.
cozysuite likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by Segments

The assumption is that the OP is a lucrative member. Based purely on their self assessment.

If if they truly are that lucrative from Marriott’s perspective then I’m confident the member will be well taken care by Marriott. Their history of soft landings and the old PP invite only level for the top guests suggests they clearly have a team and process dedicated to making profitable members feel valued.
about half of my stays are in london (and I do 100+ nights a year). I think I'm getting a screaming good deal when I book a room at one of my preferred properties for Ł220 a night. I just made a week and a half long booking at Ł375 a night. I try to keep things not much over Ł400 if I can. That is anywhere from $286 / night at the cheapest rate and the best exchange rate to $720 / night at the top end, with less favorable exchange rates seen in recent times. So I could cross the new spend threshold before even qualifying for platinum.

you want me to *assume* marriot will take care of me, yet they are locking me out of ltpp. I dont care about soft landings. I care about the next 40 years (I hope! ) of pp status even if I'm not traveling 75+ nights a year anymore - you know, what I should have earned after many years of loyalty more than just 1 or 2 million points earned and literally over 2 years worth of nights stayed butts in bed.

someone in another thread asked if marriot would give them platinum if a few night error in their year to day night count would make them cross the threshold for 50 nights after they did a mattress run to get the last mile in. I told them that in my experience with spg, if you have a good story, and can show good faith, they will probably give you the status as goodwill even if the nights get clawed back. Other posters with marriot experience said there is no way this would happen. That doesnt give me a lot of faith that marriot will take care of me, especially once I'm no longer spending 1/3rd of the year in their beds...
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:03 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by stant
about half of my stays are in london (and I do 100+ nights a year). I think I'm getting a screaming good deal when I book a room at one of my preferred properties for Ł220 a night. I just made a week and a half long booking at Ł375 a night. I try to keep things not much over Ł400 if I can. That is anywhere from $286 / night at the cheapest rate and the best exchange rate to $720 / night at the top end, with less favorable exchange rates seen in recent times. So I could cross the new spend threshold before even qualifying for platinum.

you want me to *assume* marriot will take care of me, yet they are locking me out of ltpp. I dont care about soft landings. I care about the next 40 years (I hope! ) of pp status even if I'm not traveling 75+ nights a year anymore - you know, what I should have earned after many years of loyalty more than just 1 or 2 million points earned and literally over 2 years worth of nights stayed butts in bed.

someone in another thread asked if marriot would give them platinum if a few night error in their year to day night count would make them cross the threshold for 50 nights after they did a mattress run to get the last mile in. I told them that in my experience with spg, if you have a good story, and can show good faith, they will probably give you the status as goodwill even if the nights get clawed back. Other posters with marriot experience said there is no way this would happen. That doesnt give me a lot of faith that marriot will take care of me, especially once I'm no longer spending 1/3rd of the year in their beds...
If you’re so sore that you won’t qualify for Lifetime Plat Premier/Titanium, then it seems odd that you should be continuing to lament that loss here. Either you’re sore and won’t continue future stays with Marriott in return, or you’re not so sore and will continue staying with Marriott, regardless.

Thou doth protest too much, me’thinks. Commenting here isn’t going to change your status or Marriott’s future approach.

If you want Marriott to reward you with LTPP status for the next 40 years even as you won’t stay 75 nights each year, then I’d say Marriott made the right bet. If you do stay 75 nights each year, you’ll have earned PP status anyway.

Seems to me that Marriott’s choice in this matter was a prudent one.
rny321 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Whatever MR did or SPG did before isn't necessarily what the company does now. At this point it's not MR or SPG, it's just MPG or whatever the combined program is going to be called.

Marriott did things in the past that might have helped you "if" the practice continued. First, it considered the last three years nights stayed and if the total met a certain threshold, your status continued. For what was Platinum, one needed to average more than 50 nights per year but far less than 75 nights. If the old MR program still existed, I would have enough nights in 2018 alone to qualify for what was Platinum for three years and Gold with a soft landing the following year. I also believe that there was some flexibility when a current Platinum member missed re-qualifying by a small number of nights. but I agree that someone attempting to qualify for the first time probably wouldn't receive the same consideration.

Hopefully, you will find a program that meets your needs.

Last edited by rny321; Dec 2, 2018 at 8:12 pm
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I think any SPG member has to take a step back and remember who got sold and who got acquired. I thought it was generous they allowed you to combine your MR account with SPG which bumped up a lot of people. They didn't have to do that.
Generous? Us SPG members got screwed. You must be a Marriott dweb - you lucked out.

I'm in the same boat. 7 years with SPG and 800+ nights and LOTS of spend annually (more than $25K each year for the past 6). And nothing.

I'll keep with the Marriott/SPG program, but it sucks.
cozysuite likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MGJ2727
Generous? Us SPG members got screwed. You must be a Marriott dweb - you lucked out.

I'm in the same boat. 7 years with SPG and 800+ nights and LOTS of spend annually (more than $25K each year for the past 6). And nothing.

You didn't earn LTP with SPG, so why would you expect to be given a higher lifetime status in the new combined program?
freeflyin, myperks and rny321 like this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:36 pm

Not high value SPG member

Merely 600+ nights with 10+ years of SPG Platinum with 4,000,000+ pts (don't know accumulated pts) current PP+A, I will never been considered as a high-valued client... I need to admit as I'm not legacy Marriott's frequent guest and now need to leave the new program as possible. I would utilise the remained benefit but only for economical reason without loyalty anymore It is so sad but nothing to do from ours.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:46 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I think any SPG member has to take a step back and remember who got sold and who got acquired. I thought it was generous they allowed you to combine your MR account with SPG which bumped up a lot of people. They didn't have to do that.
Agreed. Though they did have to do that to some degree. Still, Marriott bought Starwood, indeed.
​​​
Originally Posted by MGJ2727

I’m no Marriott “dweeb” and yet I must disagree with you and agree more with @HNLbasedFlyer in this instance. I’ve been SPG Plat100 Ambassador level for going on 7 years now. So I think that makes me a certifiable SPG “dweeb” in your own parlance.

I think Marriott has been most generous with SPG Plats, even though Marriott bought Starwood. Of course, I know SPG and its elites were a part of the equation for Marriott, and still I think Marriott has treated us quite well (aside from the IT fiascoes that mess with everyone). Even after Marriott originally wasn’t going to let SPG Lifetime Plats qualify for the new Lifetime Plat Premier status, Marriott heard the SPG Plat outcry and allowed any SPG Lifetime Plats as well as any Marriott Lifetime Plats, including any who can qualify for either by the end of this calendar year, to therefore qualify for the new Marriott Lifetime Plat Premier status. I don’t know how anyone can think Marriott is treating anyone unfairlly—though I do think it was ill concieved to create that Lifetime status in the first place.

I think many have sour grapes only because this is the only year one can still qualify for Lifetime Plat Premier. I thunk that’s a poor choice by Marriott, but I don’t think it’s unfair to anyone, especially since Marriott is quite generously counting years in both programs towards the new Lifetime status.

I also don’t think anyone is a dweeb aside from my husband. And I love that dweeb a lot!
freeflyin likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin

If you’re so sore that you won’t qualify for Lifetime Plat Premier/Titanium, then it seems odd that you should be continuing to lament that loss here. Either you’re sore and won’t continue future stays with Marriott in return, or you’re not so sore and will continue staying with Marriott, regardless.

Thou doth protest too much, me’thinks. Commenting here isn’t going to change your status or Marriott’s future approach.

If you want Marriott to reward you with LTPP status for the next 40 years even as you won’t stay 75 nights each year, then I’d say Marriott made the right bet. If you do stay 75 nights each year, you’ll have earned PP status anyway.

Seems to me that Marriott’s choice in this matter was a prudent one.
At this time, since I'm close, once i qualify for ltpp I likely will shift my stays away from marriot, so I'll suck it up for now.

tons of people complained about SPG members not getting a crack at ltpp - and marriot changed their policy. where should i make my voice heard to maybe change things? I have complained about an issue here in the past and a champion saw fit to make an exception to make me happy. complaining here CAN and WILL do things.

a bet that inspires members to look elsewhere? that doesnt sound like a winning bet to me.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:01 pm

the #1 reason why marriot bought SPG was the large base of fiercely loyal customers.
would you spend $13 billion bucks on something and then toss the purchase away? marriot was generous. The new combined program is better than what they gave to marriot members before the merger. they had to do that to protect their investment.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:38 pm

When Marriott bought Starwood, it placed a Starwood exec in charge of the Loyalty department. Although there are some differences, the new program resembles the Starwood program. Even under the initial iteration, nobody had either annual or lifetime status taken away and some like SPG Golds were matched to a better annual status than they had at Starwood. At the same time the company didn't feel compelled to offer certain new benefits, like SNA's or Ambassadors to MR Platinum Premieres. Since MR had a 750 night tier, it would have been difficult to match them to the same level as the company's 500 night and lower points tier. Because SPG's highest status level required 500 nights, the initial offer was to match SPG LTP to the same level as the MR members with 500 LT nights. Although anyone joining SPG knew there was no 750 night tier, it was a good business decision to extend to former SPG members the opportunity to achieve LTPP before the window closed.

Those of you who will not become SPG or MR LTP, which is equivalent to the prior top SPG LT level, by the end of the year can still do so. Since executives from both the Marriott and Starwood side should know which of their customers are truly high value, as opposed to those who simply think that they are, my guess is that some exceptions will be made for those individuals who merit one. Although I believe the most likely exceptions will be at the annual level, maybe one of you could come up with a proposal that would give the company an incentive to grant you LTPP. Perhaps those who were close to qualifying, could achieve LTPP after several years at the Ambassador level.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by rny321; Dec 3, 2018 at 3:39 pm
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:41 pm

So I'll have more nights and more spend than (at least some - maybe many) LTPPs even more total years of loyalty, i just wont ever be able to qualify. makes perfect sense.
As a spg gold lifetime member who doesn't have enough years as platinum, but with far more than enough points to qualify if Marriott was looking at spend - what gets me is that Marriott right now is offering ltpp. But only for this first year. Why? Why offer a lifetime perk to a member that may have spent less than me, may have stayed less nights, and then don't give me the opportunity to earn that status myself. I wouldn't complain if they upped the qualifications for ltpp, but to shut me out from earning it is a slap in the face.
I WILL meet the criteria of the program that was opened up in the spirit of 'fairness' then arbitrarily closed for additional admission after a single year cut off time. And remember, I COULD have qualified this year, like the OP, if marriot used the same guidelines as they had for marriot members in terms of nights and points.

So yeah, I dont get it, I didnt meet the rules, so i dont qualify - i just dont understand that. because thats exactly what I and the OP mean. *sarcasm* We arent at all frustrated by the fact that the rules werent written in a way that gave spg members the same opportunities that marriot members had *more sarcasm* because it's not like a bunch of people on the spg side didnt raise holy hell about not getting ANY crack at LTPP, and got marriot to reconsider on the matter. *enough sarcasm* it just so happens that me and the OP are a much smaller pool of members who are getting stiffed by the rules.
At this time, since I'm close, once i qualify for ltpp I likely will shift my stays away from marriot, so I'll suck it up for now.
I might be misreading your earlier posts, but I was under the impression that your complaint was that you would never be able to earn LTPP. Your last post makes it appear that you have always been able to qualify for LTPP but are still unhappy.

I hadn't tried to use the multi-quote function before, so I thought I would give it a shot. I deleted some of your text to make it easier to follow, which I hope doesn't change the meaning on any of the above posts.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:41 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
THis issue changes my behavior. I did 75 - 100 nights a year for 6 years.

No more. Now I will split my stays with Hyatt. Why give Starwood anything more than they will give me?

this is one of the dumbest things Marriott did in the large list of dumb things during this merger.
When people including myself chose SPG in the 2000s, no one knows SPG would merge with Marriott. So decisions are based on what info was available at that time. Some SPG members may have split their stays or concentrate everything with SPG.

There are always those the lucked out - if they split their bets between SPG and Marriott 5-8 years ago, suddenly they found their years counted double. On the opposite side are those that are unlucky, like those who would have gotten Lifetime status had they concentrated on SPG but they split their stay between SPG and the wrong chain like Hilton (or Intercontinental or other chains). These external factors we can't control and it's just part of life I think.

As for that Lifetime Platinum Premier, Marriott might just pull a AMEX and years from now would just open the Platinum Premier tier to everyone that passes a certain threshold. As the program design right now, the Ambassador Tier needs annual qualification and there is no lifetime status for that tier.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by yeunganson
When people including myself chose SPG in the 2000s, no one knows SPG would merge with Marriott. So decisions are based on what info was available at that time. Some SPG members may have split their stays or concentrate everything with SPG.
I don't remember when Starwood added a lifetime status option, but it may not have even been a possibility when you began staying there.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by KneesCrushed
If you’re a high value SPG member who has 750+ lifetime nights, but not 10 combined years of Platinum status, you’re about to get screwed out of Lifetime Platinum Premier status. And the reason why is that Marriott can’t figure out how to pull the data from SPG’s IT systems.

While Marriott will give Lifetime Platinum Premier status to legacy Marriott members who have achieved 750+ lifetime nights and 2 million points, they are not offering the same opportunity to high value SPG members. This is because, as I just learned after complaining about this, they can’t figure out how to determine the number of points earned for legacy SPG customers.
Even if you had 750 nights and 2MM unconverted MR only points, unless those 750 nights were solely MR nights, it isn't definite that you would become LTPP. After the option to combine nights and years of status for LTPP was added in May, I requested that combined nights and uncombined MR points be allowed as well. I believe it was on June 20, that Lurker William acknowledged that 750 MR+SPG nights and 2MM MR points qualify. Many on FT have objected to allowing this and several have disputed that Williams words mean what he says they do. Not that long ago, one blogger told me that management has said that combined nights won't count unless accompanied by 10 years of status.

As I said before, I have 2MM+ MR only points, 2MM+ SPG only points and 750+ MR+SPG nights and I still don't know what my final LT status will be. If the option to qualify had been extended until next year, I might also have achieved 10 years of Platinum status and 750 MR only nights. Unlike some who are complaining, I respectfully petitioned for an accommodation that was similar to what was already granted and didn't threaten to leave. Hopefully, sometime in January my status will change from LTP to LTPP.

Last edited by rny321; Dec 4, 2018 at 9:19 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.