Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Qualifying for 2019 Platinum in 2018 by [25 SPG property] stays

Qualifying for 2019 Platinum in 2018 by [25 SPG property] stays

Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Depending upon the CSR agent you talk to yes and no. However, they really should and expect it to work out that way. If you have a screenshot showing your total stays before the merger and any stays afterwards, I would expect it to be honored. You might try a PM to the Lurkers to see if they have any better info.
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
No special knowledge here; however, I'm already on record as having said that if the nights are accounted for, then it logically follows that the stays will be as well once they do the year-end true-up.
Thanks both for the advice. Unfortunately I don't have a screen shot, but do have confirmation of registration in the double nights/double stays promo and the double nights are accounted for in my account.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by cmx
I have tried a half dozen times to get a response from support, but it is impossible--as we know the merger is a disaster. Is there any way to determine how many stays you have outside of counting them up? I believe there is a discrepancy between the number of stays that I have and that are in my legacy Starwood account (I know I should have kept a spreadsheet). I have sent a variation of this message several times, receiving a response similar to the one posted below each time:
See Post 113 for directions to determine your SPG qualifying STAYS.
Make your spreadsheet before sending an email.

I completed the spreadsheet, My 25th (threshold) STAY was POST 8/18.
Forwarded to William at [email protected] (per his direction)
Include stay history, your "Old SPG" and your "new SPG" number. (if you have merged accounts, that is the number you would provide)

Do NOT cloud the issue with any legacy Marriott activity on the spreadsheet. STAYS, not NIGHTS are what you are looking for. Reminder - 3 nights at one hotel is one STAY. Add your POST 8/18 STAYS into the spreadsheet.

Note: unless you have the data first to make your case, please do not take up the Lurker's time. He forwarded it to the proper place. After 8 days - I received an mail indicating that they recognized me crossing the threshold, and that the date of the sweep is presently unknown, therefore the agent manually moved my status to Platinum. (YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY!!)

So boys and girls... YES, it can be done. (Thank you William for routing the request) Hard data and patience are your friends.

And the humorous part - The Web App indicates my level as Platinum Elite..... and the little dial show 35 Nights this year - Only 15 more to Platinum Elite

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Ok. Assuming for a moment they DO honor the SPG stays commitment, will they honor double stay/double nights promo from earlier in the year when it comes to legacy SPG property stay count? My account still counts the nights as double, I’m not terribly confident it will count stays as double.

Go into the Pre-8/18 SPG info referenced in the link above. That will show you what SPG has for your STAY total up to 8/18. If it is in there, it will very likely be counted. If not.....well..good luck. Note: I did not have any of the Double Stay credits and cannot speak to it. However, if it was credited to your SPG account prior to 8/18, it should be visible via the link in your account.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
They're not. Don't kid yourself.
There's some talk of a year-end sweep for a few different things, but with SPG stay-based status, be prepared to fight for your status in early 2019 with manual calculations of your 25+ SPG-only stays.

Well, OK, but my experience would indicate otherwise.

Recommendation to all: GO GET THE DATA AND MAKE YOUR SPREADSHEET. HAVE YOUR INFORMATION READY, AND..IF YOU HAVE CROSSED THE TRESHOLD, REQUEST A REVIEW. The worst that will happen is that they tell you to wait for the sweep, but then you will have your data. Nowhere in the merger information did it indicate WHEN status would be granted if you met this one time qualification. The argument for getting it now is that you have crossed the threshold and Marriott award NIGHTS qualifications when that threshold is crossed.
Frankly, I was skeptical..but… this one came through. ^ ^

There are those that will state "you should not have to do that manually". Well.. probably not, and therefore you can sit around and wait for a sweep. Me? I am now a Happy Plat thru Feb 2020.

Last edited by xzh445; Oct 11, 2018 at 1:54 pm
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by xzh445

Well, OK, but my experience would indicate otherwise.
Rather strange that you suggest your experience indicates otherwise when my entire point is that you need to track your own SPG stays and manually contact Marriott - exactly as you have done. It's great that they've done it now rather than given you excuses why it can't be done until a year-end sweep is supposedly going to happen.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:15 pm

Rather strange that you suggest your experience indicates otherwise when my entire point is that you need to track your own SPG stays and manually contact Marriott - exactly as you have done. It's great that they've done it now rather than given you excuses why it can't be done until a year-end sweep is supposedly going to happen.
No need to get mif-fed craig.
I read your reply "They're Not" in post 125, to the post in 123 as indicating that the Stays were not being tracked.... at all.
If I mis-read that. My apologies.
As you note....Manually track it and compile the Data.
One item of note:
I would not recommend not contact "Marriott" - at least legacy Marriott. Again..I hope I have not mis-read that.

Any request one sends in should be to a @starwoodhotels or @spg address.
Marriott????? Fuhghedaboudit.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, MR Gold, Aeroplan 25K
Hopes raised, hopes dashed. Received a response to my September 20 email to Research re: my stays during the Double Stays promo not counting double. The system showed all of the stays and counted the nights as double, but did not recognize the double stays. Just to make sure it was clear what I was talking about I itemized the stays in question.

Excitedly opened the response only to find a generic "we've been really busy fixing things" message and a request that I check to see if my problem is still a problem and if it is to resubmit by clicking a link with a further response to come within 72 hours. Given I am still showing as Gold rather than Platinum I resubmitted. (Sigh)
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital
Hopes raised, hopes dashed. Received a response to my September 20 email to Research re: my stays during the Double Stays promo not counting double. The system showed all of the stays and counted the nights as double, but did not recognize the double stays. Just to make sure it was clear what I was talking about I itemized the stays in question.

Excitedly opened the response only to find a generic "we've been really busy fixing things" message and a request that I check to see if my problem is still a problem and if it is to resubmit by clicking a link with a further response to come within 72 hours. Given I am still showing as Gold rather than Platinum I resubmitted. (Sigh)
Hmmm, major bummer indeed. I did not receive the Double Stay bonus offer (it appears to have been targeted). Looked like it was offered in Feb/March of this year.
Is there anyone out there that did receive credit for the double stays, that can see it on your SPG Activity Prior to 8/18 link? Curious if it shows a "stays 2" on a single line, or 2 separate line items with 1 Stay. Hopefully you are getting close to 25 and will make it before year end.
I did have 2 credit card STAYS and they show up on the SPG Activity link. I believe someone dis s screen shot up thread.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by cmx
I have tried a half dozen times to get a response from support, but it is impossible--as we know the merger is a disaster. Is there any way to determine how many stays you have outside of counting them up? I believe there is a discrepancy between the number of stays that I have and that are in my legacy Starwood account (I know I should have kept a spreadsheet). I have sent a variation of this message several times, receiving a response similar to the one posted below each time:

And the response:
Well that CSR is double wrong because even if just looking at nights, 25+ is still gold (and 10+ is silver)
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by GoPhils
Well that CSR is double wrong because even if just looking at nights, 25+ is still gold (and 10+ is silver)
GoPhils,
Perhaps you are not aware, in 2018 as one time event (merger year only), one can qualify as Platinum Elite with 25 SPG property STAYS. 25 Stays or 50 Nights was the previous SPG threshold for Platinum. SPG differentiated between STAYS and NIGHTS. Marriott only uses NIGHTS for elite qualification. This exemption was made because the merger/single program occurred mid year (vs starting in Jan)
The discussion is related to Marriott tracking STAYS. From the accounts that we have seen here, if someone passes the 25 STAY threshold, they will manually have to request Platinum level to be applied. Otherwise, it has been indicated that there will be a "sweep" to account for STAYS and status would be applied then.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
GoPhils,
Perhaps you are not aware, in 2018 as one time event (merger year only), one can qualify as Platinum Elite with 25 SPG property STAYS. 25 Stays or 50 Nights was the previous SPG threshold for Platinum. SPG differentiated between STAYS and NIGHTS. Marriott only uses NIGHTS for elite qualification. This exemption was made because the merger/single program occurred mid year (vs starting in Jan)
The discussion is related to Marriott tracking STAYS. From the accounts that we have seen here, if someone passes the 25 STAY threshold, they will manually have to request Platinum level to be applied. Otherwise, it has been indicated that there will be a "sweep" to account for STAYS and status would be applied then.
I’m aware, that’s why I said they were “double” wrong. If they don’t even know what the elite levels are based on nights, then I wouldn’t trust anything they say about achieving status through stays either.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Does re-qualification for Plat using SPG legacy rules in 2018 (i.e. 25 stays at SPG brands) include additional stay credits for multiple rooms booked?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by econ
Does re-qualification for Plat using SPG legacy rules in 2018 (i.e. 25 stays at SPG brands) include additional stay credits for multiple rooms booked?
No, that has been taken off the table across all properties. Members only earn night/stay (stay for legacy SPG only) credit for one room (their room specifically) and points for up to three rooms. Some have reported issues with getting the additional room points, so if you can, ask the FDC to move the charges from the other rooms to your folio at or before you check out.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
No, that has been taken off the table across all properties. Members only earn night/stay (stay for legacy SPG only) credit for one room (their room specifically) and points for up to three rooms. Some have reported issues with getting the additional room points, so if you can, ask the FDC to move the charges from the other rooms to your folio at or before you check out.
Are the STAYS pre-8/18? yes, those will absolutely count for STAY qualification
Post - 8/18? It is a bit murky, but I wouldn't count on it. Single toom STAYS count. Multi room ... I would not bank making the threshold based on them.

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Add me to the list of people who are super skeptical that Marriott is going to make ex-SPGers whole on that promise.

They made good on it for me (qualifying post 8/18 - manual request) but I went thru legacy SPG and not Marriott.
My recommendation is not to count on the "sweep". If you have crossed the 25 STAY threshold, you have qualified, and should be eligible for status bump for the remainder of this year..(same a crossing the threshold for nights).
I you have the documentation, send it in and request the status.
Its not that they are not going to honor the promise. Rather, the Technology platform may or may not recognize it in an automated manner. You can either request it manually now...or wait and see if the sweep works... and THEN request it manually, if it doesn't. But if you have met the threshold already....why wait? You can use the status immediately for any remaining stays this year.

Last edited by xzh445; Oct 21, 2018 at 7:20 pm
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve

Are the STAYS pre-8/18? yes, those will absolutely count for STAY qualification
Post - 8/18? It is a bit murky, but I wouldn't count on it
I'm wondering about post 8/18 stays (and if it makes any difference if reservations were made pre-8/18). Although I'm not counting on it either, and this uncertainty may drive my decision to cancel and rebook elsewhere.

I'd agree that pre-8/18 multiple room stays should count since they would show up as such when looking at account activity, assuming they posted correctly prior to 8/18.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

I'd agree that pre-8/18 multiple room stays should count since they would show up as such when looking at account activity, assuming they posted correctly prior to 8/18.
"should" is the correct term. But can't be 100% certain. Just as the promo double stay credits have disappeared into the ether, so might multiple rooms...

I am so relieved to have done my 25 stays / 50 nights at SPG (thanks to double status credit) before July...
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, MR Gold, Aeroplan 25K
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital

A mere 14 days later I received this...

"Dear DavefromSt.Vital,

Thank you for contacting Marriott regarding your Elite status.

We sincerely apologize that you did not receive a response to your email sooner due the very high volume of e-mails we are receiving now during the peak travel season for our members. We are making every effort to respond to all members as quickly as possible.

Thank you for being a valued Elite member of our program. I understand your frustration with the information currently reflected on your account. Please be assured that this is being looked into and we will update you as soon as possible.

We appreciate you, and thank you for choosing Marriott.

Sincerely,"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.