Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

High value SPG members: Marriott screwing us on LTPP because they can't do IT

High value SPG members: Marriott screwing us on LTPP because they can't do IT

Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by sdsearch
1. Marriott always tracked lifetime points, SPG never did. So as other have said above, it's not Marriott's fault that they can't offer 750+ nights plus 2 million lifetime points to SPG members.

2. The whole reason they required 2 million lifetime points is because it was not easy to achieve. Many people got to 750+ lifetime nights without getting anywhere close to 2 million lifetime points. They started panicing earlier this year and cooking up every possible way to get to 2 million points in a hurry, which resulted in this thread:
So are you sure you would really have been at 2 million lifetime Starpoints or more at this point? How could you know, without SPG ever showing that to you (that I'm aware of), unless you had 2 million actual (not lifetime) points as of this moment? And, in any case, what should they have counted 2 milllion lifetime Startpoints or some other number, given the Starpoints were completely differently valued than all other hotel points? You may think that it should have been 2 million divided by 3 perhaps, but that might be over-generously low. I found that at SPG I earned way more points by doing one-nights stays as a SPG Plat than any other way, because the Plat check-in bonus was so huge (500 Starpoints, the equivalent of 1500 of today's points), while the earnings on inexpensive hotel rates (the only kind I book, because no one reimburses me) were puny by comparison at 2 or 3 Starpoints per dollar. So someone who was SPG Plat and stayed only one-night stays (especially at relatively inexpensive hotels) earned a lot more points per night than someone who stayed multiple nights and/or wasn't SPG Plat (at least at similarly-inexpensive hotels).

Anyway, it's just a theoretical discussion at this point, because SPG never kept track of lifetime points, and thus had no such information to transfer to Marriott.

And, that, in turn, explain also why the way to qualify for lifetime status using lifetime points is ending, because they could continue using it once SPG members were folded in fully. So it's just the several months "limbo" because Aug 18 and Dec 31 where things are "colliding".
I agree on points 1 and 2.

Because of the Starwood Amex card, which I found attractive for everyday spending, I had well over 2MM SPG points just from the credit cards. Although I had Marriott cards as well, I rarely used them because the value of a MR point was so low.

Although it was possible to earn one elite night per $3,000 spent, I would rather earn 1.5 Ultimate Rewards or 1.5 Membership Rewards which I value at 2.25 cents (1.5*1.5) than 1 MR point which I value at 0.75 cents per dollar. At those rates, it would cost $45 ($3,000 * (0.0225 - 0,75) per elite night credit which seemed excessive.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by KneesCrushed
Here’s an example: who is a more valuable customer?
* A 65-year-old executive with 800 nights and 12 years of status
* A 35-year-old salesman with 950 nights and 8 years of status
Neither one. The most valuable customer is based on $$$ spent, not nights, and only for the immediate past, not years gone by. What you've done in the past really has no value.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

interesting >
Originally Posted by starwood
top 2 percent generated 30 percent of our organization’s profits

B2B accounts for nearly 70 percent of Starwood's overall room revenue
top 1 percent in accounts drives 40 percent of Starwood's B2B revenue
[1% of B2B (less than 1% total) is 28% of room revenue]
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by margarita girl
2) William has always told us that SPG had no way of tracking points earned, so can’t really blame Marriott for that.
This isn't exactly true (but I understand why he's saying it)...SPG has all the data, many of us have our Master Ledger or whatever it's called, I quite easily was able to add up my 9 years of Starwood stays, came out to 2MM points give or take (which would convert to 6MM with Marriott).

They could even do the 50% retrospective penalty on points at Element if they wanted to match the Marriott LS offerings (though that's a drop in the bucket given limited number of properties and years of existence).

BTW, this is exactly what UA did with its data to gross up BIS to EQM to match CO...even for the craptastic Marriott IT, it wouldn't be that hard.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CJKatl
For a Marriott year to count you need to have earned or been awarded 50+ status from Marriott activity. Status matched years from SPG do not count or each of the years since accounts could be linked would automatically count as two years.
Not true at all - I have earned 3 legacy Gold years (now new Plat) from Marriott just due to the RewardsPlus partnership with UA. Those shouldn't count of course, but not surprising given Marriott's terrible IT.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:23 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Neither one. The most valuable customer is based on $$$ spent, not nights, and only for the immediate past, not years gone by. What you've done in the past really has no value.
More conventionally, the most valuable customer is the one who will spend most in the future, not the past

If we’re talking business logic here, it’s important to note that lifetime status is not actually about “recognition” once someone has spend a certain number of nights, it’s about incentivising those who have not yet done so.
MSPeconomist and rny321 like this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
As a spg gold lifetime member who doesn't have enough years as platinum, but with far more than enough points to qualify if Marriott was looking at spend - what gets me is that Marriott right now is offering ltpp. But only for this first year. Why? Why offer a lifetime perk to a member that may have spent less than me, may have stayed less nights, and then don't give me the opportunity to earn that status myself. I wouldn't complain if they upped the qualifications for ltpp, but to shut me out from earning it is a slap in the face.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by stant
As a spg gold lifetime member who doesn't have enough years as platinum, but with far more than enough points to qualify if Marriott was looking at spend - what gets me is that Marriott right now is offering ltpp. But only for this first year. Why? Why offer a lifetime perk to a member that may have spent less than me, may have stayed less nights, and then don't give me the opportunity to earn that status myself. I wouldn't complain if they upped the qualifications for ltpp, but to shut me out from earning it is a slap in the face.
This is why I'm sympathetic to OP. I switched from Hilton to Starwood 7 years ago and have been platinum ever since. But no matter how many stays I have in the future or how much money I spend on meeting/hotel rooms in the future, I'll never have access to LTPP, only because I didn't switch earlier. It's a bummer.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
People born in the late 90s on will also never be eligible for LTPP regardless of how many gazillion dollars they spend.

I think people are losing perspective here. If you stay 75+ nights/yr, you will always have PP status. If you don’t, it really won’t make much difference. The extra 16% points is inconsequential especially if you aren’t staying that much. People keep fantasizing about “future benefits”. Very few loyalty programs actually get enhanced.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by stant
My father is in the same boat: He has well over 600 combined nights, and if SPG points counted he would be at close to 2MM combined points. Yet, he only has 5 years of combined Platinum status. At his age (late 70's), he doesn't think it's worth it to stretch for another 5 years (since he's also Diamond with Hilton). He's Platinum currently, and as of next week will be Platinum Premier. He'll ride it out in 2019, but Marriott Gold is useless, so after next year Hilton will win any stays where lounge access is a consideration.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In response to post #28 above, which I forgot to quote:

Legacy MR practice IIRC was NOT to send the lifetime card until you fell to that status level or below. So for instance as PP, I didn't get my LTP card from MR.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Nov 30, 2018 at 11:53 am
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
People born in the late 90s on will also never be eligible for LTPP regardless of how many gazillion dollars they spend.

I think people are losing perspective here. If you stay 75+ nights/yr, you will always have PP status. If you don’t, it really won’t make much difference. The extra 16% points is inconsequential especially if you aren’t staying that much. People keep fantasizing about “future benefits”. Very few loyalty programs actually get enhanced.
The same is true for all the billions of "people" who are not yet born or even not yet conceived, plus all of their descendants.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: AGR S+, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by KneesCrushed
I And the reason why is that Marriott can’t figure out how to pull the data from SPG’s IT systems.

This is unacceptable. First, it’s IT. Figure it out, guys. I know it’s hard but everyone else has.
Now you know why. Even semi-competent IT people that are CompTIA Security+ certified learned not to have open remote desktop ports to the Internet. Their "IT people" are probably just sitting there watching Netflix all day.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!

Fair enough. Then why when you are making a new program would you bother making ltpp for just the first year? Have ltg and ltp and that's it - if that's the only two categories for lifetime membership that you plan to have.

I have ammassed spg points worth tens of thousands of dollars via my stays. In my case 16% would be about $6k. Im only 43 and travel 95% the time for leisure. I havehmany more stays in my future. That's money out of my back pocket should I fall under 75 nights... Maybe that wouldn't bother you, it makes me question my loyalty to the program.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
People keep fantasizing about “future benefits”. Very few loyalty programs actually get enhanced.
That's because your memory is failing you. Back when the economy was weak we received proper improvements such as breakfast at all SPG brand hotels and suites becoming eligible for upgrades, not to mention some pretty fabulous promos...

Eventually we'll get a recession and if it's bad enough we'll get more perks sent our way. No reason to aim for lifetime status of course, but still...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.