Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Qualifying for 2019 Platinum in 2018 by [25 SPG property] stays

Qualifying for 2019 Platinum in 2018 by [25 SPG property] stays

Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I became Plat more than a month prior to the official merger - took no chances even though I could earn through the end of the year, in theory.

As a first time Plat:

Earned one Delta crossover reward on SPG stay
Earned a suite upgrade at check-in the day before the official merger. My only stay after becoming a Play prior to the merger.

Now I am off to Hilton.

Completed 5 of 8 stays through it's Diamond challenge. Upgraded each time.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Personally, I created a spreadsheet years ago to track my stays that allowed me to enter future stays (not yet booked) to see how I will end the year. I made a point of comparing my totals with their online account to make sure everything was up to date. I know, a lot of work, but I did/do value my loyalty accounts and wanted to make sure they were kept current.
Same here - have a spreadsheet w/every flight and hotel stay going back 8 years ago...a lifesaver
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by yurtripper
That's exactly what worries me. Now I have no way of being sure what my status is regarding these former stay credits, which makes it hard for me to plan remaining stays for the year. If I knew these stay credits would be properly recognised (as they were before Aug 18) then I could ensure that I had a few more stays before year end; if they don't get added back though, then it will all have been in vain.

It's the not knowing that's my biggest problem right now. If they turned around tomorrow and said that I could 100% forget any hope of having those stay credits reappear, I'd just cut my losses with MR/SPG and move all future stays to Hilton (where I'd have no problem maintaining Diamond as my main program).
Too soon to give up hope now. There is a lot of work still being done to bring everything together, so you just might be surprised. Even if it doesn't, I suspect you will be able to ask for your account history and check things out. It may be a few weeks after everything settles down before the CSRs have access, but worth a try. Hang in there.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by econ
I'm wondering the same thing as well.

I assumed that they would, but the fact that the new website no longer tracks 2018 SPG stays is making me begin to doubt that assumption.
You can pull your pre 8/18 SPG Stays via the following,
Where to see SPG stays ?

If your double stays were posted prior to 8/18, they will still be available here.
Take the 10 min, pull the info and start a spreadsheet. I have been holding off emailing the research email (Calling probably won't help. The Phone agents don't seem to have been empowered with the access/ability to fix these items) You can easily tally all STAYS. You will also have to manually add in any STAYS post 8/18.

But still...no one is answering - if one has the qualifying STAYS completed now, does one get the status THIS YEAR, or not until Jan 2019? It is not addressed anywhere on the website.

Last edited by xzh445; Sep 8, 2018 at 3:16 pm
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by xzh445
Did you merge accounts? Or, does this show up on your SPG/New Marriott number and Legacy Marriott number show you the 24 nights?
My SPG/Marriott shows 15 nights to platinum, and Marriott shows 25 nights to gold.(no nights booked via Marriott side this year. Oddly enough, I had a 1 night stay this week at a Residence Inn...which I booked thru the SPG/Marriott site. My nights YTD went up, but the activity does not show. Yes, I know that this will not count is SPG Stays for status. Am past 25 SPG Stays...Still waiting for Status to catch up prior to merging accounts. Will be keeping the new SPG Marriott number.

Yes, I did. In the meantime, things have normalized and my status shows Platinum as it should. But it took a couple of days.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by swiss_global
Yes, I did. In the meantime, things have normalized and my status shows Platinum as it should. But it took a couple of days.
Jut to confirm, you:
1) Had qualified for Plat based on SPG STAYS, which had not displayed yet on your SPG account
2) Merged accounts
3) Plat status showed up on your merged account..based on STAYS (you did not hit the Plat level based on number of nights?)
If so, this would be the first encouraging sign that the Status level being earned via STAYS for this year are actually being honored......in the new Marriott realm.

Last edited by xzh445; Sep 8, 2018 at 3:58 pm
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Jut to confirm, you:
1) Had qualified for Plat based on SPG STAYS, which had not displayed yet on your SPG account
2) Merged accounts
3) Plat status showed up on your merged account..based on STAYS (you did not hit the Plat level based on number of nights?)
If so, this would be the first encouraging sign that the Status level being earned via STAYS for this year are actually being honored......in the new Marriott realm.
Yes, indeed. It shows status Platinum, now. And I only qualified by SPG stays (not by overall nights).
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by swiss_global
Yes, indeed. It shows status Platinum, now. And I only qualified by SPG stays (not by overall nights).
....and it was at GOLD prior to merging the accounts? You merged the accounts, and a few days later the "SPG STAYS earned Plat" showed up on your new account? I have been hard line stating that I am not going to merge accounts until everything shows up properly on the new SPG/Marriott account. Then you throw this tidbit into the mix.

Separate question - what happens to the legacy Marriott MR account - one can no longer access that after merging the accounts?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
That's exactly what worries me. Now I have no way of being sure what my status is regarding these former stay credits, which makes it hard for me to plan remaining stays for the year. If I knew these stay credits would be properly recognised (as they were before Aug 18) then I could ensure that I had a few more stays before year end; if they don't get added back though, then it will all have been in vain.

It's the not knowing that's my biggest problem right now. If they turned around tomorrow and said that I could 100% forget any hope of having those stay credits reappear, I'd just cut my losses with MR/SPG and move all future stays to Hilton (where I'd have no problem maintaining Diamond as my main program).
You just need to stay in the appropriate legacy realm if your seeking to elevate your status in 2018 time frame. I achieved SPG Plat post August 18 now that my account is in order and am on my way to Plate Premier. I just need to stay at legacy SPG hotels to achieve this goal is what I've gleaned from other threads on this subject.

Good Luck!
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:10 pm

....and it was at GOLD prior to merging the accounts?
No it was Plat, as I qualified for Plat in late July through stays. During the merger, I always kept Plat status, but was told I needed another 24 nights to requalify for 2019. This has gone, I'm now Plat without any remarks in respect of missing nights.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
You just need to stay in the appropriate legacy realm if your seeking to elevate your status in 2018 time frame. I achieved SPG Plat post August 18 now that my account is in order and am on my way to Plate Premier. I just need to stay at legacy SPG hotels to achieve this goal is what I've gleaned from other threads on this subject.

Good Luck!
Yes, but remember that you need 75 combined nights for PP, not 25 SPG stays plus 25 additional combined nights (whether or not after August 18th).
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
You can pull your pre 8/18 SPG Stays via the following,
Where to see SPG stays ?

If your double stays were posted prior to 8/18, they will still be available here.
Take the 10 min, pull the info and start a spreadsheet. I have been holding off emailing the research email (Calling probably won't help. The Phone agents don't seem to have been empowered with the access/ability to fix these items) You can easily tally all STAYS. You will also have to manually add in any STAYS post 8/18.

But still...no one is answering - if one has the qualifying STAYS completed now, does one get the status THIS YEAR, or not until Jan 2019? It is not addressed anywhere on the website.
Did you read my reply to you on that thread? The legacy interface just shows each stay as 'Stay', but there's no indication of the 2x stays that credited during the SPG Select promo period. The nights, however, do show with the correct 2x multiplier (i.e. 1 night stay during the promo shows 2 nights).

So since I need the stays (not the nights) for Plat qualification, the info available on the legacy interface doesn't solve the problem (the total the CSRs give me does not include any of the extra stay credits I had accrued on my dashboard up to Aug 18).
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc

Good Luck!
Thanks, but while the number of stays the CSRs quote me is still well below the number I had on the old SPG dashboard (due to the extra stay credits from the Select promo being forgotten) I will continue to worry about whether my qualification target is feasible.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Thanks, but while the number of stays the CSRs quote me is still well below the number I had on the old SPG dashboard (due to the extra stay credits from the Select promo being forgotten) I will continue to worry about whether my qualification target is feasible.
My suspicion is once things start to calm down more data will be made available as IT moves off account repair. Keep your records and make contact in maybe a month to see how they've progressed.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer

Will do.
I just received an email response back from Marriott customer services confirming that they were able to check my stay history in that I met the Platinum requalification requirements under the old SPG rules. They therefore confirmed that I will be Platinum until 31 January 2020.

I may need to call in January 2019 to make sure the system shows my Platinum status but at least I have an email which I can use as evidence.

I was very impressed by the quality of the contents of the email. It wasn't cookie cutter and the agent event suggested a few tips based on my next hotel stay.
margarita girl and martyYOW like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.