Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Qualifying for 2019 Platinum in 2018 by [25 SPG property] stays

Qualifying for 2019 Platinum in 2018 by [25 SPG property] stays

Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by S.R
So thats all? As long as I have 25 stays at legacy SPG properties I'll be fine? How can I track this? Will I just need to do it manually myself?
I have a nice spreadsheet going back a decade I'd recommend it as a backup for any flights/hotels
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I'm qualifying on stays this year too. I know that reward bookings still count towards night credit, but does anyone know if they count as a stay still under legacy SPG brands.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by Puckman
I'm qualifying on stays this year too. I know that reward bookings still count towards night credit, but does anyone know if they count as a stay still under legacy SPG brands.
I don't see why not. Both legacy programs counted award nights toward status, as does the new combined one.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Incorrect. Legacy MR Plat (75 nights) maps to PP in the new combined program.
You're correct, my brain slipped the correct name of the program. Post updated.

On a sidenote, why did Marriott have to choose the SAME PRECIOUS METAL for two status levels? Why not Palladium?!
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Puckman
Yes, accumulating 25 stays at SPG properties will earn you Plat status. The question that remains is if this will happen if you combine your accounts and will the status change happen at the time you cross the 25 stays (as it always has) or at year-end? Still lots of questions to be answered.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mtftw
You're correct, my brain slipped the correct name of the program. Post updated.

On a sidenote, why did Marriott have to choose the SAME PRECIOUS METAL for two status levels? Why not Palladium?!
I ask American the same thing. Except they now have Platinum, Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:30 am
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
I assume the 2 stays from the legacy AmEx SPG card play as well for 2018.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
It's been stated many times, in many places, by SPG reps that the SPG status policy still holds through 2018 - 25 stays/50 nights at legacy SPG properties by 12/31/18.

But they haven't shared any way of tracking them or if/how they will automatically update the status when you hit the goal.

If I were in that situation, I'd go ahead and aim for the 25 stays, assuming it will earn status, but I'd be sure to document all of the stays as I suspect it will be a phone call to make it happen.

Kind of sad that we have to trawl messageboards and forums to find this nugget of information. I guess it would have killed them to put it on their website.
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:02 pm

This is very helpful.

I am in a very similar boat as Joshua - need 5 more stays to reach 25 stays this year and re-qualify as what used to be SPG Platinum. I am currently SPG Platinum (or I guess Platinum Elite under the new combined program).

Am I correct that the consensus is:
1. Qualifying for Platinum under the old SPG program with 25 stays by 12/31/18 will qualify us for Platinum Elite under the new combined program?
2. We need to track our own stays so that if there is an issue in 2019 and we are not considered Platinum Elite, we can contest it?

I am dreading having to stay 50 nights next year to reach Platinum again. 25 stays was much more feasible.

Thank you for the comments.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:09 pm

I found this and maybe it will help anyone else in our situation: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...num-stays.html
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I have a nice spreadsheet going back a decade. I'd recommend it as a backup for any flights/hotels
I'm not sure your spreadsheet would help anyone else...
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by cmx
I assume the 2 stays from the legacy AmEx SPG card play as well for 2018.
I'm wondering the same thing as well.

I assumed that they would, but the fact that the new website no longer tracks 2018 SPG stays is making me begin to doubt that assumption.

Last edited by econ; Aug 25, 2018 at 4:54 pm
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Unfortunately, this seems to be yet another bug in the merger ... I had qualified as SPG Plat based on 25 stays late July. (In fact at 26 stays/nights now). Fortunately, I made screenshots etc to document this event.

Now, after the merger, it still shows my status as Plat. BUT: It shows that I need another 24 nights to requalify for 2019 ... this is clearly not what I expected!

Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by swiss_global
Unfortunately, this seems to be yet another bug in the merger ... I had qualified as SPG Plat based on 25 stays late July. (In fact at 26 stays/nights now). Fortunately, I made screenshots etc to document this event.

Now, after the merger, it still shows my status as Plat. BUT: It shows that I need another 24 nights to requalify for 2019 ... this is clearly not what I expected!

I would expect this given the new program doesn't have the stay component. I'm not surprised they did not put any effort into displaying legacy rules since it's only for a few months. Your 25 stays should keep you good till 2020. Keep notes and screenshots so you can cut down on the research they will have to do. I'm hoping their backend is more inclusive than the website/app.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I would expect this given the new program doesn't have the stay component. I'm not surprised they did not put any effort into displaying legacy rules since it's only for a few months. Your 25 stays should keep you good till 2020. Keep notes and screenshots so you can cut down on the research they will have to do. I'm hoping their backend is more inclusive than the website/app.
They are sending you to the old SPG site to display old SPG reservations (in the SPG format, not the Marriott format), so couldn't they send you to the old SPG site to display legacy SPG status? (Right now, if you are taken to the SPG site for existing reservations, if you try to use any link for status, it takes you right back to the Marriott site for SPG with all its problems.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.