Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
Hopefully, Titanium is just a placeholder. My suggestion is Gold> Platinum> Premier> Ambassador.
Premier would be too confusing because Chase calls their Marriott credit cards Premier already.

So people with no status (but having a Chase Marriott credit card) would be walking into hotels claiming they have Premier status because that's what their "card" shows.

AA has enough of that confusion because they let Citi use Gold and Platinum as card names having nothing to do with Gold and Platinum airline status (but some people get confused and think it does).
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The BonVoy name only doesn't seem to make sense because there was marketing slogan attached to it that didn't happen to get leaked:

"We're creating the hotel program which will walk more guests than any other hotel program, as we tell them, well you signed up for BonVoy, so 'bon voyage'!"
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Business trip = voyage d'affaires in French.
Sure, voyage is just trip in French. But "Bon Voyage," which is almost certainly what they were riffing on, is (at least in the US) a phrase we trot out when we're sending off honeymooners or waving from the dock as our parents embark on a cruise. It's not a phrase that I (but maybe I'm weird) associate with business travel.

I think they would have been better off choosing/creating a word/name that spoke to the ideas of loyalty and preferential treatment. That would make more sense for the LOYALTY PROGRAM part of their business.

Barring that, if they wanted to focus on underscoring the best and most attractive aspects of Marriott for their most frequent guests, I would have tried to create a word/name that emphasized consistency and a sense of being welcome/belonging/being known and cared for.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
And I'm amazed how some riffing on whether the name sounds clumpy or not is described in terms of 'despise', 'whine' and 'complain'.

How about some more tolerance when other peoples views differ from one's own ?
As one of the two to whom this comment is directed — I'm the one who posted, "I am amazed how much some folks here despise the name Bonvoy" — please allow me to defend myself.

I was not being intolerant. I was not questioning anyone's right to express an opinion. I was simply noting my surprise to the negative reaction. Bonvoy was called "ridiculous" and "pretty much the lamest loyalty program name imaginable," among other things.

Marriott is likely to introduce the name Bonvoy for its combined loyalty program in early 2019, given such evidence as trademark filings, so it's probably a "done deal" by now.

It seems to me that it's just a name. It's not the best brand name of the past decade, but it's not the worst either. I don't see how fact the bon has a meaning in the French language (a positive meaning) is a bad thing. Commercial neologisms often look to Latin or languages other than English. It's only a leaked name at this point, so it's meaningless now, except for what we each personally read into it. When the marketing begins, Marriott will do its best to give it a meaning. We'll get used to it.

Some day, even spell-checkers are likely to recognize it.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Horace
I don't see how fact the bon has a meaning in the French language (a positive meaning) is a bad thing. Commercial neologisms often look to Latin or languages other than English.
I think it's actually a portmanteau.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:23 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider

Not mutually exclusive

Many portmanteaus (portmanteaux) start off as neologisms
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I am amazed how much some folks here despise the name Bonvoy.

Bonvoy seems like an acceptable commercial neologism. Think of other brands like Avios and Expedia. Such brands usually have Latin roots or other components that suggest meaning, while not being words in the dictionary — but words that can be trademarked, protected, controlled, and are good for online use.

Bon means good in French. Voy suggests travel. And, of course, as others have noted, if you combine Bon Voyage into one word and lop off the final syllable, you get Bonvoy.
I hate Bonvoy less than the made-up, idiotic Starriott that some people are using now.
CCIE_Flyer and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
At first, I was going to call Bonvoy a portmanteau. A portmanteau involves two words blended into one. For example, Disney likes to coin portmanteaus such as Innoventions, Imagineering, and Environmentality. Bonvoy can be seen as portmanteau of bon and voyage, but that’s not how I expect Marriott to present it and market it (I could be wrong).

A neologism is simply a newly coined word or expression.

I also considered calling Bonvoy a “nonsense word” — not an actual word — but “nonsense” could be misinterpreted as negative on my part.

And I thought of just calling it a trademark. After all, trademarks, especially newer ones, are often not dictionary words.

Because Bonvoy is a newly coined word for commercial purposes, I chose to call it a commercial neologism.
damon88, bhrubin and rny321 like this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by lexdevil
Sure, voyage is just trip in French. But "Bon Voyage," which is almost certainly what they were riffing on, is (at least in the US) a phrase we trot out when we're sending off honeymooners or waving from the dock as our parents embark on a cruise. It's not a phrase that I (but maybe I'm weird) associate with business travel.

I think they would have been better off choosing/creating a word/name that spoke to the ideas of loyalty and preferential treatment. That would make more sense for the LOYALTY PROGRAM part of their business.

Barring that, if they wanted to focus on underscoring the best and most attractive aspects of Marriott for their most frequent guests, I would have tried to create a word/name that emphasized consistency and a sense of being welcome/belonging/being known and cared for.
Excellent couple of posts Lexdevil 100 % right on the money. This is why I suggested up thread if they can't knock or almost knock the new name out of the park they should just keep Marriott Rewards. Even "Marriott One" Progam name is better then BoyToy. Marriott One where guest satisfaction is our number One priority. Or we named our new Program One because at Marriott we strive to be Number One in guest satisfaction. Maybe some one likes BonBon Ambassador tier level "it tastes like candy"?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:02 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
At first, I was going to call Bonvoy a portmanteau. A portmanteau involves two words blended into one. For example, Disney likes to coin portmanteaus such as Innoventions, Imagineering, and Environmentality. Bonvoy can be seen as portmanteau of bon and voyage, but that’s not how I expect Marriott to present it and market it (I could be wrong).

A neologism is simply a newly coined word or expression.

I also considered calling Bonvoy a “nonsense word” — not an actual word — but “nonsense” could be misinterpreted as negative on my part.

And I thought of just calling it a trademark. After all, trademarks, especially newer ones, are often not dictionary words.

Because Bonvoy is a newly coined word for commercial purposes, I chose to call it a commercial neologism.

Nonsense and Portmanteau kind of go together- considering that it was Humpty Dumpty who first used the word when he was talking to Alice in Wonderland 🙃
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Someone else actually used Bonvoy before Marriott but they seem to have vanished: https://twitter.com/bonvoy
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lexdevil

I pointed this out in an earlier post in this thread.

OTOH, bon voyage has connotations of people departing, so maybe it's a reference to the elites who claim they're going to leave the new combined Starriott program.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I dont have a screenshot but have had agents show me the screen.

there is a line l that shows a series of codes. The first code shows statua. Then there are codes for things like king bed preferred, high floor, etc and one for ambassador. As far as I can tell, the codes in the Marriott system have not changed but in the past few days I've been recognized at check in as a Plat, a lifetime Plat, and a Plat Premier. One agent was very politely emphatic that X6 stood for lifetime platinum (its plat premier). And there isnt the slightest evidence of any priority for those with ambassadors unless the ambassador contacts the property. Perhaps .... the lack of training can be explained that the various operators knew that new names were coming.
To my knowledge there is no X6 but it's definitely not Lifetime Plat Premier. I myself am Lifetime Plat Premier and my status still comes up as X4 on hotel reservation systems; I've seen it. I don't believe any code or field on the standard display at a Marriott property will display lifetime status. They can go into your account and find that. Another way they can note this is the room coordinator who may be giving out upgrades in the morning for arrivals that day looks at each account and figures out who is lifetime or not; they can put that as a remark or note on your reservation that the front desk agent would then see during check-in.

What should be displayed is the two-character code for your status and then an "L" for lifetime after it which would make this very easy. It's also a ridiculously simple IT change. Given that Marriott.com still tells me the landing page is "Raleigh-Durham Airport Hotel", I don't think anyone on this forum has a shred of confidence the IT department could even figure out how to display the "L".

-RM
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That's exactly the problem. Leaving it would imply there was no change. After a merger like this, you have to change the name.
I don't know that they "have" to change the name - CO/UA kept the UA loyalty program name for example. Though I can understand the potential logic in making a revision.

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
And I'm amazed how some riffing on whether the name sounds clumpy or not is described in terms of 'despise', 'whine' and 'complain'.

How about some more tolerance when other peoples views differ from one's own ?
^
The name isn't a deciding factor for me at all - but that doesn't mean I won't engage in humorous banter about a goofy name. Marriott wouldn't be the first company to have its product or name mocked, and won't be the last.

Over at DoC, reader "PedroNY" commented that he was in a Marriott focus group where this was one of 3 names discussed...

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/marri...rriott-bonvoy/

PedroNY
November 24, 2018 9:59 pmI did a focus group for them 12 months ago, this was one of 3 names that they asked us about through out 2 hours of the focus group. I guess the cat is out of the bag now.

Cheers,

PedroNY
PedroNY
November 25, 2018 9:50 amI signed an NDA, but other two were no better. Lol.

Cheers,

PedroNY
There is an oil tanker with the name BONVOY 6...could this be a foreshadowing of a new theme for room decor? some rusty metal and a tub of crude in your room?

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...essel:BONVOY_6
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:41 pm

I’ve decided the new name sounds like bonfire.

Top tip for Marriott Bonfire members - burn your points before the next devaluation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.