Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

HEADS UP if you have a ex-SPG reservation on points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ti/LTP, Hilton Diamond, Sixt AC, Hertz PC

I was looking through my upcoming reservations and noticed that the one for the W Maldives changed confirmation number and now shows up as a paid one, despite the fact that the points have been taken from my account early October. I highly recommend everyone to double check and call in to get it fixed, otherwise it will be a quite expensive surprise.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Kaloz
I was looking through my upcoming reservations and noticed that the one for the W Maldives changed confirmation number and now shows up as a paid one, despite the fact that the points have been taken from my account early October. I highly recommend everyone to double check and call in to get it fixed, otherwise it will be a quite expensive surprise.
Paid or cash? If paid, it would be quite a pleasant surprise, no?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:59 pm

I noticed point room reservations for Dec 31 states certificate required before check in implying points haven't been deducted by they were deducted at least 10 months ago.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
I noticed point room reservations for Dec 31 states certificate required before check in implying points haven't been deducted by they were deducted at least 10 months ago.
Marriott used certificates to "pay" the hotel for the award. That is just a note to the hotel that it is an award reservation.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ti/LTP, Hilton Diamond, Sixt AC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Paid or cash? If paid, it would be quite a pleasant surprise, no?
Sorry, cash. And even after it’s a point reservation again there are now additional charges ($1010) compared to the original booking o.O
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Kaloz
Yes, calling to confirm what you booked is appropriate. However, do not rely upon the website to maintain your booking details, always ensure you get a confirmation AND KEEP IT! Many of these systems only maintain a rate code that points to a file with the rate details. This cuts maintaining a lot of duplicate data saving computer space (once very expensive). At any time the property can go in and change the rate details of a particular rate code and the new text will show the next time you pull up your rez. Fortunately, changing the detail does not change what they charge for the room, but it's unnerving to see a rate increase even if it's not accurate.

In your case, the new confirmation number is a surprise and may indicate more was done to the rez. Again, contact is appropriate and they should be able to fix any errors. Having the original confirmation is crucial.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
I have an award stay next week at a LM. The reservation indicated the same, i.e. needed a e-cert, even though the points had been deducted in September. I called and the agent was able to re-attach the e-cert to the reservation and it looks fine know. It might be worth a call to get it sorted before your stay as resolving it while checking in might be a longer process.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:21 am

Had same problem, learnt that was issue due to W merged into Marriott booking system after contacted the hotel. All sorted now, additional charges ($1010) to pay was $60 tax and $950 sea plane for two.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:55 am

I have an SPG points rez in Hawaii coming up. It doesn't say anything, that I see, about points or anything. It says the suite upgrade request is pending but that's it. Hmmmmmmmm....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.