Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Miri Marriott Resort & Spa, Sarawak, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2005, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD / BA / AF

I can't find information about this property anywhere.

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/MYYMC

Has anyone stayed, either since it's been the Marriott or before, when it was the RIHGA Royal Hotel Miri?
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:58 am

Programs: Too much flying; Lots of hotels
Although a bit late, I will offer up a brief review - having stayed both before and since it became a Marriott.

Much cleaner now, with most of the rooms having been renovated. Can't say all for sure, because it does appear in some of the outer buildings that the second floor carpets are still around from the Rihga Royal days.

Good pool bar, but must say the restaurant is rather plain. Mandara Spa is pretty good, with high prices by Malaysian standards, but very reasonable prices by the standards (read resort) that one typically finds at resort spas.

As with most Marriott properties, HSIA is a major profit center.

Otherwise, it is the only western business hotel in Miri, so it tends to look better by comparison to local choices.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:22 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Review of the Miri Marriott Resort & Spa, Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia

November 2013, 3 night stay.

|| THE MIRI MARRIOTT RESORT & SPA || Miri || Sarawak || Borneo || Malaysia || Our 3 night stay in November 2013 || by || UggBoy♥UggGirl || PHOTO || WORLD || TRAVEL ||, on Flickr

It was always our dream to stay at the most exotic Marriott. When we planned our Malaysia trip, we saw the time was right to go to Miri. We used Marriott Rewards points for our stay.

Everyone we have spoken to in Kuala Lumpur or Kota Kinabalu was surprised about our choice and couldn't believe we hadn't anything to do with the oil industry and wanted to spend three nights in Miri, located on the island of Borneo and the State of Sarawak. "It's not nice; it’s boring and just an oil town." was what we heard quite often.

Intrigued we went to KK airport for our flight. A delay of an hour was announced. We used the time to explore the facilities. The Malaysia Airlines ATR turbo prop plane arrived earlier than thought, so we were boarding half an hour after we should have left. The flight was smooth and enjoyable.

As always we bought a taxi voucher at the arrivals hall. Again it cost 30 MYR (ca. 6.95 Euro or ca. 9.40 USD).

At the hotel the taxi's doors were opened for us; our luggage was taken and we received a warm welcome from the door man and bell captain.

The lobby was partly open air and had a tropical flair like the whole resort. We liked the natural air conditioning, the fans and the fountain in the middle. There were also a lot of seating spaces, the business center, the Lush Bar, a tour operator and the Borneo Baking Company.

On the lower ground floor were the Zest Restaurant and the Mandara Spa. There was also an exit to the pool and gardens with the Matahari Pool Bar.

The lobby also offered stunning views over the pool scape and the South China Sea.

At check in we received a welcome drink. The staff was friendly and the check-in process was quick.

The bell captain brought us to our room. There were two wings the main building called Seahorse Wing and the Hornbill Wing.

We stayed at the Hornbill Wing in the Orchid Section. The location was very quiet and when we opened the door to our terrace we could hear the sea, birds, insects and the wind. It was very romantic.

The room was large and tiled. We received twin beds and had a large TV, comfortable seating area and a writing desk. The colors were held in brown tones and dark furniture. Our terrace was furbished with two chairs and a coffee table and overlooking the garden.

The TV channel selection was the smallest we had so far in Malaysia, but since we were rarely on the room it didn't matter.

The bathroom was large with a bath tub/shower combination, a sink, toilet and Aroma Therapy Essentials by Marriott amenities. These should be exchanged by now with Thann Native, a Thai company.

There is also 24 hours room service available.

After making us familiar with the room we went to the lobby to book two tours. Unfortunately the tour operator had already closed, even though it stated they should still have open. While I was on the look out for paper and a pen to write down the phone number and call the agent, my better half met the Operations Manager Gilbert Webber, who called the operator for us and organized the tours we wanted.

He took a few minutes to chat with us and asked if we were going to the Mulu Caves.

The Miri Marriott has three types of guests - business (from the oil industry - we saw for example a meeting of Petronas), tourists, who come to see the natural wonders of Sarawak like the Mulu Caves and Bruneians including expats, staying for a few days.

Mr. Webber told us also a secret. Marriott is going to open a hotel in Mulu at some stage this year.

Mr. Webber is a great asset and a fixer, so if you should have ever problems during your stay go to him.

After having solved this we had coffee, watermelon juice and cheesecake at the Borneo Baking Company. It was delicious and the staff very kind and interested in where we were from. We paid 69 MYR (ca. 16.00 Euro or ca. 21.60 USD).

During our stay we had room service and tried different dishes like Nasi Goreng Kampung, Telur Dada with onion and chili, a Malaysian egg dish served for breakfast, Spaghetti Bolognese and much more. Our in room breakfast cost between 107 MYR and 116 MYR (ca. 24.80 Euro to 26.85 Euro or ca. 33.45 USD to ca. 36.25 USD), while the most expensive dinner was 146 MYR (ca. 33.80 Euro or ca. 45.60 USD). The meals were all scrummy and of high quality. The portions were huge and sometimes it seemed they were made not for one, but two or more people.

On our first full day we went in the morning on the Miri City Tour and returned in the early afternoon. We were hungry and wanted to try Zest. A large group was already in the restaurant and taking part in the buffet. One member of staff told us no a la carte menu was available. We were disappointed and after a short discussion with the staff decided to go to the Borneo Baking Company again.

Enter Gilbert Webber. He had a short chat with us and the Maitre d, not the same person as the one telling us only the buffet was at our disposal and soon we were sitting in Zest and were handed the a la carte menu. We spent a very pleasant time at Zest and enjoyed an Energy Booster, two Natural Beauty cocktails, one Pizza Salami and one Ikan Masak Lemak, mackerel with coconut turmeric sauce.

The spices of the fish dish were well balanced. The pizza was also very good with a lot of cheese. It was yummy. The cost was 142 MYR (ca. 32.90 Euro or 44.35 USD).

If Mr. Webber hadn't saved the situation we might have gone away with a negative impression. In this case we would happily return to Zest.

Later in the day we spent time at the free flowing pool. The water was warm, the sun was shining and even though the pool was used by others including kids, it was peaceful and quiet. There were enough loungers available and they were comfortable.

We also used the swim up bar.

On the other full day we went on a day trip to Brunei, which was our second visit to the Sultanate.

When we arrived at around 8 PM back at the Marriott we were told the electricity was out and the bell captain apologized profusely. It seemed it had been gone for most of the day. Unlike at the Hilton Kuala Lumpur it didn't influence the key cards. We could enter our room and it wasn't too dark, because the emergency light was on. The telephone was also functioning. The room was nicely cool, too.

Having had an early start we were tired. I had caught too much sun and felt unwell, so I wasn't hungry, but my better half wanted something small to eat. It proofed difficult, because nearly all his choices were not available. Finally we found a dessert he had always wanted to try, but not managed to order yet.

The electricity was back on even before room service arrived.

Check out was efficient and warm. We received cookies as good bye present. A very nice touch both of us appreciated.

Having experienced Miri by ourselves we can say we like the city. It has a beautiful park. We had the chance to see the Grand Old Lady - the first oil well in Malaysia - and the largest Taoist Temple in South East Asia beside many other things. The city is manicured and very clean. It reminds us a bit about Bandar Seri Begawan.

Before I forget to mention it, the Miri Marriott has also a fitness center and tennis courts and there are daily activities for children and adults as well as film nights.

Should our travels take us to Miri again we will definitely stay again here, because the staff tries really hard to make your stay a memorable one for the right reasons. They are genuinely interested and seem to be proud to work at the Marriott. The resort is exotic and the rooms are in top condition, if not the most modern.

|| THE MIRI MARRIOTT RESORT & SPA || Miri || Sarawak || Borneo || Malaysia || Our 3 night stay in November 2013 || by || UggBoy♥UggGirl || PHOTO || WORLD || TRAVEL ||, on Flickr

Would we stay at this hotel again? YES!^
Would we recommend this hotel to friend? YES!^

Thank you and always safe travels!

Last edited by uggboy; Feb 8, 2014 at 3:33 pm
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the very detailed trip report! Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:18 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks for the very detailed trip report! Much appreciated.

Cheers.
My pleasure, I hope it will inspire fellow FT'ers to stay at this beautiful hotel too. Miri is a fascinating city to visit.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB
There's an open-air food court on the beach some 3 min walk from the Marriott (airport direction, away from the city center).

I enjoy it every time when visiting Miri. Choose which chef you like most, he'll help you pick from what he's got today and then cook that in front of you. Everything's very fresh, tasty and cheap.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:39 am

A SPG FTer just posted their experience (seems to be a good one) of this property in the SPG report your experiences after the merger/link thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27478367-post117.html

Further discussions re: the property should probably stay in this one though, as that's a compare experiences linking thread.

Cheers.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 4:35 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Mini review: Feb 2017

Hi all,

Returned back to this property just a week ago after my last stay about 2-3 years ago.
I can only report back that this property has really spruced up after the (ongoing) renovation of the rooms.

Check-in: Fast and efficient. Arrived around 1330 hrs and my room was already ready (did online check-in but indicated arrival around 1500hrs). Was asked about the Plat amenities. Was given a room in one of the wings (can't remember which one - but a renovated one)
Luggage was brought to the room (if you have bulky items -best to have this brought to your room as there do not seem to be any elevators at these wings).

Room: Was very refreshing to come into a room that was not dark, but airy, with nice modern, simple decoration. The floors are now the parquet type of floors. Very good layout of the room with ample space for luggage and other items.
Bathroom: This is also renovated and it is very much refreshed and well lit. It is the new type of style where you can have a view into your room during shower (or closed with a shade if not). Only complain would be that it's only with a bathtub which was on the high side - so for those with difficulties climbing over such height, it could be dangerous (I did have a small slip after putting crossing over with one leg and hit my other knee).

Breakfast: Still comp for Plat members (I think it is also for Gold - as per my last stay when I was a lowly Gold). Again very good spread and friendly staff. Since it was during the weekdays, occupancy seemed to be low - was nearly always the only one at breakfast if you arrive around 0800 hrs.

Pool area: It seems that they have also renovated the pool area - can't remember exactly, but it looked new-isch.

Internet: Was not too bad - there was no real option to choose between premium or normal. Speed was ok but tends to be slow during the evenings.

On my last day close to the weekend, there was more guests coming in, so the different f&b areas become more lively - and not just a few people.

My only complain about the place is the charges for the drinks/food. Way overpriced in my opinion. Luckily they seem to have this semi-permanent Happy hour (starts around 16hrs and lasted till around 2200 hrs from Mon-Thurs, and in the weekends until 0100 hrs) - valid only for beers on tap and house wine. Cocktails were in my opinion way overpriced (they have different level of pricing for cocktails).

All in all, I am very happy with the price and value paid especially as a Plat member (which I felt received quite a good treatment here).

Will certainly return to this property if I am in the area.

Cheers!

ps: for those wanting some good local food, just across the hotel are a couple of restaurants which served really good and tasty/cheap local food incld beer (e.g Tanjung Restaurant - which I visited the last time I was here). Would stick to these places rather than head down to the city center/waterfront area for the food (which I tried and was very dissapointed).
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:29 am

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
A SPG FTer just posted their experience (seems to be a good one) of this property in the SPG report your experiences after the merger/link thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27478367-post117.html

Further discussions re: the property should probably stay in this one though, as that's a compare experiences linking thread.

Cheers.
That was me. That was me. I should add that there was some crossed wires at this hotel after I checked in and said that I'd booked it because I was SPG Platinum and we now got status at Marriotts (at least I think that's what I said) because word went round that I was a senior manager from Starwood and they treated me like a king. I did correct them but they still treated me well. It's a good property but not one that's likely to be on most tourists' itinerary.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Any recent reviews on this hotel? I'm staying there this weekend.

The lounge has been in touch with me already about my upcoming stay and I inquired about room upgrades. They told me no problem.

Question is...should I take a newish/refurbed room or should I take the upgrade? The lounge lady told me the upgraded rooms (suites) are not refurbed yet.

Just curious what you would do.

Thanks,
RM
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:23 am

I'd go w/ the suite for the extra room. They seem to be 2-3x the size of the rooms. But if you're only there for a weekend, it might not matter as much.

Cheers.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Lounge? There's a lounge now? There wasn't last year when I was there as a Plat.

If there is a lounge there now then can you post a review of it please. What do you get?

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Any recent reviews on this hotel? I'm staying there this weekend.

The lounge has been in touch with me already about my upcoming stay and I inquired about room upgrades. They told me no problem.

Question is...should I take a newish/refurbed room or should I take the upgrade? The lounge lady told me the upgraded rooms (suites) are not refurbed yet.

Just curious what you would do.

Thanks,
RM
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:37 pm

A lounge would not contact someone. I think he meant the concierge reached out to him.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.