Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Qualifying for 2019 Platinum in 2018 by [25 SPG property] stays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold

Hello,
I know many of the wise folks on here will know the answer to this.
I have, for the past three years, qualified for SPG Platinum by number of stays. Most of my trips are one or two (mainly one) night stays, and I manage approx. 30 stays and 40 nights per year. Previously I qualified for Platinum, and this year I have 20 stays and 27 nights so far. So it's likely I'll exceed 25 stays but not 50 nights, will I still get Platinum status for 2019?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Yes, but this is the last year where that will be possible.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold
Originally Posted by mtftw
Yes, but this is the last year where that will be possible.
Thank you for the quick reply!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:24 am

How will qualification by stays work once the account are merged? Will the total Marriott stays be added with total SPG stays?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
How will qualification by stays work once the account are merged? Will the total Marriott stays be added with total SPG stays?
No. You have to stay at "legacy" SPG properties to qualify this way. Stays at "legacy" Marriott brands do not count toward your stay-based total, just night-based.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:08 am

And if you already had a Marriott account, I would not merge them until after you hit 25 stays and also make sure your new 9 digit number that is in your Starwood account is the one linked to the reservations.

The only thing I can't seem to find is a stay counter on the new website or app, so you may need to count your stays manually.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:51 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Merging your accounts is not supposed to impact the qualification under legacy SPG rules at only legacy SPG properties by stays for next year's status. So merge away.

Just note that this year is the last year one can qualify for elite status based entirely on SPG legacy rules at only legacy SPG properties--for Gold or Platinum status based on stays versus nights, or for Ambassador status based on 100 nights at legacy SPG hotels without the $20K spending requirement.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
There is only one program left and one version of T&C´s. The "Benefits Overview" on both marriott.com and spg.com website refer to the same T&C´s:

Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions

Three "Legacy Programs" are unified to one "Loyalty Program"

Effective in August 2018, the Marriott Rewards® Program, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Program, and the Starwood Preferred Guest® Program (the “SPG Program”) (each a “Legacy Program”), that were previously operated by Marriott International, Inc. and its subsidiaries, including Marriott Rewards, LLC and Preferred Guest, Inc. (collectively, the “Company”) as three separate programs, will function as one unified program (hereinafter, the “Loyalty Program”) while keeping their separate names for the time being for certain limited purposes.

The Loyalty Program will operate under one set of terms and conditions as set out below unless otherwise expressly stated (the “Program Rules”).

…….

4.2. b.:

……..

In 2018, the Loyalty Program will continue to honor Elite achievement via Qualifying Stays at participating SPG Brands that occur in 2018. Elite achievement via Qualifying Stays is only available until December 31, 2018 and will not be continued thereafter. Participating SPG Brands include: St. Regis® Hotels, The Luxury Collection®, W® Hotels, Sheraton®, Le Méridien®, Westin®, Tribute Portfolio®, Design Hotels TM, Four Points®, Aloft® Hotels and Element®. Members can earn Elite Status via Qualifying Stays under the requirements listed below:
  • Gold Elite: 10 to 24 Qualifying Stays or 25 to 49 Qualifying Nights
  • Platinum Elite: 25 or more Qualifying Stays or 50 to 74 Qualifying Nights
4.2.c. Free Night Award stays will count toward Elite Night Credit.

So whether you book with your original Marriott Rewards account or your new second Rewards account (former SPG account) one stay at former Starwood properties should count as a stay towards elite for all stays until end 2018. I will merge my accounts (as soon as possible).
mile_runner likes this.

Last edited by submonte; Aug 19, 2018 at 1:24 pm
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Qualifying as a Platinum on stays

I was trying to qualify as a Platinum on stays in SPG, and am about 5 nights short of the 25 needed.

Is this still possible to do now? I have not done anything proactively to combine my Marriott account with my SPG account.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Yes you have til EOY to do so
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:08 pm

As far as I can tell there is no counter on the website anymore, so you need to keep track manually.
frenchft likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Joshua
I was trying to qualify as a Platinum on stays in SPG, and am about 5 nights short of the 25 needed.

Is this still possible to do now? I have not done anything proactively to combine my Marriott account with my SPG account.
You can do so but they must be stays at legacy SPG properties.
RogerD408 and frenchft like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
To add to my confusion, I logged into my SPG account (which now is the same thing as Marriott) and it says I'm a "Platinum".

Does legacy SPG Gold map to new Platinum? Does legacy SPG Platinum map to new Platinum Elite?

In other words, is it still worth trying to get in the next few SPG stays needed to make it to Platinum Elite?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Legacy SPG Gold maps to new Gold in the new combined program.

Legacy MR Gold (50 nights) maps to new Plat in the new combined program.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Joshua
To add to my confusion, I logged into my SPG account (which now is the same thing as Marriott) and it says I'm a "Platinum".

Does legacy SPG Gold map to new Platinum? Does legacy SPG Platinum map to new Platinum Elite?

In other words, is it still worth trying to get in the next few SPG stays needed to make it to Platinum Elite?
I would. Legacy SPG plat maps to the new Platinum. If you’re only 5 stays short it’s a no brainer.

Last edited by mtftw; Aug 24, 2018 at 8:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.