Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Qualifying for 2019 Platinum in 2018 by [25 SPG property] stays

Qualifying for 2019 Platinum in 2018 by [25 SPG property] stays

Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:15 am

For purposes of requalifcation by stays, Will they count multiple hotel rooms next month at Starwood as multiple stays since old rules apply?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Roka
For purposes of requalifcation by stays, Will they count multiple hotel rooms next month at Starwood as multiple stays since old rules apply?
No. That ended on Aug 18.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Roka
The official answer is no, counting multiple rooms will no longer happen. YMMV. Some hotels may still be giving credit, but the program chiefs have made it clear that is no longer the rule; the same ones who made it clear stays will still be a way to qualify.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
just finished my 25th legacy SPG stay last week and it have already been posted to my account.

do I need to contact Marriott/SPG or just need to wait and see until 1/1/2019?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by sandyph
just finished my 25th legacy SPG stay last week and it have already been posted to my account.

Since that is a legacy rule waiting until SOMETIME in January for the sweep is necessary. The current system only follows current program rules.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sandyph

You need to wait and see, but much later than 1/1/2019. All that they've said is "early 2019", so I think you can rule next October , but I wouldn't even bet on it necessarily being done by the end of January. Hopefully, yes, count on it,no.

Status lasts through February of a given year, so they may feel they have until late February to figure it all out.

To put it another way, i would expect it to all go as smoothly as the merger so far, and be pleasantly surprised if it goes much better.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Since that is a legacy rule waiting until SOMETIME in January for the sweep is necessary. The current system only follows current program rules.
Originally Posted by sdsearch
You need to wait and see, but much later than 1/1/2019. All that they've said is "early 2019", so I think you can rule next October , but I wouldn't even bet on it necessarily being done by the end of January. Hopefully, yes, count on it,no.

Status lasts through February of a given year, so they may feel they have until late February to figure it all out.

To put it another way, i would expect it to all go as smoothly as the merger so far, and be pleasantly surprised if it goes much better.
yeah, not gonna hold my breath.
lucky I have no plan till March so if they decide not to honor their T&C then I will just stay at Hiltons and GHAs
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
FYI, was on the phone with a Marriott agent who was absolutely insistent that the legacy 25 stay requirement had to be met by the mid-August merger date, that's it's been the "new rules in place since then, and also insistent that he had read this on the Marriott Rewards website, yet invited me to call back or e-mail with anything from Marriott that would clarify that.

So, called back with the Terms & Conditions excerpt quoted above, spoke to a different agent who knew this as well, and was happy to notate my account accordingly "in case you get an agent like that again."
RogerD408 and margarita girl like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by skye1
FYI, was on the phone with a Marriott agent who was absolutely insistent that the legacy 25 stay requirement had to be met by the mid-August merger date, that's it's been the "new rules in place since then, and also insistent that he had read this on the Marriott Rewards website, yet invited me to call back or e-mail with anything from Marriott that would clarify that.

So, called back with the Terms & Conditions excerpt quoted above, spoke to a different agent who knew this as well, and was happy to notate my account accordingly "in case you get an agent like that again."
Let's just hope the double stay/night promo is counted as part of the 25 stays.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SPG-Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat
Made it to 25 stays and now what?

I called Marriott a few weeks ago when I had 23 stays in SPG Properties for 2018. I got transferred around and finally a helpful lady who told me she was from Starwood looked at my account and agreed with me that I had made it to 23 stays and at 25 would re-qualify for Platinum status for 2019. She confirmed this included the two "stays" posted to my account in January 2018 form my SPG American Express card.
Now I have reached 25 stays and like everyone else want to see this updated. I called today and got transferred to a Platinum desk, and the gentlemen told me that once per week they are scanning people's Starwood accounts and updating the expiration date of their Platinum status.

I don't feel comfortable sitting in limbo for three weeks while we wait for them to figure it out, and on the Marriott app there is no place where my Platinum status has an expiration date. I plan to call back in a week after nothing has happened to see what that explanation will be.

Really missing Starwood...
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by rosscali
I called Marriott a few weeks ago when I had 23 stays in SPG Properties for 2018. I got transferred around and finally a helpful lady who told me she was from Starwood looked at my account and agreed with me that I had made it to 23 stays and at 25 would re-qualify for Platinum status for 2019. She confirmed this included the two "stays" posted to my account in January 2018 form my SPG American Express card.
Now I have reached 25 stays and like everyone else want to see this updated. I called today and got transferred to a Platinum desk, and the gentlemen told me that once per week they are scanning people's Starwood accounts and updating the expiration date of their Platinum status.

I don't feel comfortable sitting in limbo for three weeks while we wait for them to figure it out, and on the Marriott app there is no place where my Platinum status has an expiration date. I plan to call back in a week after nothing has happened to see what that explanation will be.

Really missing Starwood...
Yes, the CSRs are all over the place regarding the 25 stays. It is not being reported on the website or the app. We are dependent upon the January sweep to pick this up. My suggestion is to capture all the stays to prove your qualification if needed after the sweep. I'm expecting another IT scramble to correct errors and another (or is that continuing) phone backlog with members trying to get things worked out. Good Luck.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Has anyone gotten their legacy SPG stay based status to post before the "sweep" in Jan 2019 using their Amex stays?

I have curtailed my Marriott/SPG stays this year after the IT disaster, but still racked up 23 legacy SPG stays and have the old SPG Amex.

Wondering if I need to call in or if there is no expectation of it working until the sweep? Or maybe the Amex stays don't really count?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BallardFlyer
Has anyone gotten their legacy SPG stay based status to post before the "sweep" in Jan 2019 using their Amex stays?

I have curtailed my Marriott/SPG stays this year after the IT disaster, but still racked up 23 legacy SPG stays and have the old SPG Amex.

Wondering if I need to call in or if there is no expectation of it working until the sweep? Or maybe the Amex stays don't really count?
You MIGHT be lucky enough to find a CSR that knows how and is willing to bump your status, but do not expect the system to do it on its own. The current code is devoid of all legacy rules and the guess is the January sweep will get you caught up and I am sure there will be no retro credit for any points (bonuses) earned between when you met the threshold and January. I also expect there will be some additional glitches that they did not program into the sweep where we will be told to tamp sand or maybe a manual override. We won't know until it happens AND if we keep on top of what they forgot.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Southwest Rapid Rewards A-List, HHonors Gold
Bumping this thread - has anyone been confirmed extended Platinum status through stays only for 2018?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Yes - my SPG Plat year counter went up by 1 pre-8/18 when I hit my 25th stay (was only at 40-ish nights at the time)

But good luck getting recognition of it from Marriott now...you should but it's Marriott and all...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.