FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Card Signup offer - 3 Free Night Certs in lieu of points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1942780-card-signup-offer-3-free-night-certs-lieu-points.html)

JShLin Nov 27, 2018 10:43 pm

Card Signup offer - 3 Free Night Certs in lieu of points

So, prefacing this by saying that I stay at Marriott's very occasionally, and mostly have Platinum status as a result of UA Gold. I was actually considering which Marriott card to get, especially since they have the same signup bonuses of 75k points, when I got the following email offer from Chase.

receive 3 Free Night Award E-Certificates you must make purchases totaling $3,000 or more during the first 3 months from account opening. Each Free Night Award E-Certificate is valid for a one night hotel stay at a property with a redemption level up to 35,000 points...Each Anniversary Free Night Award issued will have an expiration of 12 months...
Now... That has a theoretical value of 105k points, 30 more than the standard bonus, and I haven't seen a 100k offer since June, which I missed. Now... obviously, the points are more flexible than these certs, given they are functionally category 5 only, as at a cat 4 or below the points would be equivalent or better... Thoughts from the Marriott experts?

background time - I have been considering a number of hotel cards as of late - the SPG Amex, Marriott Chase Visa, Hilton Amex, Hyatt Chase.... you get the picture. Since my travels are mostly in the Hilton/marriott family, I was planning on applying for the Amex cards - thoughts on overall which is better - the Marriott Chase card, or the Amex? Near as far as I can tell, they are identical.

Best - JSL

sdsearch Nov 28, 2018 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by JShLin (Post 30474617)
So, prefacing this by saying that I stay at Marriott's very occasionally, and mostly have Platinum status as a result of UA Gold. I was actually considering which Marriott card to get, especially since they have the same signup bonuses of 75k points, when I got the following email offer from Chase.

Now... That has a theoretical value of 105k points, 30 more than the standard bonus, and I haven't seen a 100k offer since June, which I missed. Now... obviously, the points are more flexible than these certs, given they are functionally category 5 only, as at a cat 4 or below the points would be equivalent or better... Thoughts from the Marriott experts?

background time - I have been considering a number of hotel cards as of late - the SPG Amex, Marriott Chase Visa, Hilton Amex, Hyatt Chase.... you get the picture. Since my travels are mostly in the Hilton/marriott family, I was planning on applying for the Amex cards - thoughts on overall which is better - the Marriott Chase card, or the Amex? Near as far as I can tell, they are identical.

Best - JSL

it's only 105k if you (a) use all 3 certs before they expire,and (b) use them all 35k point hotels. The thing is, for starters, is that because they're implementing low (30k) and high (40k) season rates for those hotels, it's unclear how many hotels will be at exactly 35k for how much of the year. So in many places, it might be a maximum of 30k, not 35k, and that takes it down to 90k.

And that's assuming that you actually need the 35k / 30k hotel. Perhaps a 25k (or 20k in low season) is actually the better hotel for you, in that case you might be getting only 75k or 60k total from the 3 certs.

So IMHO this kind offer (which Chase has done before multiple times on Ritz cards, even if not ever on Marriott cards) is meant to trick people into thinking they're getting more value than they actually will get.

Also, I think I heard getting that high a status from UA Gold at Marriott may be in its last year? Double check on what status UA Gold will give you next year.

Supposedly (based on an announced made months before the merger), Amex is only going to have the rights to market the business and "luxury" versions of the Marriott cards once the new program is finalized, while Chase is only going to have the rights to market the non-"luxury" personal Marriott cards. That may explain why for this "limbo" period when there is all this overlap they all seem so similar.

Btw, in case you haven't noticed, you can probably only apply for one personal Marriott card. They tend to have T&Cs that rule out getting approved (or at least getting the signup bonus) if you have or have "recently enough" had a Marriott card from either Chase or Amex. (That is because they're both checking with Marriott as to what card bonuses you've earned.)

MSPeconomist Nov 28, 2018 7:20 pm

1. Free night certs expire.

2. You can't pay additional points to redeem them at a higher category property or for an upgraded room.

3. With free night certs, you lose the fifth night free feature of award bookings with points. So when you compare this offer to points, if you can arrange your award stays to take advantage of the fifth night free, you need to adjust for the points needed for 3/4 of an additional night.

JShLin Nov 29, 2018 12:08 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 30477938)
So IMHO this kind offer (which Chase has done before multiple times on Ritz cards, even if not ever on Marriott cards) is meant to trick people into thinking they're getting more value than they actually will get.

Also, I think I heard getting that high a status from UA Gold at Marriott may be in its last year? Double check on what status UA Gold will give you next year.

Supposedly (based on an announced made months before the merger), Amex is only going to have the rights to market the business and "luxury" versions of the Marriott cards once the new program is finalized, while Chase is only going to have the rights to market the non-"luxury" personal Marriott cards. That may explain why for this "limbo" period when there is all this overlap they all seem so similar.

Btw, in case you haven't noticed, you can probably only apply for one personal Marriott card. They tend to have T&Cs that rule out getting approved (or at least getting the signup bonus) if you have or have "recently enough" had a Marriott card from either Chase or Amex. (That is because they're both checking with Marriott as to what card bonuses you've earned.)

Thank you! So it's pretty much what I figured- and ilI' probably apply for the Amex personal card then, before it disappears- hopefully, chase will still issue the Marriott card in >2 years, so potentially double dip bonuses.

And you are correct - UA status equalling plat is only through January as a "consolation prize" for the program merger. Afterwards, it's new gold.